Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Like say for example, Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) one of the worst diagnoses a person could get. I've been watching numerous video on YouTube of people and their families coping with various diseases and Gehrig's is about the worst I've seen. I've had many meetings with myself and have decided that if I ever got a terminal diagnosis like this I would just move to Oregon and use their law. Anyone else feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
It's a difficult question to answer online to strangers. And ultimately I suppose few can be totally certainly when faced with the reality what exactly one would do. But here is what I have been thinking and feeling for the last ten years.

I believe that each of us can serve a purpose regardless of our level of ability and whether we appear to be a good example or a poor one for others. Because of that belief I've developed creative ways to think of myself as useful during some of the least fruitful times of my life. If I can "serve" I can persevere.

I've always had a great amount of curiosity and that has helped me through some of the rough spots in my life. I always want to know what's going to happen next. This includes an interest in what it will be like to go through the death process.

And I don't like to give up on anything. I'm one of those people who, having begun a book, will doggedly read it through to the end just in case there's a message for me there that I might miss if I put it down. Sometimes my reward is as simple as knowing I completed a task that I started. Other times the only gift I get is being sure I don't want to read anything more by that author.

For the last ten years or so I've contemplated the possibility that my final years may be spent alone in bed by myself. While I hope not, I've also worked on making myself the most entertaining and pleasant company possible to avoid being stuck with some negative old person. If I keep my eyes and ears open I can always find the roses among the thorns.

I'm fairly sure the deal-breaker would be insurmountable pain and that would probably alter my choice and interfere with my plans to finish the job of living and dying as naturally as possible. I am exceedingly grateful that the opportunity for choice is being allowed.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Like say for example, Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) one of the worst diagnoses a person could get. I've been watching numerous video on YouTube of people and their families coping with various diseases and Gehrig's is about the worst I've seen. I've had many meetings with myself and have decided that if I ever got a terminal diagnosis like this I would just move to Oregon and use their law. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a difficult question to answer online to strangers. And ultimately I suppose few can be totally certainly when faced with the reality what exactly one would do. But here is what I have been thinking and feeling for the last ten years.

I believe that each of us can serve a purpose regardless of our level of ability and whether we appear to be a good example or a poor one for others. Because of that belief I've developed creative ways to think of myself as useful during some of the least fruitful times of my life. If I can "serve" I can persevere.

I've always had a great amount of curiosity and that has helped me through some of the rough spots in my life. I always want to know what's going to happen next. This includes an interest in what it will be like to go through the death process.

And I don't like to give up on anything. I'm one of those people who, having begun a book, will doggedly read it through to the end just in case there's a message for me there that I might miss if I put it down. Sometimes my reward is as simple as knowing I completed a task that I started. Other times the only gift I get is being sure I don't want to read anything more by that author.

For the last ten years or so I've contemplated the possibility that my final years may be spent alone in bed by myself. While I hope not, I've also worked on making myself the most entertaining and pleasant company possible to avoid being stuck with some negative old person. If I keep my eyes and ears open I can always find the roses among the thorns.

I'm fairly sure the deal-breaker would be insurmountable pain and that would probably alter my choice and interfere with my plans to finish the job of living and dying as naturally as possible. I am exceedingly grateful that the opportunity for choice is being allowed.
Well, I admire you your courage and "doggedness" as you put it. I myself have done just about all the fighting I intend to do in this life however. I'd make plans for the support of my wife although she has her own retirement funds. Basically it would only be completing the paper work to make sure everything passes to her. But pain is not the only consideration here. The other thing involved is the extreme physical and financial burdens placed on our loved ones to be moving us in and out of bed, taking care of our hygiene, etc. not to mention the gradual suffocation that overtakes a person dying of Gehrig's disease---stuff like that. I would not inflict that kind of burden on anyone I loved over a period of years. Of course to exercise the law it has to be within six months of death and many diseases like Alzheimers kill over a longer period. That's when it gets tough to make a decision.

I encourage members to pick a disease and watch "Living with ____" to see real-life cases and get a first-hand education. YouTube to me is the most valuable tool retirees have today.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You would have to take up residency in one of the states that has the Death with Dignity Act and you can't just make use of it just because you were diagnosed with an illness, you would have to be in its terminal stages.

I knew of two people with terminal Cancer who signed up for the use of assisted suicide when I lived in Portland. Both died before they had a chance to take the pills but just knowing the meds were there for them to take if the pain and suffering got too much was a great comfort. It put them in control and not the disease. I would definitely do my best to go back and move in with a friend in order to meet the residency criteria in order to use assisted suicide if I were in that position.

Here's a link with all the information about how it works and where it can be done. I think there are five states now that have the Death With Dignity Act.

https://www.deathwithdignity.org/faqs/

Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I would absolutely want the option and wouldn't want to have to move somewhere to get it. My own state of Massachusetts voted it down four years ago by one point. I think that could change the next time there's a vote. Since neighboring Vermont went with Death with Dignity, I think there is likely some sort of underground railroad type of thing with Vermont, if need be.

I do agree that neurological illness is among the worst, but I'd want the option with any deadly illness that is progressive. My body, my choice.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I believe that each of us can serve a purpose regardless of our level of ability....
I hate to tell you this, but the purpose of all of us, from amoeba to human is to reproduce. If you have done that and your offspring have left the nest, your purpose is done. Anything beyond that is really some teleological view of things which is a whole other discussion. Once you have fulfilled your evolutionary duty, it is party time - do what pleases you, not what serves some purpose, as there is none at that point.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:39 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
^^
Personally, I've been quite happy with skipping the reproducing part. And I don't think the OP meant there IS a purpose to each life, but that each person *can* serve a purpose even if impaired in some major way. I personally believe that one chooses, and if there's something to do or serve, then fine, and if there isn't, it's fine, too.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Absolutely!

Old 08-11-2016, 06:09 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I certainly would - my only fear is that I'd wait too long and lose the ability to decide before things got too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness