Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:07 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times

Advertisements

If the OP is still around, I will echo the "no surgery" thought. I had some back issues and finally found a physical therapist with a PhD that took a very broad approach. Helped a lot. But the poster who stated that surgery cannot be undone is so right. I would make that a last option. Lastly, beware of some of the 'opinions' from a message board. There are those who post here that are basically trolling or tards. So be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11
I was diagnosed with chronic ankle instability several years ago and have sprained my ankle several times. I went through physical therapy, wore a boot after one of the sprains, and wore multiple braces. The pain in my ankle and foot is getting worse as time progresses. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, but based on the MRI he did not find any damage to my tendons! As a result, he says I should go for more physical therapy. But previous physical therapy did not help me. With a previous diagnosis of chronic ankle instability, this doctor had initially brought up the idea of putting rods in to stabilize my ankle. Now he says there is no need for that. I disagree. I don't want to do physical therapy again, because it did not help me in the past. What do you do in such a circumstance?

My insurance won't pay for seeing a different doctor for the same problem.
I am so sorry your going thru this and I hope you can get something good going soon

Old 11-14-2016, 02:59 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
I personally would be inclined to walk a lot, with pain killers if necessary. Then, if the walking helps, good. But if it makes the ankle worse, that might change the doctor's mind into prescribing surgery after all. Doctors nearly always recommend walking as a therapy for almost all leg and foot problems, but it might be a good idea to ask first, just in case.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
The doctor gave you good news IMO. I think you should give the PT another chance and this time stick with it as a lifestyle change. I was diagnosed with shoulder instability. Hurt non stop. What you don't want is surgery. Complete the rehab and if that doesnt help go back to the same doctor. They will never give you surgery without PT first anyway.
Actually, that's not true. An ortho can look at the films, do an exam, and determine if PT is an appropriate course of treatment. For joint instability, PT by itself it is rarely effective at all, and surgery is the only helpful treatment over the long term. I know this because I'm having almost the same problem; long term shoulder instability, and I'm going to go against the grain of all the other posters and recommend you consider surgery. As a matter of fact, I am having the second surgery for a SLAP tear on the left shoulder tomorrow morning. I have metallic pins in both shoulders due to repeated dislocations, and I had anchors inserted in both shoulders in 2008. Both surgeries worked just fine until recently, when the shoulder joints loosened up again.

I don't understand why so many people are dead set against orthopedic surgery. The fact is, if I hadn't had shoulder surgery, my arms would have been rendered completely useless because of my natural hyperflexibility. There are many reasons a person needs orthopedic surgery. Doctors don't suggest it just because they want money; there is usually a genuine medical need for it. Physical therapy can only do so much. Many times you need a foreign anchor in your body to make the bone/joint function properly. Something is broken and your body can't function without additional support. This is especially true for a body part that is constantly weight bearing. Physical therapy following orthopedic surgery is a necessary component of this.

It's a personal decision what you choose to do OP. But if your ankle is too weak due to instability, no amount of physical therapy will fix it. Trust me; I know. Physical therapy can help loosen a tight joint, but it can't help tighten a loose joint. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:08 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Prolotherapy can help tighten those weak ligaments and tendons. I'm going thru it now with a D.O. I "found" here close to home. That and supports and I don't walk a lot as I fear more weakening and my other issues prevent a lot of walking for me. I walked miles most of my earlier life.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Go to a different therapist than before and REALLY follow all their advice, including doing whatever exercises they say in between sessions. You think surgery is a guarantee and "easy" but like everyone is saying, PT will likely be recommended after that too. PT may be painful but it's better to exhaust all non-surgical remedies first. Just DO IT!
I agree...a different therapist can make ALL the difference!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
I have a number of congenital problems with all of the joints in my legs.... and have torn all of the ligaments in both of my ankles more times than I can count, starting at about age 12 or so.....

I am now 56 and haven't worn heels in years.... I wear very good quality athletic shoes with stability features in the heels and haven't turned either ankle in several years..... where before, I could turn an ankle just walking across the room.....

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Perhaps consider a change in your physical therapy provider. It is possible that your regimen was not appropriate for you or your diagnosis and condition. I have seen people improve and thrive with a change. Be certain that your therapist has a Phd and the practice is well recommended and regarded by notable orthopedists. Also be certain that your orthopedist communicates with your therapist and vice versa. Educate yourself by asking questions as to the anatomical and mechanical aspects of your condition and the expected goals and regimen necessary to achieve strength and correction of the same. Understanding what it takes to obtain your objective will help you by making you a willing and active participant that may ultimately lead to a more successful outcome, as well. Continue to ask questions and obtain verbal assessments after each session and remember to ask what you can be doing at home,. The home exercise program is every bit as important as the formal sessions. Good luck. It may be worth a try, especially to avoid surgery.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 11-17-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness