Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times

Advertisements

Wednesday morning I was aware of some fullness in my chest. No pain, no tightness, no constricted feeling, no elephant on the chest, no sweating, no out of breath. But I did have pains running up both sides of the back of my neck. After telling myself it would go away for several hours, I finally told Bob I thought he should take me to the hospital because I was afraid I was having a heart attack. Wisely he said, “If you are having a heart attack I should call for an ambulance”. And he did.

Only then did I become anxious and a bit panicky. I told the EMTs I had just worked myself up over the election and I had “Donald Trumpitis”. They said I wasn’t the only person they had in this ambulance who had gotten worked up over Trump. EKG in the ambulance was just fine but my pacemaker could be masking something. By the way, they said they don’t usually use sirens gong to the hospital because it causes more wrecks and problems. Some people actually stop dead in front of an ambulance. I’ve been in a loud siren-blaring ambulance and it is quite terrifying so I’m glad they didn’t use sirens. By the time I got to the hospital I was feeling fine and quite silly for all the fuss. “False alarm, just take me home please”. Nope---I had to stay there.

Very long story short- I was in the hall in the Emergency Department from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Fullness went away, no symptoms but blood tests showed enzyme was present which suggested heart damage. Got in a room and Thursday morning docs said it definitely was a heart attack and I needed to have catheterization. This showed the main artery to my heart was 98% blocked and I had to have a stent inserted. I was in the hospital all day Wednesday through late Friday.
To be honest the worst part was the catheterization through my groin. It felt like a roto-rooter was inserted and in a way it was. I was “twilight” most of the time but it still hurt, especially afterward. And even though I had my Nexus and Kindle I was bored silly. Hospital beds are torture chambers!

So here I am contemplating the changes necessary in my life and how lucky I am that I listened to my body. On reflection I realized I had told myself a few days or even a week or more before that “Something is wrong”… a vague uneasiness and discomfort but again no pain. But I’m a woman and a mother of kids still at home and I can’t give in to every discomfort or uneasiness. I’m glad I did this time and that Bob was home with me to take charge. Since I can’t drive any more, he has had to take the lion’s share of kids management, shopping, everything. He is my rock.

I’m a bit tired even though I slept from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. this morning. I have some new meds to take and follow up with a handsome and hunky tall Nigerian doctor next week. He was the highlight of my hospitalization! (I was so tempted to ask him if it was his uncle who was trying to get 58 million dollars out of the country and I could have a large share if….) but I held my tongue. I didn’t want to start my relationship with a new doctor with my weird sense of humor. But I bet he’s heard it before.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,609,747 times
Thank goodness you didn't just brush it off - and that it wasn't even worse. That weird feeling is something we should heed more often - especially when it comes to women and heart disease. Glad you're home and on the mend. Take good care of yourself!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,229,349 times
Thanks so much for your post! I sometimes think I have some blockage symptoms, but your story puts a different spin on it. I hope you are feeling much better and would be interested in reading updates on your progress.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:53 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,802,069 times
I never understand how some people can get so worked up due to the political climate.....

Old 03-05-2016, 10:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,948,645 times
Heart Attack symptoms can vary.......Men can differ from a Female according to my VA Health book.

QUOTE: Men can have pain that feels like pressure, tightness, squeezing, crushing, intense burning, or aching in your chest. The pain or pressure lasts longer then 5 mins and does not go away with rest or nitroglycerin. (This last part, who has that at their home?)

Other signs include::

Pain that spreads to your upper back, upper belly, neck, jaw, or arms. (This part, I had a SHARP pain to the chest below my left rib cage and pain in my left shoulder, left arm and back into my left shoulder blade)

Sweating.

Shortness of breath.

Nausea or vomiting.

Feeling dizzy or lightheaded. (Now this part can be a questionable situation as to the definition of feeling dizzy. In my case three times within 10 days had my head and room spinning like a TORNADO)

A fast or uneven heartbeat.

Women:

Heartburn.

Loss of appetite.

Feeling very tired or weak.

Coughing.

A fast or uneven heartbeat.

(Above info from my VA book except the added personal things)

Old 03-05-2016, 10:57 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,811,579 times
so thankful you're ok and hope the new meds really help with not too much adverse reactions!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times
Two of my really good friends who are very into alternative healing, we help each other so much...both have turned up with afib and now into that world. Dr. Sinatra has great cardio support info. Do a lot of your own work on heart health. Don't get yourself upset over politics...they come and go. So much we can't control... Take care.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,949,541 times
I'm so glad you are okay and didn't brush it off. I find it really difficult to know the difference which worries me enough to cause a heart attack.

Best wishes to you and your family!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,552,831 times
I'm glad you're ok, nk. Take care! And thanks for the reminder to not ignore your body.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
Glad to hear that you are fixed up now, thought sorry for what you had to go through.

You win in the common sense department. I had the symptom for three weeks, and then finally called an ambulance...three stents and a very angry surgeon.

A fast recovery to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.