Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

55 posts, read 49,982 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with this pill?. My doctor suggested it after my bone scan for bone loss. I filled the prescription and then read up about side effects, pain joints, hot flashes, blood clots, etc. After reading all this I decided not to take it. I've been looking at supplements like Vitamin D and K2 and Calcium. Would a combination of these alleviate my bone problem. I also just hired a personal trainer since the dr. said to work with weights. So I will be doing that 2x a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Why wouldn't you ask your doctor that?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this pill?. My doctor suggested it after my bone scan for bone loss. I filled the prescription and then read up about side effects, pain joints, hot flashes, blood clots, etc. After reading all this I decided not to take it. I've been looking at supplements like Vitamin D and K2 and Calcium. Would a combination of these alleviate my bone problem. I also just hired a personal trainer since the dr. said to work with weights. So I will be doing that 2x a week.

What I bank on is magnesium, Vit D3/K2, low dose calcium and Strontium and the recent on I take is BioCitrate Strontium by Solaray. I've been doing this routine for probably 10 yrs and am 78. As we age, bone loss is normal, but we can do our best and I would not take those bone pharma drugs. I've heard nasty reports on the side effects.

I've read plenty of info that mag is even more important than calcium and have been hearing that too much calcium intake is causing problems with calcium deposits and joint stiffness.

BTW: Your conventional doctor will not talk about the ones I mentioned, they write the script drugs. Also, in case you were not aware, many are magnesium deficient.

Good to do the weights too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-18-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM

55 posts, read 49,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why wouldn't you ask your doctor that?
Because my doctor isn't on that pill so how would I ask her if she has any side effects. I wanted to know if anyone who has taken that pill has experienced any side effects from it. You should have read my question correctly.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcruiser01 View Post
Because my doctor isn't on that pill so how would I ask her if she has any side effects. I wanted to know if anyone who has taken that pill has experienced any side effects from it. You should have read my question correctly.
Because your doctor listens to all his other patients on that medication and is familiar (should be) with the data on reported side effects.

My doctor can spout out the statistics on almost every med he gives me.

Not to say you couldn't still ask strangers for their personal experiences too, but that should probably get a lower rank as to reliability.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Osteoporosis is a scam.

It was "discovered" when bones of younger women were compared to bones of older women, there was a small difference in bone density and POOF a disease was born. It wasn't as though there was an epidemic of older women who started cracking and breaking that prompted a rush of research to solve a well-known and obvious problem. There was no problem to begin with.

After reading this:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/D.../ucm088593.pdf

I would never take this drug after reading the side effects and contraindications. And you are supposed to take it every day until your doctor says to stop? How nice for the drug manufacturer. Um, no.

Eat healthy fats, veggies, fruits, and exercise.

Last edited by newtovenice; 08-24-2016 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I had a bone scan that showed some evidence of osteoporosis and my doctor told me to take calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin K2. I'd never heard of the K2 before. The doctor told me there are a lot of reasons for osteoporosis. (This dr is an MD who left his medical practice to become more of a naturopath so that he could do more to help people. My own MD is a friend of his and has a lot of respect for him.)

I know that weight bearing exercise helps too. Nothing really heavy but just walking or light lifting.

And this may be anecdotal evidence, but I used to know a woman who was a health nut but really didn't know anything. She'd do things like not take the entire dosage of antibiotics, thinking she was smart! But the worst thing she did was to eliminate all fats and just drink juices mostly. She made herself skinny as a rail --and to be that thin isn't good for your bones. Guess what. She was really surprised and furious too when she was diagnosed with osteoporosis.

Having some meat on your bones (not being fat though) will help prevent osteoporosis.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Osteoporosis is a scam.

It was "discovered" when bones of younger women were compared to bones of older women, there was a small difference in bone density and POOF a disease was born. It wasn't as though there was an epidemic of older women who started cracking and breaking that prompted a rush of research to solve a well-known and obvious problem. There was no problem to begin with.

After reading this:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/D.../ucm088593.pdf

I would never take this drug after reading the side effects and contraindications. And you are supposed to take it every day until your doctor says to stop? How nice for the drug manufacturer. Um, no.

Eat healthy fats, veggies, fruits, and exercise.
Hogwash.

Older women do break: their spines, their hips, their wrists.

This is an x-ray of a woman with severe osteoporosis. The vertebrae in her spine have collapsed and she can no longer stand up straight.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/26..._X-ray-SPL.jpg

Osteoporosis Guide in Pictures: Brittle Bones, Treatments, and More

Osteoporosis often deadly for older women, new study finds | Times Free Press

Osteoporosis is difficult to treat. Most meds can slow the progression but few actually restore bone density. Each person has to evaluate the risks versus benefits of treatment for herself (or himself).

Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Can we get back on topic? The topic seemed to be a medication called Evista and its side effects. In the future, instead of fighting, can you just report the off topic post that takes a thread to the hinterlands?

Evista for osteoporosis

Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My grandmother had osteoporosis. She had a dowager's hump and she spent a year in the hospital when she broke her hip because her bones wouldn't hold the hip replacement, so the osteoporosis definitely affected her life. She took Evista and experienced jaw necrosis.

My mother still takes Evista even knowing about the side effect that her mother experienced, because she saw how much osteoporosis affected her mother and she was extremely concerned when her bone density scan showed the beginning of bone loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness