Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM

674 posts, read 608,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
For those of us seniors not having knee or hip replacement yet, have any of you heard good and credible info on how to keep joints healthy?
And is it possible to improve joint health or structure at our age?
Thanks
I was a mechanical engineer for about 20 years and switched careers to become a Physical Therapist. I am also a runner. One thing that is different about humans (which I deal with, now) and the inanimate world (which I dealt with then, as an engineer) is that we are all different. We are snowflakes. Not only is our genetic make-up different (the "nature" part), we also have different lifestyles, habits, diets, etc (the "nurture" part). That is why some people can run for years without hurting their knees, while others need a knee-replacement operation in their 50s. In medicine, you can usually find research studies that bolster both sides of an argument.

Generally, to keep joints in good shape, you need to make sure the muscular girdle around them stays as healthy as it can be, as you age. For the knee, that means the quad muscles (the ones in front of your thigh), the hamstrings (the ones in the back), the abductors (on the outside of your thigh) and the adductors (on the inside of your thigh). Most people neglect the last two groups. You can work those two by walking sideways.

There is no one-size-fits-all exercise program. The best one is the one you stick with. And for folks in their 60s and above, walking is generally a good activity. I know a 70 y-o runner who leaves me in the dust in races where he and I are both participating, and he's got 12 years on me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I would just add that my joints were never the same after cancer therapy drugs. Many women take anti estrogen drugs for years after breast cancer treatment. These drugs were not available to our parents and grandparents. These drugs are notorious for messing up the joints. My knees have never been the same since.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
2nccoast -- thanks for those tips.
For retirement, we bought a hobby farm to keep us active and healthy, as we get bored with gyms and treadmills.
Between the upkeep of the farm, livestock, pastures, pond, and the garden we use a lot of different muscles. But probably not the sideways ones, will try walking sideways later today.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would just add that my joints were never the same after cancer therapy drugs. Many women take anti estrogen drugs for years after breast cancer treatment. These drugs were not available to our parents and grandparents. These drugs are notorious for messing up the joints. My knees have never been the same since.
don't know what type of cancer you had but hubby took hormones after his prostate cancer. it affected his knees but affected his legs themselves more. He walks very slow and has trouble standing up straight. He is just plain weaker. Yes, the oncologist tell us this was a side effect. He didn't mention it prior to treatments nor did the info we received. Of course he would still have had the treatments but it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Here I am 3.5 months home from staph infection and a cleaning out surgery of my knee. This is knee on right side of body which had hip replacement.

I swear it all went downhill at that surgery in 2010.

For those of YOU who did replacements, do you still live with STIFFNESS?

I periodically read the bonesmart group and many talk about continued stiffness in replaced knee.

I do PT at home that I learned in rehabs. Not as vigorous but do it. Keeping knee moving and bent as best I can.

I deal with a lot of stiffness now and my walking is limited, but to go thru that tough surgery and STILL live with stiffness concerns me.

Two friends had knee replacements and talk about stiffness too. Not so much pain but stiffness.

Anyone?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I don't know of one person who lives with any stiffness after their knee replacement. I do know one guy in our church who had to go back for a correction of some kind about 2 months after he had both knees replaced, but he if fine now. Are our knees 100% perfect? Probably not but they are a heck of a lot better than prior to the surgery. the only hard part about the whole procedure was the involved and often painful PT.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Yes, from all I hear from friends and groups, it's a hard rehab and one MUST do it to keep that knee bending. Guess I'm still so worn out from what I've been thru with the infection, I keep putting off the ortho visit AGAIN. Last time I saw the ortho I was in a wheelchair in Jan of this year. No way would he even consider surgery with such a weak body.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 AM

What Are The Risks of DELAYING Knee Replacement Surgery? Found this and reading it and thought I'd park it here....I one delaying this surgery.

https://www.orthogate.org/articles/h...cement-surgery

Would love to Wake Up one morning and NO knee issues. I've had a couple dreams in recent months where I'm running here and there and no walker but then wake up and start to deal with stiffness and creaking pain. ummmmmmm

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-14-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Does anyone think that running or jogging can affect knees in later years?
55 yrs old. Played sports as a kid, ran a lot in my teens, required to run 18-47 while in the military. Since leaving, running every other day - and lifting weights, playing tennis, biking -

Shouldn't I be a candidate? Haven't had a bit of knee pain.

If you're running w/ the correct gait, and exercise the muscles above and below the joint perhaps you can avoid the knife.

I know my heart/BP/cholesterol are better for it (running). And my psyche.

Hopefully I can continue until I'm at least 70.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:22 PM

BucFan..you are fortunate.

My right knee started to "talk to me" when I was 57 and now 79 and it's talking so much, can't shut it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness