Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM
RH1 RH1 started this thread

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else here have Reynaud's disease? It's the syndrome where if you get cold (or sometimes stressed), circulation to your fingers or toes (or both) temporarily cuts off, causing them to go white and numb until you can warm them up. Raynaud's disease: Signs and symptoms - MayoClinic.com

The reason I'm asking is because a nurse mentioned it to me several years ago, and I've always just coped with it, but it's really annoying me this year for some reason. I was googling treatments out of curiosity, but I'm not sure I want to get into taking more tablets for something that only really affects me 2 or 3 months in the year.

Since so many people on this board are living in much colder climates than me, I wondered if anyone takes tablets for it and how well they work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 03:43 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Does anyone else here have Reynaud's disease? It's the syndrome where if you get cold (or sometimes stressed), circulation to your fingers or toes (or both) temporarily cuts off, causing them to go white and numb until you can warm them up. Raynaud's disease: Signs and symptoms - MayoClinic.com

The reason I'm asking is because a nurse mentioned it to me several years ago, and I've always just coped with it, but it's really annoying me this year for some reason. I was googling treatments out of curiosity, but I'm not sure I want to get into taking more tablets for something that only really affects me 2 or 3 months in the year.

Since so many people on this board are living in much colder climates than me, I wondered if anyone takes tablets for it and how well they work.

Thanks!
Hello, RH1. I, too, have Raynaud's disease. I have many auto-immune diseases of which Raynaud's is one.

I have not taken medications for Raynauds, but do take many precautions to avoid the onset. I have difficulty going into grocery stores and any place that is typically cooler than 70° or so.

I do wear gloves whenever possible, even in my own home when putting things in and out of the freezer or refrigerator. I many times have to ask a family member to do it for me it I reach the point of severe circulation cut-off.

I am always careful to fully dry my hands when washing them because this triggers the response, as well as, applying hand lotion. I try to keep my lotions in a warm place. This happens as a result of quick evaporation which causes cooling. It doesn't take much to trigger.

Raynaud's that is chronic - happening daily - can be quite dangerous. It often is accompanied by loss of feeling - neuropathy. It is very easy to injure oneself if you have lost the feeling in fingers or toes (or even your nose) as a result of Raynauds.

The flesh of my fingers hardens when the attack is severe, so that they feel like a plastic doll's fingers or those of someone who has died. Knives can be very dangerous in this case because the fingers are not soft any longer to give a little if slicing something with a knife.

Raynaud's lasting for a few hours is also quite dangerous as gangrene can eventually set into the digits or permanent tissue and nerve damage.

The best recommendation I can give to you is to see a Rheumotologist (They specialize in autoimmune diseases, such as arthritus, the most common). The doctor can best advise you on what things you can do to quickly restore circulation to your fingers and what to do to avoid them. As far as I know there is no medication that will help this condition. The best remedy is prevention. I now drive a car with a heated steering wheel, which helps tremendously!!

I hope that this has helped you some. But, seeking the advice of a physician who specializes in this disorder is best.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
I unfortunately get Raynaud's of the breast while nursing. It is terribly painful in the wintertime.

However, I've managed to relieve symptoms without using medications, and I can give you a few ideas.

1. I gave up caffeine completely.
2. I take additional supplements from the healthfood store of vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium.
3. Avoid the cold as much as possible. I use rice socks that I heat in the microwave. I keep away from drafts and situations I know will trigger (and I wear layers at the grocery store!) I love the "Under Armor" type of insulating layer for myself. You are smart to use the gloves whenever you can.
4. I was offered nifedipine as a prescription drug for my issues, but never used that. I did use ibuprofen a few times for the pain.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I do not have it, I dont think....my hands do get cold and numb all the time.

Have you been to a Rheumatologist? They treat Raynauds Phenomenon...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Hello, RH1. I, too, have Raynaud's disease. I have many auto-immune diseases of which Raynaud's is one.

I have not taken medications for Raynauds, but do take many precautions to avoid the onset. I have difficulty going into grocery stores and any place that is typically cooler than 70° or so.

I do wear gloves whenever possible, even in my own home when putting things in and out of the freezer or refrigerator. I many times have to ask a family member to do it for me it I reach the point of severe circulation cut-off.

I am always careful to fully dry my hands when washing them because this triggers the response, as well as, applying hand lotion. I try to keep my lotions in a warm place. This happens as a result of quick evaporation which causes cooling. It doesn't take much to trigger.

Raynaud's that is chronic - happening daily - can be quite dangerous. It often is accompanied by loss of feeling - neuropathy. It is very easy to injure oneself if you have lost the feeling in fingers or toes (or even your nose) as a result of Raynauds.

The flesh of my fingers hardens when the attack is severe, so that they feel like a plastic doll's fingers or those of someone who has died. Knives can be very dangerous in this case because the fingers are not soft any longer to give a little if slicing something with a knife.

Raynaud's lasting for a few hours is also quite dangerous as gangrene can eventually set into the digits or permanent tissue and nerve damage.

The best recommendation I can give to you is to see a Rheumotologist (They specialize in autoimmune diseases, such as arthritus, the most common). The doctor can best advise you on what things you can do to quickly restore circulation to your fingers and what to do to avoid them. As far as I know there is no medication that will help this condition. The best remedy is prevention. I now drive a car with a heated steering wheel, which helps tremendously!!

I hope that this has helped you some. But, seeking the advice of a physician who specializes in this disorder is best.
Thanks Gemkeeper, wow you sound like you have it quite badly - you have my sympathy. It must drive you mad if it comes on that easily. Mine is only really triggered by being outside if I'm not exercising very much (ie just walking) or being in a cold place like, as you say, if I'm in the cold department of a supermarket. Or upstairs in my house at the moment as the heating has broken!

I don't think I've ever had it for more than half an hour or so in the state where my fingers are totally white and numb, as I've usually been able to get warm enough again to get them better. I might need to get some better gloves though. My current gloves are leather and probably not very warm. They protect me from a cold steering wheel for 5 or 10 minutes but then my fingers start to go. Heated steering wheel sounds like heaven! I've never see those before!

Problem is, all properly warm gloves seem to be huge ski things that you can't usefully do anything at all in! I had something Thinsulate ones last year that were great for about a week, then they started to go "bobbly" and stopped working so well.

Point taken about prevention. I probably need to stop using a basket at the supermarket instead of a trolley (cart) if I don't need much stuff - I'm always trying to save time but that's finger-circulation suicide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I unfortunately get Raynaud's of the breast while nursing. It is terribly painful in the wintertime.

However, I've managed to relieve symptoms without using medications, and I can give you a few ideas.

1. I gave up caffeine completely.
2. I take additional supplements from the healthfood store of vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium.
3. Avoid the cold as much as possible. I use rice socks that I heat in the microwave. I keep away from drafts and situations I know will trigger (and I wear layers at the grocery store!) I love the "Under Armor" type of insulating layer for myself. You are smart to use the gloves whenever you can.
4. I was offered nifedipine as a prescription drug for my issues, but never used that. I did use ibuprofen a few times for the pain.

Hope that helps a bit.
Rice socks?? I've never seen those before either! I might have a look out for that. Reynaud's of the breast sounds very uncomfortable. You can't really warm those up by wiggling them can you? Unless you're extraordinarily talented...

Thanks for the tip about the supplements as well. I can't give up caffeine as I already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I do not have it, I dont think....my hands do get cold and numb all the time.

Have you been to a Rheumatologist? They treat Raynauds Phenomenon...
Hi Robyn,

Did you look at the link to the article? I don't know what the official diagnosis is, but I think if you're finding that your fingers go totally white in the cold (to the point where it looks like they've been embalmed and people go "eeeuw...") and you can't feel anything, then it takes a while to get the circulation back again when you warm up, you might well do.

Sometimes I have to put my hands in warm water to get them back with any speed. Then they're bright pink and tingly. Visually entertaining but uncomfortable/ painful and annoying.

Thank you everyone, lots of great tips and advice there!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Should have explained better, a rice sock is heatable in the microwave and can be a Godsend for Raynaud symptoms, something like this:
Buy Bed Buddy Moist Heat, Hot/Cold Pack Online at drugstore.com

You can heat this particular one and the warmth lasts for quite some time.

As far as warm yet non-bulky gloves, maybe you could find some type of sports gloves. I know my son has gloves for winter bicycling that are warm yet thin and grip well.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Should have explained better, a rice sock is heatable in the microwave and can be a Godsend for Raynaud symptoms, something like this:
Buy Bed Buddy Moist Heat, Hot/Cold Pack Online at drugstore.com

You can heat this particular one and the warmth lasts for quite some time.

As far as warm yet non-bulky gloves, maybe you could find some type of sports gloves. I know my son has gloves for winter bicycling that are warm yet thin and grip well.
That looks like a fabulous object to have, I wish I hd it now! It's freezing cold in work today and I've already lost my 3rd and little fingers on my right hand. Going to go and get a hot drink and see if I can make them come back. Grrrr!

Thanks for the recommendation about gloves - interesting idea. I was running this morning and wondering about running gloves. (when I'm running I don't tend to get affected as my circulation is working extra hard anyway, they just get cold to begin with. ) I might look into it.

Cheers!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:58 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
I have never heard of this disease before. My heart goes out to all of you who suffer with this. It sounds awful. I just wanted to send some good thoughts you all...I know it doesnt make it better, but its all I can do.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:06 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Just found this thread. I don't have Raynauds, my wife does. Hers is bad enough that her fingers crack open and get infected easily, because of the reduced blood flow. She has lost part of 2 finger tips when skin died from lack of circulation. Last severe bout caused 11 mos of IV antibiotics to cure. Here are some of the things we found that help.

Someone has mentioned a good Rheumatologist.

Rice or bean bags, that can be warmed in the microwave. She has made them with bags to match the seasons.

Heated seats in your car.

Remote starter in car.

Car door handles that you reach thru and do not require finger tips, to open

Sheepskin mittens, not gloves. If the fingers are kept in the same compartment they stay warmer.

Sheepskin boots. Toes can also be affected.

Wear a hat. Don't worry about how you look.

Clothing that keeps you warm, not necessarily stylish.

A husband to hold your hands and keep them warm

Electric blanket.

Electric jar lid opener.

Big handles on everything in the kitchen

Door knobs that are levers, not round.

Last, but no flees, live in a warm climate. I finally got her to stop working and we are moving.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
I have had this for years starting in my late 20's, and it is slowly getting worse. I am a guy, and it seems much more common in women. It is not severe in my case, but very annoying. You loose feeling in your fingers, and just fumble around. I try not to handle too much frozen foods either. Warm slipper at home solves the feet problem. You should not smoke if you have this problem. I took medication one winter and it helped, but stopped as I don't want be on medication everyday for three months.

When your hands or toes get cold. warm slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness