Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:00 PM

23 posts, read 22,749 times

Advertisements

My husband is sick to death taking these very addictive drugs. I almost have to force him now to take them. What is going cold turkey like and can he do it on his own and how can he do it ???? I really need input now because if he does go into withdrawal I want to help him. He will not go to the hospital because they treat you like a dirty meth shooter. Not like a person in withdrawal from a prescription he got from a reputable pain clinic. He has been going now for 5 years and he doesn't want them anymore. He has III stage kidney disease and blockages in his heart that they can't do a heart cath because of his failing kidneys. So, pick your poison.....Thank you Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
It will be hell. I am not sure if his BP would be affected. He needs a guided detox, maybe in a hospital.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
If he detoxes at home, expect any or all of the following for 5 to 7 days straight:

Fever, chills, goosebumps, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, trouble sleeping, unstable mood, sweating, itchy skin, unstable blood pressure, muscle aches, tremors, trouble ambulating, nightmares, hallucinations, etc.

It's no picnic. He will beg you for a high. Be strong. Keep him hydrated w fluids, antidiahrrea pills and soup. Baths also help.

Honestly, for the usual patient, there is no reason to go to a hospital as an opiate detox is not life threatening. All they do differently than above is put on a tapered down dose of another opiate and/or benzo. An opiate detox is not life threatening unless there are other major medical issues. (Unlike alcohol and/or benzos detox which can be life threatening.)

However, your husband's case sounds like it may be medically complicated. He might even be able to detox on a medical floor of a general hospital and not need to go to a "scummy detox."

If he starts to withdraw at home, I would take him to an ER early in the process for further guidance and a possible medical admit.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 AM

Thank you.....you forgot to mention what an ******* they can be too .....pick ,pick, pick,,,I will watch for all of that right now he is just nasty which is not him at all......

Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I was just reading about methadone for pain, and found some information that may be helpful to you.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Your husband may decide that the pain is too severe to completely stop all narcotics. I believe cold turkey is probably a really bad idea for someone with his health issues. His body will strenuously object, and his pain levels will go through the roof.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Your husband should do this under the care and direction of his doctor not on his own. I feel this way with all meds.
I have a pain condition and went to a pain clinic where some were trying to get off meds like you are describing. Many did go through a lot mentally and physically. Some did need to be in the hospital. Also under the care of the pain doctor they can work with your husband on other treatments to help him pain wise.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM

The way I see it about pain clinics is that they don't WANT you to get off meds like Methadone for monetary reasons. No addiction, no money. Am I wrong to think this way ? I hope I am wrong because I would like to approach the subject with them. However if my DH could not do without the Narcotics for pain would they take him back ?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,098 times
I have seen a number of threads over time from you with concerns for your husband. I'm just curious to know how he feels about the meds and getting off of them? I hope that he is able to find some relief for his pain without all of the nasty side effects. I think it's important to discuss the coming off of the methadone with a doctor prior to doing it since he has serious medical issues. Complications may arise that wouldn't with someone who only had to worry about the withdrawals. Good luck to you both.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarajane View Post
The way I see it about pain clinics is that they don't WANT you to get off meds like Methadone for monetary reasons. No addiction, no money. Am I wrong to think this way ? I hope I am wrong because I would like to approach the subject with them. However if my DH could not do without the Narcotics for pain would they take him back ?

I actually disagree. I have been to many pain clinics at places like Cleveland Clinic and UCLA. For chronic pain conditions for myself and many I know they don't want the use of addictive meds. Now everyone has a different condition and needs different treatment. I am not sure about Methadone though because I have heard of it being a treatment for some and pain.
Has your husband explored other types of treatments or meds that are used in treatment of pain but are not addictive and have less side effects?
Really your husband should sit down with his pain doctor and personally if I am unsure of the treatment suggested I go for another opinion. He should talk about his concerns with the doctor and come up with a treatment plan. Like I said if he wants to go off methadone or any med he is on it should be done with the direction of the doctor.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
The notion that people who take methadone get high is ridiculous. At least not in my experience. They take it to deal with the pain..not to get high.

I took methadone for over twenty years. Never got addicted and never took more than the prescribed amount. In fact I could go days without having to take it at all. But I did need to know it was available to me. So in that sense it was psychologically addictive. My mother took it for over 10 years with the same results.

She was in assisted living and of course all meds are dispensed. One day a "nurse" whispered in her ear as she handed mother the pill-"What's it like to get high 4 times a day like you do". Mother had absolutely no idea what she was talking about and was very insulted. We complained to the management and this "nurse" was reamed out.

Just yesterday I was talking to a nurse in my eye clinic about methadone. Her husband had been on it for years as well and she said it was the only thing keeping him half way able to deal with life.
So people...not everybody taking methadone is on withdrawal from heroin.

And I'd like to add it is absolutely one of the cheapest drugs around. At least last time I took it it was. Like $4 for a month's supply.

After I changed doctors with a residence change my new doctor suggested she would like to take me off methadone. "Fine" I said.."I don't care what I have..just as long as I know there is something I can take when the pain gets really bad." She put me on hydrocodone. The last time I took it was 4 days ago and at that time I needed 2 within 8 hours. I can go as long as 2 or 3 weeks without the need for it and then WHAM--I need some 2 or 3 times in 24 hours.

I once had the most wonderful doctor. I came to him on methadone and he agreed to continue as long as i didn't up the dosage. I explained to him I would always get the rx filled even if I didn't need it just to know it was available. He reluctantly agreed and I was the only patient he wrote the rx for.

Then he had to have knee replacement and he was in agony. After his surgery he told me he now understood what I meant when I said I was only psychologically addicted. He too kept pain meds in his pocket and he would panic if he thought he lost them or couldn't get more even though he took only half the recommended dosage. He said sometimes he would pat his pocket just as reassurance and it seemed to help with his pain. He finally understood the nature of chronic pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness