Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

I went through something a few days ago - I felt like I was having the symptoms of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I felt incredibly weak - abnormally, alarmingly so. It was absolutely a morbid few days since the 26th. That is the day I last threw a dip in my mouth. I had been chewing Kayak regularly, almost exclusively, and I am wondering, that being pretty much the cheapest chew you can get, would that - being the cheapest stuff - be more harsh, have harsher withdrawal symptoms, then, say, Skoal or Copenhagen etc?

I was chewing (smokeless) tobacco - I had done it in college back in 2004 to about 2006 or so and stopped for almost 10 years. I was working for the MN Twins and I found a tin in the dugout and started up again, on and off, for the last couple years. I got sober (from liquor) a little over 5 months ago and didn't have a chew for 2 months, until I started chewing again out of boredom I guess.

Honestly I don't know if what I went through the last few days was a side effect of stopping chewing, but it was absolutely horrific. It doesn't make sense to me though as technically I had only been chewing the last few months.

Anyone have any similar psychological experience(s) with stopping tobacco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Why do people Chew tobacco. A friend's son developed mouth cancer some yrs ago. I think he's OK now but never chewed again.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM

Well...why do people SMOKE cigarettes????

By the grace of God I am grateful every day of my life I never started. Oh, I tried when I was a teenager when all the "cool" kids around me were starting up, but I just couldn't figure out how to inhale and it never stuck.

I am 37 years old now and so grateful even as a recovering drunk I some how never started that nasty, smelly habit.

I quite chewing cold turkey back around 2006, as I said, and I know I can/will do it again. I was just wondering if the effects I was feeling the last few days was because of the cheap brand of chew I was chewing.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Well...why do people SMOKE cigarettes????

By the grace of God I am grateful every day of my life I never started. Oh, I tried when I was a teenager when all the "cool" kids around me were starting up, but I just couldn't figure out how to inhale and it never stuck.

I am 37 years old now and so grateful even as a recovering drunk I some how never started that nasty, smelly habit.

I quite chewing cold turkey back around 2006, as I said, and I know I can/will do it again. I was just wondering if the effects I was feeling the last few days was because of the cheap brand of chew I was chewing.

Weakness, peer pressure, family smoked...not very smart.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure, but...isn't smoking cigarettes more hazardous to health than smokeless/chew tobacco?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
I would not use chewing tobacco anymore. Since you had never had that reaction before, then it very well could be some type of additives used in that particular type that you had a bad reaction to. Also a plus from not using chewing tobacco is not developing mouth cancer. And no chewing tobacco is not healthier then smoking cigarettes. My uncle had to have part of his jaw removed after developing cancer from chewing tobacco.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I'm not sure, but...isn't smoking cigarettes more hazardous to health than smokeless/chew tobacco?

Yes.. Sweden I believe it is, is where Snus come from, and their formulation at least.. There's an astoundingly small incidence of oral cancer there.

There is certainly a link between smokeless/chewing tobacco and oral cancers, but nowhere near as great as smoking to lung cancer.

Honestly, I think the biggest health problem from smokeless tobacco isn't the cancer risk, but the damage done to teeth and gums.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I would not use chewing tobacco anymore. Since you had never had that reaction before, then it very well could be some type of additives used in that particular type that you had a bad reaction to.

Could different - possibly just cheaper - brand tobacco cause actual hazardous health problems?

Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
I would use Snus instead of chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco is definitely a more carcinogenic form than Snus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

Old 07-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Yeah I've tried Snus - it's good stuff, and no need to spit (if you even do spit snuff to begin with).

And I'm half Scandinavian as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness