Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,226 times

Advertisements

Or would it be better for him to think you'll stick around no matter what for the next couple of years? Or can you reliably expect a company to give you timely promotions and raises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
As a boss myself, raises are based on performance alone, it makes no difference whether I think a person is likely to leave or stay forever. Their pay raises depend on an increase in their value to the organization. We don't have "cost of living" raises, nor raises because we like someone, there are strict policies. When I had a business myself, even the best employee was not indispensable. If someone wanted to leave, I'd wish them well, not offer them more money to stay.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Yes. If you're the top performer in your department and you're likely to leave for better opportunities, you're more likely to get raises and/or promotions.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Define "timely promotions". Companies don't create openings, nor have they ever, just because it's "time" for someone to be promoted.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
We are not going to give you a raise or promote you because you think it is time to be promoted. There has to be a supervisory vacancy for someone to get promoted into. If you do a good job, you may get a higher raise than folks who don't work as hard, but we are not going to come up with money to convince you to stay. If you want to leave, we will wish you good luck and say nice things about you.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:36 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,638 times
Where I work, they didn't used to promote unqualified folks. They'd tell you to leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out. And you couldn't ever return. But at that time, they were the only game in town. Now there's significant and stiff competition from a nearby a brother location.

So the competition who wants the same people, with the same skill set, who treat their people far better; is currently resulting in promotions for unqualified folks just to keep employees around longer than 6 months.

FYI: It's not working. Folks are taking the quick promo/raise and bouncing. Though I have to selfishly admit that I'm considering hitting them up for student loan lump sum payments as a "retention" aid.

Strike while the iron is hot!

Old 04-10-2016, 01:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workwork View Post
Or would it be better for him to think you'll stick around no matter what for the next couple of years? Or can you reliably expect a company to give you timely promotions and raises?
Depends on what you do, whether it's worth more, and whether the boss needs you at that time.

Speaking for myself, I have handled that differently depending on a lot of factors. In some cases people are underpaid and they are worth saving. In other cases... enjoy the new job.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
If employers would take care of their "good people" maybe they wouldn't want to leave in the first place. Seems to me that some employers are penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 PM

732 posts, read 968,975 times
I've worked for myself as an independent contractor for 15 years, so I just go into companies to accomplish things and I am done. But in my experience in past as an employee and watching in many other companies what goes on is that most bosses do not look at performance at all, some might, but many don't. The ones that do are a treasure. Unfortunately many bosses are looking for how you can make them look good, this is a sad fact of life. Many don't care about you accomplishing things, your loyalty, what they care about their own promotion to the next rung on the ladder as it were and how you can fit into that.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If employers would take care of their "good people" maybe they wouldn't want to leave in the first place. Seems to me that some employers are penny wise and pound foolish.
The employee may think of themselves as "good people" but the employer may see it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment