Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:24 PM

28 posts, read 26,984 times

Advertisements

I want to have a vasectomy done as soon as possible. I only manage to have sex sporadically but I don't want to run risks even once.

I had an appointment with an urologist on Friday and he just wouldn't do it. He says I'm far too young.

I mean, I can already bear big responsabilities like driving a car, voting, working but I can't decide what to do with my own body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Doctors typically will not perform sterilization (vasectomy or tubal ligation) on young men or women who have not yet had children.

Your "fear" of impregnating someone doesn't enter into their equation.

Some explanations, it deals with women but the base reasons remain the same for men:

Offspring Off Limits: The Real Reasons Doctors Won

At least you don't want to be castrated like another regular poster does.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I can see both sides of the situation--it's annoying that a doctor doesn't trust someone to know their own mind about what they want for their bodies and their futures, but at the same time there's a possibility that the idea of children that someone is adamant about at 24 is not what they'll be adamant about at 34, and the doctor doesn't want to be liable for an angry patient in the future.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can see both sides of the situation--it's annoying that a doctor doesn't trust someone to know their own mind about what they want for their bodies and their futures, but at the same time there's a possibility that the idea of children that someone is adamant about at 24 is not what they'll be adamant about at 34, and the doctor doesn't want to be liable for an angry patient in the future.
Liable for what? The decision would be mine, I'm the one liable for it.

And I'm absolutely sure I don't want kids. Even the thought of it makes me cringe.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
That's how I see it, too. There are people at 24 that know that they never want to have children and that holds true for the rest of their lives. And then there are people like my friend who was going to harvest her eggs for money at 24 because she knew she never wanted children of her own. 10 years later, she was trying to get pregnant and then had a baby a couple years after that.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:

That's what many 20 somethings don't seem to "get". And I don't know if we were any different 35 years (or more) ago.

Go back 50 or more years and that 24 year old has already been married for a few to several years and likely has children.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
That's how I see it, too. There are people at 24 that know that they never want to have children and that holds true for the rest of their lives. And then there are people like my friend who was going to harvest her eggs for money at 24 because she knew she never wanted children of her own. 10 years later, she was trying to get pregnant and then had a baby a couple years after that.
That's the thing. I believe in individual responsability. If I come to regret it (which I wouldn't), that would be my problem, no one else's.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:43 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Primarily becuase at 24 you have yet to actually experience a lot in life and our experiences are what shapes our perspective.

That said, it's your body and your life. Do with it what you wish

But remember your doctor is balancing a number of factors when considering his involvement. they generally need more reason than "i want it"

I'm sure if you look around you could find someone who doesn't care as long as you sign off and they get paid for their time, but most practitioners will not want to do this without a serious health or lifestyle reasoning attached.

Last edited by rego00123; 04-03-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 01:45 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,533 times
You just need to search around until you find someone who is willing to do it. I had one at 26, but it took me a while to find one who would do it.

Last edited by david0966; 04-03-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
You just need to search around until you find someone who is willing to do it. I had one at 26, but it took me a while to find on who would do it.
I'm already looking for another doctor and expect to have a new appointment in the next few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness