Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had this test done? I injured my ankle so the doctor ordered it. It was very painful to me. The shocks were horrible. He also ordered an EMG. They stuck the needle in and did it once. I couldn't take the pain anymore, so I didn't finish the test. He said from the NCS, he sees slight nerve damage which is causing my pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,815 times
Yes. Painful is an understatement. I can't even imagine the pain that one goes through with death by electrocution.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
I had it done twice. Not a picnic either time, but the one on my hands hurt a lot worse that the one on my legs.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. Not only is there the pain from shocking, it's the anticipation of the next one! I never want to have that done again!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I had it done and didn't like it one bit! I agree with Beckycat, though. It was the anticipation that is the worst part for me.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 81,495 times
looking to have a nerve study done heard of docs in phx that have a facility that is suppose to be well know called arrow or something like that? sound familiar to anyone? thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Is this the one where they put what looks like accupuncture needles in and then turn up the juice???

Yes. Had it done. I had numbness in my arm - which could not be explained, my doctor didn't believe it could actually be nerve damage but ordered the test anyway.

They basically went down the vertebrae to find the problem.

I have a very high tolerance for pain - but by the 4th or 5th time I was sobbing and begging the man to stop. Of course - he didn't. Not to exaggerate - but this test is pretty awful - and yes - its a combination of the actual pain and the anticipation of the next jolt to come.

My sympathies to all.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
I had this test done to help diagnose numbness in my hand.

After about five minutes I confessed to bombing the Twin Towers, shooting President Kennedy, and kidnapping Jimmy Hoffa.

Turned out it was Carpal Tunnel after all.

After I had the operation I tried to take back my confessions, but the doctor wouldn't give me the records.

So I strangled him with my newly repaired hand.

I get a tingling in my thumb when I think about it.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 15,358 times
has anyone out there suffered from post nerve conductivity test pain, complete with muscle spasms - I had the test a week ago and am now on morphine.......can anyone help???

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 14,501 times
I am so glad to see I am not the only one who felt pain both during and after a nerve conduction study. I had one years ago, but just in my feet. 3 years later, my peripheral neuropathy has spread to both legs, all the way up past my buttocks and into the middle of my back. So...a 2nd test was ordered. The feet and legs were not so horrible (not pleasant at all, by any means though) but when I had to have the needles and shocks sent through my back I thought I was going to jump off the table. Once one side was done it was all I could do to hold back tears when I had to roll over to have the other side done. I was told I may have soreness the day after in the muscles that were tested (both legs & back) but my back never stopped hurting and still hurts and it's been 8 hrs since my test. I am not looking forward to tomorrow and unfortunately it is my birthday. My friends have planned a party so I'm hoping this discomfort goes away by then. Yes, it sounds like I'm having my own little pity party right now! I too, have a high tolerance for pain, so am hoping for the best. I guess, if you are going to have this test, it depends on what part of the body is being tested as to the amount of pain you'll encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness