Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:27 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It doesn't. Many doctors use conscious sedation for this procedure.
My first colonoscopy was done that way, in April 1999 and I had no problem with it. Thereafter, I had procedures in 2001, 2008, 2010 and 2013. Each time the doctors insisted on anesthesia and the last time I felt like garbage for two days. I'd like to find a doctor who will use conscious sedation.

Frankly, the whole thing sounds like a pain in the arse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:02 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I get the sense that you would prefer to die rather than be embarrassed by farting? If that's the case, I offer my sympathies to you.

Let me tell you that the part you don't remember is the time you're not conscious. Once you awaken, you know where you are and what you're doing. And most facilities will allow time for you to become fully awake and alert before they let you dress and leave. The endoscopy center where I usually go offers a beverage - coffee, tea, juice - and a light snack like graham crackers or cookies. During this time, if there's flatulence, you can get rid of it.

I have sons and dtrs-in-law who will make themselves available to drive me and take me to a restaurant for something to eat when the procedure is over. I've never had the problem you describe. If I had a friend who needed a ride for the scope, I'd volunteer in a minute.

Once diagnosed with colon cancer, there's isn't much that can embarrass you.
In fact, the nurses in the facility highly encourage getting rid of that gas. And if it's a place that does a high volume of colonoscopies, you wouldn't be the only one there farting away. Especially on a busy day, there's a lot of "tooting" going on there, as a matter of fact.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
In fact, the nurses in the facility highly encourage getting rid of that gas. And if it's a place that does a high volume of colonoscopies, you wouldn't be the only one there farting away. Especially on a busy day, there's a lot of "tooting" going on there, as a matter of fact.
I'm sure it sounds like grade school band practice...

As for the question of how to get home if you want to be anonymous? That's what a Taxi is for, they've seen and heard it all I can assure you.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:22 PM

247 posts, read 254,116 times
shiddddd I ask to be put under for a paper cut I wish a Dr would try to get back there with me conscious,he better be ready to fight

Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's what goes on right after the procedures. I passed some mighty thunders and didn't care.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm sure it sounds like grade school band practice...

As for the question of how to get home if you want to be anonymous? That's what a Taxi is for, they've seen and heard it all I can assure you.
LOL, I'm sure some folks are just "fartshy", they can't do it in front of anybody.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 PM

438 posts, read 653,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldefined View Post
Recently, I had a colonoscopy. Like in many facilities in the US, I was put to sleep with anesthesia (propofol, I believe). As a result, I don't remember anything during the procedure.

For future reference, I am wondering if there are any facilities that give a colonoscopy without anesthesia. I just don't feel comfortable being put to sleep with anesthesia for a minor procedure like this. Also, I'm not sure why a colonoscopy has to be treated like a surgery. In the country I am from, a colonoscopy is generally done without anesthesia (unless you ask). They just use local sedative, and the doctor explains what he/she is seeing to the patient as the procedure progresses. The patient goes home by him/herself after that. Most people I know say that the pain was minimal at most. Next time I have a colonoscopy, I want to find a doctor who performs a colonoscopy without anesthesia. I want to remain conscious and see what is going on. Would this be possible? I live in Michigan. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Propofol for a colonoscopy is overkill. All that is needed are small amounts of versed and a little valium. I do not think that you would want to be fully awake and alert to what's going on during a colonoscopy. Depending on how far up the doc needs to probe, you're going to feel it and its going to be very uncomfortable having that probe up your butt amd moving through your intestines. The natural response is to tense up, and the doc will not be able to move the probe freely if you keep clenching it with your anal muscles, nor will they get good imaging if you're moving around because of the discomfort. You should not have any pain after a colonoscopy. You don't even remember anything about it afterwards. But moderate sedation is used, not anesthesia. Colonoscopy is a quick procedure, so is the recovery from the sedation.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welldefined View Post
Recently, I had a colonoscopy. Like in many facilities in the US, I was put to sleep with anesthesia (propofol, I believe). As a result, I don't remember anything during the procedure.

For future reference, I am wondering if there are any facilities that give a colonoscopy without anesthesia

I got mine a 8 years ago at UPMC here in Pittsburgh, they gave me Versed, a benzie and I wasn't completely out.

A colleague I know had the propofol at UPMC, but that was only after the Versed didn't work and made her very anxious. But the benzies should work well enough for most people.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,365 times
Actually, this is what I got:

propofol 200 mg, lidocaine 50 mg, fentanyl 100 mg and versed 2 mg

Seems like a lot for a colonoscopy.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Propofol for a colonoscopy is overkill. All that is needed are small amounts of versed and a little valium. I do not think that you would want to be fully awake and alert to what's going on during a colonoscopy. Depending on how far up the doc needs to probe, you're going to feel it and its going to be very uncomfortable having that probe up your butt amd moving through your intestines. The natural response is to tense up, and the doc will not be able to move the probe freely if you keep clenching it with your anal muscles, nor will they get good imaging if you're moving around because of the discomfort. You should not have any pain after a colonoscopy. You don't even remember anything about it afterwards. But moderate sedation is used, not anesthesia. Colonoscopy is a quick procedure, so is the recovery from the sedation.
Valium takes a few hours to wear off. Propophol takes minutes to wear off. Plus you don't need anything else, if you get the propophol - you're unconscious, and don't remember anything when you wake up, and there's no nausea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness