Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

I know it's bad to brag ~ but I've been putting it off for 10 years. My Mom died of colon cancer when I was forty and I was supposed to get a baseline asap.

I never did. I was terrified of the whole thing; it just sounded awful, etc.

I got a referral last year ~ but never made the appointment,

For some reason, this year I just decided I was going to do it. It wasn't even bad! The prep was time consuming but the stuff you drink wasn't horrible. Yeah, by the time I drank it all, I never want to see it again but it was doable. Just set yourself up close to your bathroom (right off my master bedroom) so I got a couple books, turned on the TV and just did it. Not THAT bad.

Then the procedure itself was . . .really not bad at all. I rejected the Demerol because it makes me itchy so I had Fentanyl and ? Anyhoo, I was not really asleep. I slept here and there but I also watched the screen a good bit and listened to the doctor talk. It was not painful but since I was awake I could feel some occasional pressure, that's it.

20 minutes later, ready to go home. We were at the surgical center for 2 hours tops and that was with an hour early check in.

I'm just writing this for anyone who (like me) might be terrified to have one. I put it off for years (always worrying about it though because of my Mom's history) and I was silly to do that. It isn't bad.

If you need to do it - don't delay like I did and just do it. I scheduled mine for early morning (I figured I'd trick my body into doing something before I was really awake).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Well, good that it's worked nicely for you. I've never had one and I'm 79 soon. I posted somewhere here that a health consultant said after 70 or so, this test and mamms and protstate screenings are not necessary, unless a person wants to of course. I can see for you a history of CC would want you to have it, none in my family I know of.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Everyone needs to have one regardless of family history. At 79 you passed the age when it is important.
Kudos to you Ringo for pulling the trigger. Its an unpleasant experience, but a necessary one.
I did mine right at 50 as recommended. They found 3 polyps so I had to get another at 53. Ugh. I did, and I am fine and now I can wait until 63 to get the next one.
The worst part about it for me is the taste of the prep. it literally makes me gag. I have tried to hide it by adding flavorings like crystal light and similar stuff, but nothing masks that disgusting liquid. Once you are there its easy.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Everyone needs to have one regardless of family history. At 79 you passed the age when it is important.
Kudos to you Ringo for pulling the trigger. Its an unpleasant experience, but a necessary one.
I did mine right at 50 as recommended. They found 3 polyps so I had to get another at 53. Ugh. I did, and I am fine and now I can wait until 63 to get the next one.
The worst part about it for me is the taste of the prep. it literally makes me gag. I have tried to hide it by adding flavorings like crystal light and similar stuff, but nothing masks that disgusting liquid. Once you are there its easy.
I don't know where it's says "Have To"...I never had one and I don't think I missed a thing. I'm sure I'm not alone on my decision. My mother/dad never had one but they didn't even have them back then. Mom used to say, they are not going to open me up" Those tests are pretty invasive as I understand them.

But it's all part of the modern medicine tests.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I need to have one but I've also been putting it off.
My dad had colon cancer (he survived, as it was caught early), and I have a genetic predisposition for it. Not speculation, actually verified through genetic testing. But I'm still not looking forward to the scan.
Glad to hear it was not as bad as you feared.

I would never pooh-pooh or discourage people from getting tests for common, preventable / curable diseases. 99 people will never get it, but they wouldn't know that. And the life of the 100th person is saved.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I need to have one but I've also been putting it off.
My dad had colon cancer (he survived, as it was caught early), and I have a genetic predisposition for it. Not speculation, actually verified through genetic testing. But I'm still not looking forward to the scan.
Glad to hear it was not as bad as you feared.

I would never pooh-pooh or discourage people from getting tests for common, preventable / curable diseases. 99 people will never get it, but they wouldn't know that. And the life of the 100th person is saved.

Pun intended?

LOL

Colonoscopies are not the boogie man they used to be. I've had several (I'm 51) and the prep can taste awful, but that's the worst part. The best part is a reward meal afterwards!!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:42 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know where it's says "Have To"...I never had one and I don't think I missed a thing. I'm sure I'm not alone on my decision. My mother/dad never had one but they didn't even have them back then. Mom used to say, they are not going to open me up" Those tests are pretty invasive as I understand them.

No one is going to hold a gun to your head, but just about every doctor highly recommends that people get a colonoscopy starting at age 50 and then every ten years after. Colon cancer is another one of those cancers that if not detected early will kill you.
I don't know why some people want to roll the dice with their health over such a simple procedure that, while not the most pleasant to get, worth it in the long run.
No one in my family has ever had colon cancer. I have had zero health issues and always take care of myself with diet and exercise. But I had 3 polyps. If I had not gotten the colonoscopy those could have turned cancerous.
If you have insurance there is no reason not to get one. Not a good one anyway.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Nope....not very invasive but not surprising that you "don't understand them" and still feel obligated to comment on them...You don't get "opened up"

To the OP...congrats on following through, they really aren't so bad, prep is the worst part and even that has improved. I was nervous before my first but after a couple they are a breeze...

If folks would like to see American Cancer Society recommendations on the topic rather than a NOT VERY INFORMED OPINION....here is the link

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-...endations.html

Average risk individuals are recommended to have screening between the ages of 50-75, higher risk (family history of colon CA) may be advised to have testing before age 50

Colonoscopy is the gold standard since it is therapeutic as well as diagnostic meaning any suspicious polyps can be removed at the time of testing...

Really one of the best available tests in medicine...

Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
I've had about 5 and the first picked up 5 polyps that were removed during the same procedure. I also had diverticulitis. I fought that for almost 20 years. Finally I opted to have that part of my colon removed. 14 inches. I recommend colonoscopies for anyone after age 40. Catch it early and the survival rate is very high. I'm a prostate cancer survivor too because it was caught early. I am 73 years old.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one in my family has ever had colon cancer. I have had zero health issues and always take care of myself with diet and exercise. But I had 3 polyps. If I had not gotten the colonoscopy those could have turned cancerous.
Same here - no family history of colon cancer at all, but a 3 cm polyp was discovered on my very first screening colonoscopy. That's about the size where polyps can become malignant, so I spend a nervous few days before the pathology results were available wondering if I was going to be told I had a very early colon cancer. I'm definitely glad I had that colonoscopy done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
To the OP...congrats on following through, they really aren't so bad, prep is the worst part and even that has improved. I was nervous before my first but after a couple they are a breeze...
There are many different preps available today, so if you have trouble drinking large quantities of fluid, discuss alternatives with your gastroenterologist. A prep that works for you CAN be found!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness