Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If employers would take care of their "good people" maybe they wouldn't want to leave in the first place. Seems to me that some employers are penny wise and pound foolish.
There is always someplace that pays more or provides more opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
The only thing that I have seen to work consistently in getting promotions and raises is to be very close to C suite and VP level folks. Go out socializing with them, get drunk, get to know them, kiss their ass and create an aura of the guy or girl that deserves to have a great job with the company because they are awesome to hang out with.

I have seen this result in people getting jobs created for them when their original position was about to be eliminated, getting raises and getting promotions, while more capable and better performance wise employees were let go.

I have also seen employees who stuck with a company for 10+ years who were severely underpayed compared to folks who kust came on board from another company. Employers know that you are loyal and kot going anywhere if you jave been with them for years and take you for granted denying you raises and promotions while treating the new commers as the next shiny and exciting thing. The folksnjumping ship every 2-3 years get 15-30% increases while the loyal employees could at beat hope for 2-3% CoL increases.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:24 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
If done strategically it can work, but this obviously depends on the company.

At one of my former companies, several people used this strategy well.

One guy put in his 2 week notice, and management convinced him to stay for future advancement. This guy eventually got his promotion to area lead.

Another guy went from area lead to supervisor (and before I left he had been promoted to manager).

And these guys were solid dudes, hard worker and everyone liked them.

But like I said it can depend.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
For whatever reason, I always try to give the impression at work that I could leave any time I want.
I am not trying to get a raise, but I sort of want to keep the upper hand with management.
I don't want to make them think I am desperate for the job.
I make it clear that I am there because I want to be there, not because I NEED to be there.
Lots of people talk at work about "living paycheck to paycheck."
I always make it clear that I am sure to always have a small emergency savings account that I could use if need be to support myself for several months should I find myself without work, and that I decidedly do NOT live "paycheck to paycheck".
I feel like, if not get me a raise, this attitude at work keeps bosses from feeling like they can exploit me.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslawyer2000 View Post
yes. If you're the top performer in your department and you're likely to leave for better opportunities, you're more likely to get raises and/or promotions.
+1

Old 04-11-2016, 01:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It could either help you get promoted or fired/laid off, depending on what type of worker you are and what value you bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment