Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times

Advertisements

It also depends where you have HSV1. If you oral HSV1, that's "normal". If you have genital HSV1, that's a problem.

ETA:
Even if you aren't showing symptoms (a breakout or coldsore), you can still pass it on to others. Personally, you should disclose it before you kiss someone, perform oral sex on someone, share a drink with, or tries to eat after you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I get a physical every year and I have never been diagnosed as having Herpes Type 1. Neither has my wife, nor any of our kids.
That's our experience also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
It also depends where you have HSV1. If you oral HSV1, that's "normal". If you have genital HSV1, that's a problem.

ETA:
Even if you aren't showing symptoms (a breakout or coldsore), you can still pass it on to others. Personally, you should disclose it before you kiss someone, perform oral sex on someone, share a drink with, or tries to eat after you.
Sadly, those that have it and have not disclosed it to others and, thereby, infected others is the reason that it is growing the way it has.

I would consider it a big deal:

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altme...-simplex-virus

Personal responsibility can go a long way in protecting your health. It isn't like this stuff isn't in the news all the time.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,491,591 times
The CDC doesn't even recommend getting tested for it. And, the testing may or may not be included in a full STD evaluation. They only test for it when people ask for the works, usually when they are freaked out about HIV or something. I've never been tested for it, never had a cold sore either. Over the years, especially growing up, I remember relatives and friends having cold sores though. My spouse and children don't have them either, but I can't imagine that we weren't exposed.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
I wouldnt want to marry you if that gives any idea what others think.Ah, the consequences of sin.....

Old 11-22-2015, 10:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Herpes 1 is mouth sores, it's usually Herpes 2 that causes genital sores, correct? I don't think it's such a big deal.
Most people/doctors now say there is no difference because type 1 can cause sores anywhere just like type 2 can.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,944 times
Herpes is not usually part of a normal STD test. A PCR blood test would show the virus.

Herpes testing - American Sexual Health Association

CDC – Genital Herpes Screening

I doubt anyone on this thread will run out and get tested for herpes. Plausible deniability is one of the reasons the virus is so prevalent. If OP has oral outbreaks (normal of HSV-1), they can take Valtrex (Valaciclovir) to reduce the amount of shedding and OB frequency. Of course, we don't know anything about OP's social situation (married, single, age), and what they think is going to happen next.

It's funny how an oral cold sore is an acceptable, but the genital version is cause for ostracization.

Edit: Just peeked at OP's profile (HI NEIGHBOR!). Single male. If he is really concerned about passing the virus along, there are several herpes dating sites and support groups out there. Should be something in a city like New Orleans. It's not a necessary route to take, but it does sidestep 'The Talk' if he feels like having it with a potential partner.

Last edited by Brucifer; 11-22-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I wouldnt want to marry you if that gives any idea what others think.Ah, the consequences of sin.....
Are you kidding. You wouldn't marry someone who may get a cold sore? They could have gotten to from kissing their grandmother goodbye. How sinful is that?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Are you kidding. You wouldn't marry someone who may get a cold sore? They could have gotten to from kissing their grandmother goodbye. How sinful is that?
Really. According to the various medical stuff I've read, something like 90-95% of the population in the US carries it. Those of us who don't are the rarity.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:21 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Ah, the consequencesof sin.....
Sin?

It can be caught by kissing someone who is not visibly symptomatic. It's news to me that kissing is now a sin.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,980 times
I'm sorry, but to me it would be a big deal. I have tested negative and so has my husband. I wouldn't want to knowingly be involved physically with someone that has it. In my opinion, you should try to be careful not to spread the virus to someone who might not have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness