Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:27 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Husband had a urinary tract infection in August. Went to doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. It went away. 3 weeks later he had his 3rd diverticulitis flare up and was on Flagyl and Levaquin. Both got better. Now the UTI is back again. We have an appointment with a urologist this Tuesday but I was wondering could it be more serious? I was thinking kidney stones, bladder infection. We have never been to this type of doctor before so I was wondering if anyone who has been could tell me what to expect. Thanks. He's 43 BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Well, I've had bouts with recurrent UTI's twice in the past 20 years, but I'm a female and UTI's are much more common. Males can, and do, get UTI's and I think the condition can be more difficult due to the differences in anatomy, length of urethra etc.

Regardless, one of the most common causes for recurrent infections of all kinds is that you go on antibiotics for it, and those meds kill the natural flora and fauna you have in certain areas of your body, thus making you susceptible for new infection.

In both cases where I had recurrent UTI's, after about the 3rd one in the span of a few weeks, I was referred to a Urologist, and they performed a cystoscopy, which is a procedure where a small, flexible camera is inserted through the urethra into the bladder to view it. They would be able to see any mass, stones present, adhesions etc. This procedure is not as bad as it sounds.....for a woman. However, in a man, I would assume it is much more uncomfortable due to the length of the urethra. To check for stones, I would imagine they would do imaging like Ultrasound or CT.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM

137 posts, read 142,630 times
He should have taken D-Mannose (from cranberries), these probiotics, and Uva ursi briefly. In fact, he should still try all these now.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
He should drink lots of water, water, water.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Urologist will clear this up.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Be very careful with UTI's. Although my view is some people, seem to get a much more severe case of these things. I have had 2 in the last 7 years that put me in the Hospital. I have had several others in between that were not nearly as severe. The worst 2 were severe cases, that spread very fast into the blood stream developing into Sepses. The one I had last year nearly killed me. I barely made it into the ER. I can tell you from the onset that morning when I woke up, to the violent shaking, chills and 104 fever was not much more than 1 hour. I was immediately put on IV antibiotics and admitted to the hospital. I spent 1 week on antibiotics for this. I have to say though with men, a UTI many times will also be listed as a Prostrate Infection. So keep that in mind. There may be an underlying prostrate problem going on also. I don't know what he will experience at the Urologist, when I have had to go they always do tests on the Prostrate. He may experience that also, its hard to say.

In my case these UTI'S spread very quickly then develop into Sepses. That will not be the case with every person. He may never experience that, and hopefully he will not Perhaps it is hereditary with me I don't know, but both my mother and father had the same problem. I took my Mom to the ER with what seemed to be a UTI, she was diagnosed with such, but she passed away due to Sepses a few days later. My dad had one after the other in his last years, but he never got so bad as to develop Sepses. He died of Pancreatic Cancer. So I take the condition very very seriously. UTI's are nothing to take lightly.

Best of Luck to your husband, and keep us posted.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 09-10-2015 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: H

Old 09-11-2015, 04:44 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Thanks guys. He does drink tons of water. I saved one of those empty cranberry juice bottles and he drinks 2 a day with water in it at work plus at 3 more glasses when he gets home. I have Azo which is an OTC for UTI's but he hasn't taken them yet. He wants to see what the doctor has to say. I'll let you guys know the results after we see the doctor next week.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
The urologist will likely want to look into his bladder, especially if there's any blood in the urine. Your husband probably won't be very happy about that.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:28 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Husband had a urinary tract infection in August. Went to doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. It went away. 3 weeks later he had his 3rd diverticulitis flare up and was on Flagyl and Levaquin. Both got better. Now the UTI is back again. We have an appointment with a urologist this Tuesday but I was wondering could it be more serious? I was thinking kidney stones, bladder infection. We have never been to this type of doctor before so I was wondering if anyone who has been could tell me what to expect. Thanks. He's 43 BTW.
Worse than that, his testicles and sperm piping can get infected, it's connected with urinary piping, testicle/s might swell to the size most men dream about and more, it will take very long, painful time to heal mushroomed tissues. They speculate that traumatic tissue damage might lead to cancer. If it is true, imagine those chances when testicle/s triple in size.

Last edited by RememberMee; 09-11-2015 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Well, I've had bouts with recurrent UTI's twice in the past 20 years, but I'm a female and UTI's are much more common. Males can, and do, get UTI's and I think the condition can be more difficult due to the differences in anatomy, length of urethra etc.

Regardless, one of the most common causes for recurrent infections of all kinds is that you go on antibiotics for it, and those meds kill the natural flora and fauna you have in certain areas of your body, thus making you susceptible for new infection.

In both cases where I had recurrent UTI's, after about the 3rd one in the span of a few weeks, I was referred to a Urologist, and they performed a cystoscopy, which is a procedure where a small, flexible camera is inserted through the urethra into the bladder to view it. They would be able to see any mass, stones present, adhesions etc. This procedure is not as bad as it sounds.....for a woman. However, in a man, I would assume it is much more uncomfortable due to the length of the urethra. To check for stones, I would imagine they would do imaging like Ultrasound or CT.
A single UTI in a man suggests a strong possibility of an underlying abnormality of the urinary tract and is an indication for referral to a urologist. Male anatomy, especially the length of the urethra, provides more protection from bacteria trying to invade from the outside.

However, using antibiotics does not increase susceptibility to urinary infections. Not using them properly can result in failure to eliminate all the infecting organisms and a relapse of symptoms, however. It can result in bacteria developing resistance to antibiotics, too.

As stan4 said, the urologist should be able to find the underlying problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Worse than that, his testicles and sperm piping can get infected, it's connected with urinary piping, testicle/s might swell to the size most men dream about and more, it will take very long, painful time to heal mushroomed tissues. They speculate that traumatic tissue damage might lead to cancer. If it is true, imagine those chances when testicle/s triple in size.
Although infection in the "piping" can be the underlying cause of male urinary infections, testicular infections are not a risk factor for testicular cancer. The only infectious connection is that men with HIV may be at increased risk.

What are the risk factors for testicular cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness