Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have two inguinal hernias. One is very large and the other is medium sized. My doctor prefers to only operate on one at a time, but I'd like to have both repaired at the same time. He tells me the pain would be too much to do both an that it isn't the industry standard to do both at the same time. It is a normal surgery (not laparoscopic) So I'd like to hear from members here that have experienced this surgery. How long was the severe pain afterwords? What were the restrictions and for how long?

My job is quite physical, so having 2 separate surgeries would keep me out of work for two long stints, rather than one, and would impact me quite negatively in that respect. In addition, I would just like to get it all done with, as long as I'm not putting my health in jeopardy.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My daughter had both inguinal hernias repaired at the same time. The only pain med she had after that was tylenol. But she was 3 months old at the time, so she wasn't walking or even sitting up, and I was careful not to move her in ways that would put stress on the incisions.

When I had my first c-section, the incision went from hip bone to hip bone, and trying to sit up from bed pulled really hard on the incision on both sides. I'm guessing that's the kind of pain your doctor is talking about, and it was really intense. The kind of pain that makes you want to sleep in a chair rather than have to spend 30 minutes trying to go from lying down to sitting up.

Have you checked to see what kind of paid sick leave and short-term disability your job offers? It sucks having to miss work even with pay but it would be better to just be able to focus on getting well. If they don't offer benefits like that, then maybe they could modify your work duties or put you on light duty while you recover.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
My dad had surgery on a strangulated hernia quite a few years ago. Not two at the same time, though. Because of the risk of strangulation, I'm surprised that they won't operate on both at the same time, but I don't know your details.

If you get symptoms of a strangulated hernia, go to the ER.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
My husband has had 4 hernia surgeries....the first was umbilical....got infected...what a mess!

The other 3 were "incisional" hernias, due to a triple A surgery...cut him from stem to stern...the skin healed WELL before the muscle mass...and he had about 14 different hernias. They fixed the 1st several on the 1st surgery...mesh and stuff....then did the lower ones...but missed one...so a 3rd surgery had to happen. The doctor didn't charge us for the last one, since he should have fixed it on the 2nd round.....but of course, the hospital and other folks charged......yikes!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 AM

Thank you for the replies. Over the past few days I was able to get the procedure changed to both hernias getting repaired. In 2 hours I go in to get cut open. Just hoping for the best.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Thank you for the replies. Over the past few days I was able to get the procedure changed to both hernias getting repaired. In 2 hours I go in to get cut open. Just hoping for the best.
Don't worry, it will go well and you'll be so relieved that it's over with!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Good luck!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 PM

Well I wound up losing the battle after all. The doctor only did one side, so now I have to go through this again in 2 weeks.

Overall the procedure was not too bad actually, everybody had a great bedside manner and although I have been vomiting from the anesthesia that isn't a big deal From what I hear tomorrow will be a very painful day, and I'm going to try to minimize my painkillers because I really didn't the 'high' feeling very much.

Currently I have had the hiccups for the past hour which pretty bad timing...I probably hadn't had hiccups in 6 months prior to this!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,682 times
had 4 small holes in abdomen from prior aortic bi-femoral bypass, 8 yrs prior. I had surgery Oct 23, 2010 and that's when my life ended..... Most people wouldn't be able to notice things that I did after this surgery in which they put, what they told me 2 sheets of mesh for 4 small 1-cm holes.... I hurt every day after this, 4 days after the surgery the dr sent me home and there I suffered with 103* fever for the next 4 days. I even went to the ER and the ER dr said he seen Dr. there and told him to give me some antibiotics thru IV and send me home because he had a office visit the next day.... well I went to his office visit with fever of 102* and red patch on my abdomen, that you could feel the heat from more than 3'' away. He looked at the drainage tube that was attached to the bubble and seen what I considered "fish scales in pond water" because that is what it looked like. Dr made me go to the admissions office downstairs and admit myself, with the pain and fever I didn't care if I died....got admitted and sent to a room for surgery Nov 5, 2010, 8 days after this dr put Ethicon Mesh in me had to remove it and EVERYTHING THAT IT TOUCHED.... So that took my abdomen muscles on both sides of my chest from from breast bone to where my belly button used to be. I woke up and had a sponge the size of a football stuffed into a hole the same size with a vac unit on me, only thing holding me together was the tape that holds the sponge in.... Well this "open" process took 7 months to heal, and the muscles grew "OUTWARD" it looked like I was 9 months pregnant with my THIN build. I talked to a plastic surgeon that couldn't believe what that other dr did to me, knowing me for the years he has, has never seen me overweight, I was so big that I couldn't tie my own shoes or button or belt my pants. I had my 3rd surgery in April 2011 when I was totally healed, he took and used the ALLO MAX, something they use for breast enhancements, this was 5+yrs ago and I found out that the ALLO MAX SHRINKS.... well it is 5 yrs and I feel as I have a STEEL CORSET on.... I have another hernia and was sent to Cleveland Clinic and they told me they wouldn't do surgery on me, they said wear an elastic belt that was all they could do....I sit here hating how UNFAIR THE LAW IS, HOW THEY FORGET ABOUT THE HERNIA PATIENTS, THEY WILL LET LAWYERS TAKE MONEY THAT WOMEN SHOULD PUT IN THEIR POCKET FOR THEIR PAIN AND AGONY, THE SAME PAIN AND AGONY THAT i AND ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS HERNIA MESH PUT IN FEEL...I haven't been able to do anything, sex, play, enjoy days, since Oct 23, 2010.,.....

Old 12-25-2017, 06:58 PM

Update almost 2 years later:

I had my inguinal hernia repaired on the opposite side repaired 4 days ago. While he was doing that repair, he also repaired the first hernia which I guess needed some shoring up, so I wound up having both sides done. It was laparoscopic this time. It went well, I was surprised when they told be beforehand I was going to have a breathing tube and my breathing would be done by ventilator during the procedure. Everything seems to have gone well. The usual pain, but nothing too bad.

I go back to work tomorrow which is the 5th day since the surgery. Normally my work is quite physical, but I'm going to be on light duty for some time.

If anybody has any war stories, I'd love to hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness