Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:09 AM

23 posts, read 22,734 times

Advertisements

Ok, one thing......no offense to the men but a lot of them think they can do this "themselves"...no need for help. We go to a behavorial person at the pain clinic Feb 25th. We are going to talk to them about this. Right now, I am leaving this alone, also he is only on 10mg every eight hours. Might not seem like much of a dose BUT it still is addictive and with his kidney disease he wants to get off of as much as he can to preserve his kidneys because he will NOT do dialysis. We have already discussed this to death, (pardon the pun). Hope this clarifies some of this. He also has a blockage noted on his stress test BUT he cannot have a heart cath so I understand without it severly affecting his kidneys further. His Cardio doc put him on Lipitor. But again, this month he goes to his nephrologist and we are going to discuss this as well. What a mess... Thanks for listening and letting me rave on.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
what do you mean "he will not do dialysis"? If it will save his life or buy him time till a transplant he wouldn't even consider it? Incredibly sad.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 22,734 times
He is the sort of person that WILL NOT be a burden on anyone and he doesn't want me to see him and MAYBE be a burden on me. Can't argue with him. I'll just pray and wait......

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I was just reading about methadone for pain, and found some information that may be helpful to you.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Your husband may decide that the pain is too severe to completely stop all narcotics. I believe cold turkey is probably a really bad idea for someone with his health issues. His body will strenuously object, and his pain levels will go through the roof.
Short and to the point. ^^^^ this. Its understandable that people don't like the dependency factor, involved with narcotic pain management, but, it is , quite often, far better than the alternative. Stopping, cold turkey, is pretty ambitious, as well. The pain will be hyper stimulated, and in conjunction with the withdrawal symptoms, VERY hard to take.

Personally, I would recommend a serious sit down with the doctor, before taking such a leap.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It will be hell. I am not sure if his BP would be affected. He needs a guided detox, maybe in a hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Your husband should do this under the care and direction of his doctor not on his own. I feel this way with all meds.
I have a pain condition and went to a pain clinic where some were trying to get off meds like you are describing. Many did go through a lot mentally and physically. Some did need to be in the hospital. Also under the care of the pain doctor they can work with your husband on other treatments to help him pain wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
Going cold turkey isn't the best way to get off of methadone. Ask his doctor to taper him off over the next few weeks (so basically keep decreasing the dosage until he is at 0).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I just don't understand why your husband is not doing this with the care and direction of his doctor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
...Somebody without 24/7 pain has no business making a loved one go cold turkey off something which is prescribed by a qualified physician.
Yeah, what they said.

Four words: Talk to his physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarajane View Post
The way I see it about pain clinics is that they don't WANT you to get off meds like Methadone for monetary reasons. No addiction, no money. Am I wrong to think this way ? I hope I am wrong because I would like to approach the subject with them. However if my DH could not do without the Narcotics for pain would they take him back ?
Not sure how true this is, given the fact that scores of pain patients are being refused narcotic treatment after failing drug screens. That said, the push for the drug screens is coming from the DEA, not the physicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness