Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a hormonal shift. You may be going into peri-menopause early.

My other guess would be since you mention losing a lot of weight recently, you may not be getting all your vitamins. I find when I'm ultra-stressed a good multi-B makes all the difference.

See if your general practitioner can run some blood tests for hormonal balance and vitamin deficiencies. A lot of GPs are reluctant to run the hormonal test, so you may need to seek out a gyn who is an expert in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
If 35-40 is your peak, then what on earth were you doing 18-25? Mind is blown. I don't think anyone would necessarily be unhealthy to notice declining energy by the time they're approaching 40. Peri-menopause symptoms can begin, as they have for me. Muscle mass and tone start declining in the 30s, and any serious dancer or athlete can tell you that. Metabolism slows down, even for athletes.

How many "prime" 35-40 year old athletes are competing in the Olympics this Summer? Phelps is the exception that proves the rule... I don't think anyone needs to feel shamed at 40 because they aren't dancing all night like a teenager anymore.
There is a 40 year old gymnast on one of the European teams, believe it or not.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larali View Post
I'm 36 and a mom of two. I'm in OK shape. Well, I'm a bit chunky but I've lost 30 pounds in the last couple of years and working on losing more. I am in fine health.

Just wondering if this is normal: the last year or two I have noticed a change in myself. First, I went through this weird phase of nostalgia and crying over my kids getting older and wondering if I should have another baby. Then it just became kind of like apathy. I have no energy anymore, no motivation to make friends or do anything else with my life. I also have ZERO patience for anyone's BS. I dislike being around people now, be it my family (excluding husband and kids) or friends. I used to like to go out and have friends. Now I can't be bothered. I am still active with the kids' school but being around people for more than an hour exhausts me. Everyone annoys me. I don't even bother cleaning my house to the extent that I used to, because, why bother?

I was just wondering if this pleasant change in my personality is due to getting older. I was talking to my younger sister the other day and she has all these big dreams of having a big wedding and holding lavish get-togethers with family and friends... I remember being that silly and unrealistic. I kind of miss that about myself.

It may sound a bit like depression but I don't think it is. I have had clinical depression before and it is not the same thing. I just have this kind of F-U attitude about everything nowadays and I don't really like it, but what can you do?

Thoughts?
Subclinical depression? The best fix is probably to "force" yourself to get out of the house on a normal schedule, and maintain your social relationships. It should eventually pass on its own. Hobbies are important too.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:38 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larali View Post
It was actually sarcasm but I understand if it wasn't obvious...

Yeah I do have hypothyroid, was diagnosed a few weeks ago, maybe that
Low thyroid definitely has a huge impact on energy!

What was your TSH value? Are they giving thyroid hormone to take (thyroxine, Synthroid, Levothyroxine, etc.)? Once you're taking thyroid hormone it can take several weeks, even up to 6 weeks to start feeling the effect.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 AM

708 posts, read 823,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant35 View Post
Well i took up martial arts at 26, did multiple competitions over the last 9-10 years, and now, at 35 - i am the fittest, strogest and healthiest I've ever been.

My heart rate hovers around 38bpm, i got my VO2 max to 67, strength is awesome, full of life and full of beans

The ages 35 - 40 should be your PEAK. No reasons to be running out of steam at this age unless you've been living unhealthily for decades.

Same here. I am older than the OP and I am fitter and stronger now than when I was in my 20's. I workout 3x a week doing strength training, I rarely, if ever feel tired and the only weight I put on is lean muscle mass. I feel great and look great. I think it sounds like the OP may be depressed.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I struggled for 10 long years with depression starting in my early 50's and it was thyroid and then found how Vit D deficient I was. These two are MAJOR. I never had issues in my earlier life as I was in the SUN a lot and very active. I prefer desiccated thyroid support vs the synthetics. Synthroid made me more fatigued.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Honestly?

I think you are bored crapless. That's why nothing is exciting .. it's all boring. And you have no energy to listen to people's BS because it's BS and with two kids ... you have no time.

You need to do something ANYTHING that is just for you and you alone. Something that has nothing to do with kids, cleaning, working, husband. Something different. Something fun or interesting or creative or physical. Even if it's just a half hour once a week.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM

121 posts, read 74,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Low thyroid definitely has a huge impact on energy!

What was your TSH value? Are they giving thyroid hormone to take (thyroxine, Synthroid, Levothyroxine, etc.)? Once you're taking thyroid hormone it can take several weeks, even up to 6 weeks to start feeling the effect.
My TSH was .27 so barely low I guess. They did an ultrasound and found some teeny tiny nodules but didn't seem concerned. I'm not on any thyroid meds. I take Vits. D and B when I don't forget. I do have a problem with recurring depression but I am not currently on any antidepressants. Recently I started taking Magnesium in the form of Natural Calm and also OTC Lithium ororate because I have a bipolar type 2 diagnosis which I believe is incorrect but whatever... I think the magnesium is helping some.

Oh I did have my hormones checked last year... everything came out "normal" (whatever that means for a 36 year old)...the baby fever is hitting me hard but I don't tend to make decisions based on feelings, so it's been difficult to suppress the urge to get knocked up.

I dunno, this just seems like some midlife crisis type thing. Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Honestly?

I think you are bored crapless. That's why nothing is exciting .. it's all boring. And you have no energy to listen to people's BS because it's BS and with two kids ... you have no time.

You need to do something ANYTHING that is just for you and you alone. Something that has nothing to do with kids, cleaning, working, husband. Something different. Something fun or interesting or creative or physical. Even if it's just a half hour once a week.
Yes, this has occurred to me as well. I knock around the idea of starting a business. I'm a stay at home mom and I really kind of envy working moms sometimes but don't know how they make it work?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:00 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
If 35-40 is your peak, then what on earth were you doing 18-25? Mind is blown. I don't think anyone would necessarily be unhealthy to notice declining energy by the time they're approaching 40. Peri-menopause symptoms can begin, as they have for me. Muscle mass and tone start declining in the 30s, and any serious dancer or athlete can tell you that. Metabolism slows down, even for athletes.

How many "prime" 35-40 year old athletes are competing in the Olympics this Summer? Phelps is the exception that proves the rule... I don't think anyone needs to feel shamed at 40 because they aren't dancing all night like a teenager anymore.
Average people trying to maintain health are not trying to become world class athletes.

I just turned 30 and the biggest thing that impedes day to day health and function, IMO, is our sedentary office lifestyle.

My last job was at a suburban office building. I had to drive to get there, barely having to waddle out to my car and waddle into the building. There was nowhere to walk from the building. In order to exercise, I basically had to wait in traffic queues after rush hour to get to the gym. This is in central Indiana, so there isn't much in the way of a natural outdoor environment.

Guess what? I rarely exercised. I'd just go home to avoid traffic than get on the interstate needed to go to the gym. I'm moving, so loaded my car up coming back to TN and unloaded it here this morning, then walked another five miles and lifted for about thirty minutes.

I feel far, far better today than I do ass glued to seat all day.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I just turned 40 and yes I feel the same way. I am all healthy, I work out, and my BMI is 19, but there is this funk. I have lived long enough to realize how most things end or how few things change, so nothing excites me. I do the bare minimum to clean my house, because it is just going to get dirty again.

I don't know what the next "thing" is to get excited about. All of my major milestones are done, except death. It is weird.
Wow.....I'm 63 and many of those "how things end" with some around me (even some of my children who had health problems) almost constantly occurring!

The only thing I can say to the OP or anyone else....is if you think you slow down at 40, just wait until about 55.

People who say this is depression many be myopic.

Remember, the Buddha became enlightened when he saw the sick person, the dead person, etc.

I think it's just a matter of adjustments...many of them positive in a sense. The "won't put up with BS" part is something that I think gets more and more clear as you age. When you are younger you may have lots of reasons why you need to put up with stuff...peers, acceptance, responsibilities, jobs, etc.

As you become more independent and some responsibilities wane, you desire time for yourself and your interests and don't want to "play the game" as much. Understandable, IMHO.

So - no doubt we all have to shift gears as the decades go by. For many there comes a point where we have to create ways to "stay relevant" both to ourselves and to the world at large.

Much of this is new in human history. In the past we simply died young or lived under the family roof as seniors. But now the family units have largely broken up and we need to blaze new paths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness