Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:35 PM

322 posts, read 286,100 times

Advertisements

If you've ever had one please let me know if it hurt or was uncomfortable!?

I keep having a persistent feel of something stuck in my throat and my doctor recommended me to an ENT for this procedure. I'm really scared, never had one done before. If any of you have gotten one done, I'd like to hear your experience.

It could be my anxiety triggering this feeling of a lump in my throat and since I'm 22 my doctor doesn't think I have strictures or anything but she just wants to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Went through this over the summer. Saw an ENT and have gotten 2 scopes. It was not very uncomfortable at all. They spray a numbing agent in your nostrils and stick the camera up there and down your throat and look around for about 30 seconds while instructing you to make different sounds. Seriously, it wasn't bad at all, and like you, I was a little nervous beforehand.

Incidentally, my issue turned out to be reflux, which the ENT said is the most common cause of these globus sensation symptoms (where you feel like something is stuck in your throat). I've been taking prescription Nexium for 3 months now, and it has helped significantly, as confirmed by the 2nd scope, so I'll probably discontinue it pretty soon, as PPI's are not great for long term use.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-18-2017 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,790 times
I had had several and they are not an issue. It's just like Texas ag 93 wrote. I think you may find this video helpful;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_fxSLIyzw

Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Went through this over the summer. Saw an ENT and have gotten 2 scopes. It was not very uncomfortable at all. They spray a numbing agent in your nostrils and stick the camera up there and down your throat and look around for about 30 seconds while instructing you to make different sounds. Seriously, it wasn't bad at all, and like you, I was a little nervous beforehand.

Incidentally, my issue turned out to be reflux, which the ENT said is the most common cause of these globus sensation symptoms (where you feel like something is stuck in your throat). I've been taking prescription Nexium for 3 months now, and it has helped significantly, as confirmed by the 2nd scope, so I'll probably discontinue it pretty soon, as PPI's are not great for long term use.
Great info, thank you! OP, thanks for asking this question! So, Tex, was this a procedure you could drive yourself to, and drive yourself home from? The numbing agent didn't impair your driving ability? I need to get one of those, but I was told I wouldn't be able to drive myself home.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great info, thank you! OP, thanks for asking this question! So, Tex, was this a procedure you could drive yourself to, and drive yourself home from? The numbing agent didn't impair your driving ability? I need to get one of those, but I was told I wouldn't be able to drive myself home.
There are two kinds and if you're having the one they said you can't drive yourself home from, then no, you have to bring a friend. I had the other kind, the one Tex had, and it's nothing, but haven't had your kind. I know they use some anesthesia, but I'm not sure what the difference is or why they use one kind over another.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
My own experience, and diagnosis (LPR = Laryngopharyngeal Reflux), was the same as Tex Ag's. In addition to "stuck food" issue, had hoarse voice, and excess mucus. Went on Prilosec for 2 years.

I went by myself and I was able to drive myself home. It's not like a colonoscopy or endoscopy.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
There are two kinds and if you're having the one they said you can't drive yourself home from, then no, you have to bring a friend. I had the other kind, the one Tex had, and it's nothing, but haven't had your kind. I know they use some anesthesia, but I'm not sure what the difference is or why they use one kind over another.
Yes, the procedure I had was very simple, but as NYC points out above, there are more involved and invasive scopes the ENT's do that require more sedation. Doing scopes is their bread and butter and they do them all day, everyday. It allows them to quickly visualize to eliminate potentially more serious issues like masses, polyps etc. The numbing agent I had for mine is a nasal spray and it works almost instantly, and takes about an hour or so to wear off. I avoided drinking and eating during that time just to be on the safe side, even though the ENT said that wasn't really necessary.

I actually remember someone posting on this forum about having this procedure and remember asking her about it and she said it was not that bad. I can't remember the specifics or who the poster was, however...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
My own experience, and diagnosis (LPR = Laryngopharyngeal Reflux), was the same as Tex Ag's. In addition to "stuck food" issue, had hoarse voice, and excess mucus. Went on Prilosec for 2 years.

I went by myself and I was able to drive myself home. It's not like a colonoscopy or endoscopy.
Oh, you're right. I think the one I'm supposed to get is the endoscopy. I'll be seeing my doctor this week, so I'll ask if the other one would be sufficient to do the job. Sure would be nice to have it be simple and easy, like what Tex described.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Well, if you get the one without sedation, they give you nose spray to numb things, then put the end of the scope in your nostril and tell you to breathe in through your nose, like SNIFF! a few times. Do yourself a favor and don't look at the thing first. Tell them you don't want to see it. If you don't see it, the whole thing is a big nothing. They look around, pull it out, and you go on your merry way and I didn't feel anything after. If you look at it, you'll have flashbacks to the movie Alien, so seriously, if you're nervous, don't look until after.

The other one, they drug you and use a different scope and I think it's so they can look further down. I assume it's not comfortable awake and that's the reason because all they're doing is looking just the same as above. Since you're out, I guess that one doesn't hurt, either.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
sorry I have had the one without meds . My sister in law who is a major hard head drove herself home after a colonoscopy. I just don't believe some people and I urge everyone not to do that . Granted it was only two miles down the road but seriously not something I would even attempt . I think you will be alright .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness