Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I also had issues from Cipro, but nothing as bad as yours. I had severe sinus infections on and off for a year. Cipro was prescribed and during the first or second week after taking it, I was doing my usual morning leg and hip stretches and something popped behind my knee - I tore a tendon. Since then I feel my tendons aren't the same - all vague symptoms, but annoying.
Yes - Cipro is famous for tendon damage, with the Achilles being the most commonly affected, but it can affect tendons anywhere in the body.

My doctor told me that I was at an increased risk for any sort of joint or tendon drama now but so far so good once I got the two largest and most critical tendons in my body repaired. What a pain in the arse THAT was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Cipro can destroy tendons, especially Achilles Tendons, which I believe is what happened to me.

Cipro was widely prescribed in the 80s & 90s for kids' ear infections & is still widely prescribed for UTIs.
And it's "cousins" can have the same devastating effects - any antibiotics from the fluoroquinolone family - Levaquin, Cipro, Floxin, Avelox, etc.

Quote:
Fluoroquinolones are antibiotics that kill or stop the growth of bacteria. While these drugs are effective in treating serious bacterial infections, an FDA safety review found that both oral and injectable fluroquinolones are associated with disabling side effects involving tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system. These side effects can occur hours to weeks after exposure to fluoroquinolones and may potentially be permanent.

Because the risk of these serious side effects generally outweighs the benefits for patients with acute bacterial sinusitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis and uncomplicated urinary tract infections, the FDA has determined that fluoroquinolones should be reserved for use in patients with these conditions who have no alternative treatment options. For some serious bacterial infections, including anthrax, plague and bacterial pneumonia among others, the benefits of fluoroquinolones outweigh the risks and it is appropriate for them to remain available as a therapeutic option.
FDA updates warnings for fluoroquinolone antibiotics

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Yes I have, one time. I had an incredible infection that almost killed me. The doctor kept missing it (swollen body part, red streaks, fever). The doctor said I pulled a muscle, gave me pain killers. I passed out later, had to have emergency surgery to drain the infection, and was hours away from being septic and on my death bed.

Otherwise, I've been pretty lucky with good medical care.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Cipro can destroy tendons, especially Achilles Tendons, which I believe is what happened to me.

Cipro was widely prescribed in the 80s & 90s for kids' ear infections & is still widely prescribed for UTIs.
I remember that, when they were handing out Cipro like candy for about any infection. I also remember cringing (as a microbiologist), when they were handing out Cipro so liberally, even as prophylaxis, and people were demanding it nonstop during the anthrax scare just after 9-11-01. They may not have known of of the devastating side effects the drug can have at that time, or so I would assume since they used it so frequently.

I hope they aren't so cavalier about Cipro these days.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And it's "cousins" can have the same devastating effects - any antibiotics from the fluoroquinolone family - Levaquin, Cipro, Floxin, Avelox, etc.

FDA updates warnings for fluoroquinolone antibiotics
Thanks for the information, Kathryn. I remember your mentioning in earlier posts about your ruptured tendons associated with the use of Cipro, and that was the first time I even realized Cipro had such side effects. What's scary when I think about it is that doctors prescribed Cipro for so many different conditions in the late 80's and 90's, and at the time I don't think they realized the side effects, but I worried about the cavalier use of a powerful antibiotic which tends to make pathogens become resistant to the drug, so it's not an option in serious infections where it could be useful. They used Cipro like candy then, but there is also cross resistance, and from the information you posted, similar reactivity as regards the side effects for the other related drugs as well.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I remember that, when they were handing out Cipro like candy for about any infection. I also remember cringing (as a microbiologist), when they were handing out Cipro so liberally, even as prophylaxis, and people were demanding it nonstop during the anthrax scare just after 9-11-01. They may not have known of of the devastating side effects the drug can have at that time, or so I would assume since they used it so frequently.

I hope they aren't so cavalier about Cipro these days.
I think it would be harder to be, with all the subsequent FDA warnings going out everywhere, and the fact that the pharmacist is now supposed to actually consult personally with anyone picking up a prescription.

Remember, folks - it's not just Cipro - it's ANY antibiotic in the fluoroquinolone family.

I make it a point to show every doctor I see, for any condition, my two matching scars up the backs of both my ankles. I tell them how debilitating an ordeal it was. I make them listen. I think seeing someone in real life standing there can make an impression. It's definitely gotten their attention so far.

I have had ONE doctor come back with, "Well, that's a very rare side effect. All drugs have possible side effects." To which I replied, "Well, of course, but not all drugs have garnered the negative attention and ongoing warnings from the FDA that these antibiotics have. I really encourage you to avoid prescribing these drugs if possible." I don't back down from it.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:59 PM

749 posts, read 855,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think it would be harder to be, with all the subsequent FDA warnings going out everywhere, and the fact that the pharmacist is now supposed to actually consult personally with anyone picking up a prescription.

Remember, folks - it's not just Cipro - it's ANY antibiotic in the fluoroquinolone family.

I make it a point to show every doctor I see, for any condition, my two matching scars up the backs of both my ankles. I tell them how debilitating an ordeal it was. I make them listen. I think seeing someone in real life standing there can make an impression. It's definitely gotten their attention so far.

I have had ONE doctor come back with, "Well, that's a very rare side effect. All drugs have possible side effects." To which I replied, "Well, of course, but not all drugs have garnered the negative attention and ongoing warnings from the FDA that these antibiotics have. I really encourage you to avoid prescribing these drugs if possible." I don't back down from it.
So you were lecturing your doctor about how he/she should prescribe a different form of antibiotic because the risk of sepsis is preferable to a very small chance of tendinopathy?

Old 01-02-2017, 01:27 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Sort of. I had bronchitis - seems to be a simple diagnosis. I had to go to 3 doctors before they got it right. I want home with asthma meds, allergy meds.... nothing was working. Finally! A doctor who wasn't out to make a buck on drugs. Unnecessary delay.
Had that happen too.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Medical malpractice is quite common but I don't have statistics on it. But it stands to reason that healthcare workers do make mistakes.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:08 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
So you were lecturing your doctor about how he/she should prescribe a different form of antibiotic because the risk of sepsis is preferable to a very small chance of tendinopathy?
For many conditions, several different antibiotics are equally effective - if so, it's better to choose the one with fewer known side effects...sepsis would be most unlikely unless no antibiotics at all were given or one that was totally inappropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness