Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times

Advertisements

I have been put on Lyrica to help alleviate my peripheral neuropathy pain. I am on a low dose since I dont do well with gabapentrin. I had one day of dizziness then it went away and I thought that was a good sign. Now a week into it and I am a swollen mess. My rings are cutting into my fingers and my stomach is extended from serious bloat. I am not overweight but yesterday I looked like I was 8 months pregnant.

I did some research and found that this is a side effect. I was wondering if anyone else had the same reaction. As far as alleviating the pain, it hasn't done anything, but that may because the dose is small. I was planning on upping the dose as per my doctors instructions next week. But I do not think I want to continue with this drug is I am going to be this bloated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM

48,520 posts, read 34,843,322 times
The only side effect I had was weight gain. But with some other medications when I had symptoms like yours they passed after awhile. I would give it time. Also, it did take Lyrica some time to suppress my FM pain... I'm thinking like 6 months, and we upped the dose twice during that time.

Good luck!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
I only know one person who tried Lyrica.
He had to stop after one dose because he couldn't breathe.
He didn't know if it was an allergy or what caused it, but he never took it again.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I'm on another group that has a huge number of PN damage people, many have tried the Lyrica drug and talk about their stories...One woman said her husband became like a monster with his anger. Then there was all the talk about the withdrawal syndrome. These people have tried the drugs and MANY take supps for their nerve damage issues.

A friend has taken both gabapentin and lyrica for the 20 yrs of nerve damage and she talked about the dizzy issues and nausea and she is off both...and on that "terrible"
supplement I talk so much about. She's on "it" now for probably 7 yrs or so. She still has issues but so improved. She is 85 and her issues are from statins and years of skin cancer radiation treatments.

Personally I would never let the doctors "put" me on those drugs. I search for alternatives for everything I deal with.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-16-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have been put on Lyrica to help alleviate my peripheral neuropathy pain. I am on a low dose since I dont do well with gabapentrin. I had one day of dizziness then it went away and I thought that was a good sign. Now a week into it and I am a swollen mess. My rings are cutting into my fingers and my stomach is extended from serious bloat. I am not overweight but yesterday I looked like I was 8 months pregnant.

I did some research and found that this is a side effect. I was wondering if anyone else had the same reaction. As far as alleviating the pain, it hasn't done anything, but that may because the dose is small. I was planning on upping the dose as per my doctors instructions next week. But I do not think I want to continue with this drug is I am going to be this bloated.

Direct your questions to the prescribing MD....you might need a med change. That seems such a negative side effect...likely they will switch to possibly gabapentin/Neurontin, an older drug similar to Lyrica. You aren't the only one with significant side effects.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
My wife has been taking the 50mg dose for about three months (3X/day). But she has cancer and has lost weight; although that might change as her treatments help relieve the pain and fight the cancer. It's too early to tell; I am hoping that is one of the medications she can drop with time. However; you have to slowly go off the drug.

When she first went on it we had to get a physical prescription but that has now changed where doctors can all it in. It is an expensive medication compared to gabapentin.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Withdrawal stories from people taking Lyrica.

https://www.neurotalk.org/medication...-syndrome.html

Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Direct your questions to the prescribing MD....you might need a med change. That seems such a negative side effect...likely they will switch to possibly gabapentin/Neurontin, an older drug similar to Lyrica. You aren't the only one with significant side effects.
Of course I am going to talk to my doctor. I tried gabapentin and I cannot handle it at all. I am extremely dizzy and tired to the point of not being able to get out of bed.
I am not taking anymore Lyrica. My stomach was stretched out due to the bloat. It was very uncomfortable.

I take amiltryptoline and that helps a lot, but does not totally eliminate the pain.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I took Lyrica years ago for fibromyalgia. It made me depressed with mood changes. I'd rather live with the pain.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I took Lyrica years ago for fibromyalgia. It made me depressed with mood changes. I'd rather live with the pain.
Sometimes the side effects are worse than the actual problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness