Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:54 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
True, they must be careful not to sell anything that would make people drop dead instantly. But nothing prevents them selling stuff that is prescribe to people who will not benefit from it, and probably will be harmed from taking it for decades.

There is plenty of confusion, the result of incessant PR misinformation.
If it does not work, doctors will not prescribe it.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
1991 is when healthcare as we knew it, changed. Now, physicians are pharma salespeople in disguise. Now, our health records are spread all over, as our doctors roll in and out of network, according to our insurance. And now the tide is getting worse because being a woman is practically be pre-existing condition.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:15 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Then the burning question is with all the wisdom and knowledge "they" can't bring us drugs with little or no side effects...maybe they really don't want that.
If you listed every side possible side effect; people would not drink water! Remember that too much water can kill. Herbals would be just as scary as any major drug. Don't forget that anybody can report a side effect of any major drug: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/.../ucm053074.htm. With reports come investigations that add to the cost or availability of the medication.

I am not trying to say the investigations are bad; it is simply part of the cost of manufacturing any pharmaceutical. It is a necessary component of the process.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you listed every side possible side effect; people would not drink water! Remember that too much water can kill. Herbals would be just as scary as any major drug. Don't forget that anybody can report a side effect of any major drug: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/.../ucm053074.htm. With reports come investigations that add to the cost or availability of the medication.

I am not trying to say the investigations are bad; it is simply part of the cost of manufacturing any pharmaceutical. It is a necessary component of the process.
Thanks for posting that link. I had no idea such a reporting form existed.

A few years ago, my daughter had a near fatal blood clot just weeks after starting birth control pills that she got from some clinic. All the doctors agreed that it was from the pills and that it was common, friends told us about many other young women that had the same problems.

But, none of the doctors reported it, the clinic wouldn't return my phone calls when I reported it to them, we had no insurance and I had to pay all hospital/doctor/testing bills, and no attorney was interested in helping us recover costs. We finally gave up and we are just extremely careful on taking any meds, avoiding them when possible.

From the first page of that link:
If you think you or someone in your family has experienced a serious reaction to a medical product, you are encouraged to take the reporting form to your doctor. Your health care provider can provide clinical information based on your medical record that can help FDA evaluate your report.

However, we understand that for a variety of reasons, you may not wish to have the form filled out by your health care provider, or your health care provider may choose not to complete the form. Your health care provider is NOT required to report to the FDA. In these situations, you may complete the Online Reporting Form yourself.

So how, in real life, does the public really know the side effects and dangers if the medical profession doesn't have to report? Sickening.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:43 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
True, they must be careful not to sell anything that would make people drop dead instantly. But nothing prevents them selling stuff that is prescribe to people who will not benefit from it, and probably will be harmed from taking it for decades.

There is plenty of confusion, the result of incessant PR misinformation.
I am not a big fan of the system we have with all the high paid salesmen and women we encounter in our doctor's offices. I also do not like that some physicians act like drug sales people. But many patients, without funds, like free samples.

I also like the fact that I have survived most of my years without additional medication. I currently only take Losartan Potassium and Potassium Citrate. But I have never refused any preventable injectable. I would never take the chance that I did not need a tetanus shot after scrapped by a rusty nail - it would just be foolish. I also have received many of the vaccinations that I helped manufacture. Like the tetanus vaccination; it is also prudent when working in any area with live virus.

During the Vietnam war our solders were given 26 vaccinations before they went overseas. WWI had very little protection from the trench environment and disease killed more than were shot or victims of the war. 50 years of knowledge and research can make a difference.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:

And could be the fluorides and chlorine etc in our TAP waters are harming people more than they know.

I've not had side effects from my herbals but plenty with the lab manufactured drugs. WHY can't they give us drugs with less or no side effects? I might try one IF I didn't worry about the side effects...my memory is long on the ER trip from a anti inflammatory drug from pharma.

Reporting a side effect as you posted the link, but what do they do about it. FDA is as corrupt as a lot of our govt agencies. Many live with side effect damage, look at the statin issues and the damage being done.

And the class of abx drugs...like cipro, levaquin, http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/2013...nolone-warning

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-04-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I am not a big fan of the system we have with all the high paid salesmen and women we encounter in our doctor's offices. I also do not like that some physicians act like drug sales people. But many patients, without funds, like free samples.

I also like the fact that I have survived most of my years without additional medication. I currently only take Losartan Potassium and Potassium Citrate. But I have never refused any preventable injectable. I would never take the chance that I did not need a tetanus shot after scrapped by a rusty nail - it would just be foolish. I also have received many of the vaccinations that I helped manufacture. Like the tetanus vaccination; it is also prudent when working in any area with live virus.

During the Vietnam war our solders were given 26 vaccinations before they went overseas. WWI had very little protection from the trench environment and disease killed more than were shot or victims of the war. 50 years of knowledge and research can make a difference.
The free samples just leads to the patient getting into going on the drugs. I don't think the samples are a 4 month trial of the drug...if that were the case many drugs would not go into people's bodies.

I can remember years ago Synthroid sales people lined up at allopathic doc offices and I could scream back then as I had so much info on the importance of desiccated thyroid which contains more than the T4 of synthroid. But desiccated is too natural but a script too. I did terrible with synthroid that an endo insisted I try and get off Armour...bad move.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
It is almost inevitable that most kinds of drugs will have side effects, especially if taken for a long time.

Antibiotics kill helpful gut bacteria. Immune-suppressing drugs prevent the immune system from functioning normally, which can lead to infections or cancer. Statin drugs interfere with essential life processes. Cancer drugs, usually, show the growth of all cells, not just cancer cells, and cause many unhealthy side effects.

Natural supplements are very different from drugs. I am NOT saying natural supplements work -- I have no idea, I guess some do. But their purpose is to restore health.

Drugs vs supplements are two very different approaches to health. Drugs are needed sometimes, but should be avoided if possible and should not be taken for long periods of time.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:34 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
There is no evidence showing that statin drugs benefit people who do not already have heart disease, but they are prescribed anyway.
Keep spreading your LIES because that is what they are lets not mince words here....you consistently make FALSE claims without a shred of evidence to support them and act as if you know what you are talking about...

Saying there is NO EVIDENCE that statins benefit people who do not already have heart disease is a LIE

You DON'T know what you are talking about that much is increasingly clear

"Conclusion In patients without established cardiovascular disease but with cardiovascular risk factors, statin use was associated with significantly improved survival and large reductions in the risk of major cardiovascular events."
The benefits of statins in people without established cardiovascular disease but with cardiovascular risk factors: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials | The BMJ

"Reductions in all-cause mortality, major vascular events and revascularisations were found with no excess of adverse events among people without evidence of CVD treated with statins."
Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease - Taylor - 2013 - The Cochrane Library - Wiley Online Library

In summary, HOPE-3 evaluated cholesterol lowering with the use of a low dose of rosuvastatin in a diverse population of persons who did not have cardiovascular disease and who were at intermediate risk. There was a significant reduction in the risk of cardiovascular events with the use of rosuvastatin.
MMS: Error

So stop LYING when you have no EVIDENCE to back your claims

Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not a "burning question" at all....not to anyone with a shred of common sense anyway....

"Life"has side effects....

Drinking too much water has side effects....

Eating too much food has side effects.....

Your "supps" have side effects....

Why can't "they" make it rain puppies and end global warming while they are at it, bring us world peace and end starvation around the world at the same time....
I'm talking drugs NOT water, eating, supps and getting up in the morning. Rain puppies???!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness