Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:48 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times

Advertisements

For years I've drank every night until I buzzed hard. Now I just stopped for 3 days, and while I have to fight a temptation, I have no withdraws. I actually feel amazing. My mouth isn't dry at night, I'm not dehydrated when sleeping, I sleep better, I feel better in the morning, I've lost a few pounds, my blood pressure feels lower in the evenings, and I feel happier during the day! I was never under the impression I would feel so much better. Especially not being an alcoholic. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Often, the biggest 'withdrawal' symptom is 'only' the temptation as days go by.
One doctor put the feeling better part of it like this....
"Why would you not feel better when you stopped whacking yourself with a 2 X 4?"

Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
I enjoyed social drinking and at home it was MOSTLY glass of wine when cooking but not just sitting around drinking wine or other alcohol. I'm off it all and happy about that. I believe my body is happier and so is my wallet.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
For years I've drank every night until I buzzed hard. Now I just stopped for 3 days, and while I have to fight a temptation, I have no withdraws. I actually feel amazing. My mouth isn't dry at night, I'm not dehydrated when sleeping, I sleep better, I feel better in the morning, I've lost a few pounds, my blood pressure feels lower in the evenings, and I feel happier during the day! I was never under the impression I would feel so much better. Especially not being an alcoholic. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
How do you know you are not an alcoholic?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
How do you know you are not an alcoholic?
I took the online surveys and read how it was defined.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:51 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
Quote:
I used to do those things when i was drinking. If it said I was an alcoholic, I'd go back and change some of my answers, so I could justify that I wasn't an alcoholic! Therefore, I could keep drinking! I was in denial.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 AM

50,383 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
I started a similar thread to this a few months ago. Although I’m not an alcoholic, i started to feel that my regular evening 2 cocktail habit was not working for me, for several reasons I listed at the time.

My main benefit has been a sound night’s sleep, instead of waking up and tossing and turning for hours. I’m happy about the weight loss from unnecessary calories too. I coincidentally had gallbladder issues which affected my liver enzymes. I’ve had my gallbladder out, so I think my liver is back to normal, but I still feel good that my liver isn’t getting a daily dose of alcohol.

I will still allow myself an occasional glass of wine if I feel like it, but on the whole, I don’t miss it either.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
I have done this for several years as well. Today is my 7th days without alcohol and I feel damn good actually. My BP was high and has dropped significantly and I've lost about 4lbs.

I will still a few beers or a Scotch or two on date night, but no more weekday boozing for me.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:
Are you sure you aren't in denial? drinking every night until buzzed sounds like alcoholism to me. My mom is the same way but she admits it. She hasn't sought help yet.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:26 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
I'm a recovered alcoholic, I could defeat any of those surveys because they are not composed by real alcoholics, they are written by non alcoholics who don't even know what alcoholism is.

The only experts I've met were in AA, the big book of AA has a simple question, not a questionaire or survey. All it takes is a simple 2 part question that goes right to the heart of the problem.

Its in the first paragraph on page 44.
"If when you honestly want to...."

Page 44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness