Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

I get them from eating too much fresh pineapple, raw tomatoes, and some peppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
This seems to be one of the most popular theories. I definitely will start taking this. Do I need to go see a physician to get these tablets? Or can it be bought over-the-counter?
Anywhere that sells vitamins and supplements should have them and at CVS or Walgreens you can find supplements buy one get one often.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 5,402 times
I used to get them really bad as a kid and the doctor was perplexed over them (i would get like 9 at a time all over, hurt like hell) My mother started making me take L-Lysene the amino acid which I dont know if it actually was the thing to cure it, but they stopped (could have been placebo effect but that is me being skeptical of vitamins curing anything.) I havent had one in a over a year and I stopped taking the amino acid in my teens. You may want to try it and see if that helps.

I need to share the freak out my mother had when I called it Herpes. I overheard her friend ask if thats what it was and I thought the word was fun to say and had the bonus effect of causing my mom to get flustered trying to shut up a 7 year old telling people he has herpes. Now that i know what Herpes is, even funnier looking back.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
If you take a b complex 100 vitamin (one for stress) you won't get them anymore.

Diet is also an important, sugar, fruit and acidic foods seem to encourage them.

I used to get them bad but a friend told me about the vitamins and they stopped it for me.
Sorry, but I've been taking a massive B Complex vitamin for 15 years and I still get them.

It's Herpes simplex

1) Stress
2) Eating a lot of chips...seems to poke at my mouth and make me susceptible.
3) Peaches

I rinse with salt water 2x per day at minimum when they flare up. Prob should just do that every day as a preventive.

My dentist put something on one to cauterize it last time I was there...some medicine on a swab. It hurt like a b for the rest of the day but did clear it up. Wasn't worth it...the pain from the medicine was 100x the discomfort I would have felt over a couple days if I had just stuck with the salt water.

I'm going to try some non SLS toothpaste.

And I just got some Tom's of Maine Mouthwash. Haven't used that in years but as I recall it did help.

Listerine also seemed to help but my dentist said not to use that...too hard on the teeth. (even thought it is best for gargling out sore throats)

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM

299 posts, read 440,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttholejesus View Post
I used to get them really bad as a kid and the doctor was perplexed over them (i would get like 9 at a time all over, hurt like hell) My mother started making me take L-Lysene the amino acid which I dont know if it actually was the thing to cure it, but they stopped (could have been placebo effect but that is me being skeptical of vitamins curing anything.) I havent had one in a over a year and I stopped taking the amino acid in my teens. You may want to try it and see if that helps.

I need to share the freak out my mother had when I called it Herpes. I overheard her friend ask if thats what it was and I thought the word was fun to say and had the bonus effect of causing my mom to get flustered trying to shut up a 7 year old telling people he has herpes. Now that i know what Herpes is, even funnier looking back.
HAHAAHAH....wow.... :P

Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 PM

106 posts, read 301,028 times
I commented earlier, but I also wanted to add that if you are taking any sort of medication for acid reflux or gerd it could be causing the mouth sores as these meds deplete the body of Magnesium. When I was having issues with a stomach issue I was given Protonix, Prilosec and Dexilant. ALL of them caused me to develop canker sores within 24 hours of ingesting. Luckily my stomach issue (ulcers) cleared up, but every now and again I have to take a Dexilant and if I don't load up on Magnesium before and during the time I'm on it, I get mouth sores. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:11 PM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
I always gt them after eating really acidic foods - pineapple is practically an instant canker sore, but tomato juice will do it every time as well.

HOWEVER, one thing I don't think has been said (but I may have missed it) is for about 4 days I thought I had the worst outbreak of canker sores in my life...and it turned out to be Oral Thrush. For that reason alone I'd say go to the doctor. If the outbreak is covering that much of your mouth, it may not be canker sores at all. If it is Thrush, you'll need prescription anti-fungals to clear it up.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
Definitely a sign of something worse

honestly there's a whole host of things that could cause this from Vitamin Deficiency to something wrong with your kidneys

I've been somewhat prone to them like my Dad but somewhat prone = one every 3 years nowhere near what you describe

I would definitely go and get all bloods etc done just in case there is an underlying issue

Your body is telling you something

Back when I was young I remember getting a couple in a month or something so I went to the dentist and got this supercool ointment

it was so thick almost like a poultice

you put it on at night and in the morning the pain was gone

excellent stuff - someone would know it, a chemist or a gp even, it was really good oral ointment

Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I used to get them constantly when I was younger. Often very large sores in areas that tend to hurt the most like under the tongue. Now it's very infrequent small clusters of sores when I'm stressed or don't get enough sleep. Thankfully it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. My doctor just googled it and told me it was a virus, gave me a script of anti-viral pills and send me away. They don't know for sure what causes them.

A quick (but somewhat painful) way to get rid them is to use silver nitrate sticks to cauterize the sore. Some old-school doctors have been known to do this.

Last edited by s1alker; 01-06-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I have always gotten them, and when they are in a bad location, it can really ruin a week. I started taking Lysine which helps. Last week, I could tell one was starting, so I immediately started taking LOTS of Lysine. It stopped the sore dead in its tracks, after two or three days it was totally gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness