Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

I don't even know what "conceiving within 5 days of trying" means. That's not how you look at conception - you have certain odds for each cycle, but there's no race to the finish line and there is no measure that counts how many days of trying as you only have one chance per each ovulation cycle. I don't mean that having intercourse more frequently doesn't help your odds per that cycle, but it's still a yes or no answer for each cycle. If you conceived on your first cycle of trying, that's definitely beating the odds, even for someone who is young and fertile. But "5 days" has nothing to do with it.

Very confused what it is you are trying to ask here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsallrightmama View Post
Reneeh63's profile proudly indicates she has no children, pets, or plants. I pretty much assumed that when I read her flaming post. I don't know why she would troll the Parenting board.
I don't know anything about that poster, but

Newsflash: One need not "troll " a specific thread to end up there. Apparently, you haven't noticed that "active" threads pop up intermittently on the right side of whatever page the member happens to be on.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
I had my first son when I was 31 and was told that I could never have anymore unless I had a certain operation (tubes). At the fine age of 44, I thought I was going through menopause because I spotted and didn't have my regular menses. Completely forgot about the one night stand I had celebrating changing jobs and didn't know his first name (first time had sex in 12 years).

I was having a physical for a new job I started, and the doctor said that my blood pressure was high. I joked with the doc and said, "The last time my blood pressure was up was when I was pregnant"... It hit me right than and there that I was pregnant. Doing an exact date of sex I figured I was approaching 4 months.

I had a doc who said it wasn't too late to abort. Are you kidding me!!! No way; it was a blessing in disguise, I always wanted another child. Man did I get it from you need to do a test to see if the child will be Downs. I told them I knew it was a boy and it would be perfectly healthy ... he's in the next room; 17 years later and just fine. I didn't have the amniocentesis because it carries a risk of miscarriage. Anyway, what happens happens...I have an angel. I found the father and he's in my son's life as well.

Where I live it's not uncommon for women in their 40's to have kids, I just didn't expect to be one of them. My girlfriend had her last child when she was 46.

For you naysayers about age and kids. I Pity you; as your outlook is so diminished. I've seen my share of inexperienced moms in their 20's; the poor kids. Now people can freeze their eggs as well. It's better to have kids when you're ready. I don't look like a grandma (it's in the genes or has my son just kept me young

Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 AM

46 posts, read 40,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I had my first son when I was 31 and was told that I could never have anymore unless I had a certain operation (tubes). At the fine age of 44, I thought I was going through menopause because I spotted and didn't have my regular menses. Completely forgot about the one night stand I had celebrating changing jobs and didn't know his first name (first time had sex in 12 years).

I was having a physical for a new job I started, and the doctor said that my blood pressure was high. I joked with the doc and said, "The last time my blood pressure was up was when I was pregnant"... It hit me right than and there that I was pregnant. Doing an exact date of sex I figured I was approaching 4 months.

I had a doc who said it wasn't too late to abort. Are you kidding me!!! No way; it was a blessing in disguise, I always wanted another child. Man did I get it from you need to do a test to see if the child will be Downs. I told them I knew it was a boy and it would be perfectly healthy ... he's in the next room; 17 years later and just fine. I didn't have the amniocentesis because it carries a risk of miscarriage. Anyway, what happens happens...I have an angel. I found the father and he's in my son's life as well.

Where I live it's not uncommon for women in their 40's to have kids, I just didn't expect to be one of them. My girlfriend had her last child when she was 46.

For you naysayers about age and kids. I Pity you; as your outlook is so diminished. I've seen my share of inexperienced moms in their 20's; the poor kids. Now people can freeze their eggs as well. It's better to have kids when you're ready. I don't look like a grandma (it's in the genes or has my son just kept me young

What a beautiful and inspiring story! Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsallrightmama View Post
Thank you. My ob-gyn (who normally is spot-on with everything) said my chances at conceiving were "slim-to-none" because my hormones were running on fumes. She was amazed that I conceived within 5 days. I was so scared of miscarriage as the odds were stacked against me...thank the Lord that did not happen. Actually had a very easy pregnancy. Also had silent labor....unusual back pain for three days before my water broke (thought it was just a garden-variety backache at the time), was dilated at 5 cm for 12 hrs and felt my contractions but felt no pain except for two brief light cramps...ended up with csection.
There was still a slim chance. These things aren't an exact science to begin with.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What's the point of posting this...THREE YEARS after it actually happened? Sorry, but did the wave of "congratulations" wear off? The odds don't really matter because it happened for you...are you rubbing it in for all those it didn't work out for or trying to remind yourself of just how lucky you really are? Seeing your son every day is not enough? ....I don't get it

This sounds rather bitter. She is still and always will be delighted to have her son, which she was told was improbable for her to ever have.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Anyone come up with the actual probability equation yet?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2016, 01:21 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
the chances of giving birth to developmentally disabled children is higher the older the mother is. This has been known for a very long time. Why do you think the autism rates have increased the last 20 years in the population. But even that aside who would really want to be a mother in their 50s? So your 20 something yr old kid has to take care of you in your 70s or pay someone to do it - instead of going to college/working on their career? Do you want to be a burden to your children? I wouldn't.
Oh, come on now. My mother is 75 and incredibly active. She's fit. She dances. She goes to the gym, gardens, travels, etc. People are living well into their 80s and I would hope that most parents do not plan on having their children taking care of them at a young 70. And I hope you are living life to your fullest at that age! Anyhow, we all have different stories. What doesn't work for you could work very well for someone else.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Default The odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Anyone come up with the actual probability equation yet?
» What Are Your Chances of Getting Pregnant Naturally After 40? | A Child After 40

The studies were in women who had at least one child.

"A 1985 study found that among women 40 or older who had at least one child, 36% had a baby within 12 months of stopping birth control. That means 1 out of 3 got pregnant with a viable baby within about 3 months."

"A 2013 study found that among white women ages 40-43 who had at least one child, 60% got pregnant within 6 months."

Keep in mind that the odds apply to groups of people, not individuals.

For the OP, the odds were 100%.

Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant At Any Age

For comparison: under age 25, 96% get pregnant within one year of trying; 25 to 34, 86%; 30 to 34, 86%; 35 to 39, 78%.

However, miscarriage rates go up with age.

The article has more info.

Note that there is mention of IVF and implanting five embryos, with a 20% multiple pregnancy rate in older moms. Implanting that many embryos is something that should be done only after a serious conversation with the physician doing the procedure.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
the chances of giving birth to developmentally disabled children is higher the older the mother is. This has been known for a very long time. Why do you think the autism rates have increased the last 20 years in the population. But even that aside who would really want to be a mother in their 50s? So your 20 something yr old kid has to take care of you in your 70s or pay someone to do it - instead of going to college/working on their career? Do you want to be a burden to your children? I wouldn't.

Well, the only other choice for any particular child born to an older mother would be that he would not have been born at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness