Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Average lifespan has increased, and is much longer in the US today than in earlier times. From this statement, we can conclude that modern medicine has succeeded in making us healthier and allowing us to live longer.

Or can we?

Actually, that statement about increased lifespan can be interpreted in many ways. We live longer now than when and where? Do you we live longer than any previous society?

Does our longer lifespan imply that our extended lives are also healthier?

Is it true that longer lifespans are the reason why chronic degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, have been increasing? Do longer lifespans also explain the increasing rates of cancer?

When we talk about average lifespan, are we excluding infant mortality from the calculation?

There are so many questions and factors to consider. There is no simple answer to the question of why lifespan has increased. Yet people use that statistic to deny environmental toxins and the modern lifestyle are an important factor in increasing diseases.

People also use that statistic as evidence that modern medicine has a major role in keeping us healthy.

I tried to explain in an earlier thread why the statement needs to be analyzed and questioned. Unfortunately, some commenters completely failed to understand what I wrote. Probably because they don't want to understand it. In my opinion, health is not getting better and better thanks to medical advances. Certain things are helped by advancing surgical technology (knee replacements, etc.).

But in general, many Americans are in bad health and it's probably getting worse.

Overall cancer rates declined recently, but that could be explained by decreased smoking.

To summarize -- it is a mistake to draw simple conclusions based on over-simplified and misleading statistics.

Certain commenters picked on every little thing I said, intentionally misunderstanding and distorting. But I think most people will admit that there are many problems with the medical industry, and with the air, water and food we are all exposed to. I think most will admit that we face serious problems, and should not be complacent and assume the medical industry will keep us in good health.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Average lifespan has increased, and is much longer in the US today than in earlier times. From this statement, we can conclude that modern medicine has succeeded in making us healthier and allowing us to live longer.

Or can we?

Actually, that statement about increased lifespan can be interpreted in many ways. We live longer now than when and where? Do you we live longer than any previous society?

Is it true that longer lifespans are the reason why chronic degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, have been increasing? Do longer lifespans also explain the increasing rates of cancer?

When we talk about average lifespan, are we excluding infant mortality from the calculation?

There are so many questions and factors to consider. There is no simple answer to the question of why lifespan has increased. Yet people use that statistic to deny environmental toxins and the modern lifestyle are an important factor in increasing diseases.

People also use that statistic as evidence that modern medicine has a major role in keeping us healthy.

I tried to explain in an earlier thread why the statement needs to be analyzed and questioned. Unfortunately, some commenters completely failed to understand what I wrote. Probably because they don't want to understand it. In my opinion, health is not getting better and better thanks to medical advances. Certain things are helped by advancing surgical technology (knee replacements, etc.).

But in general, many Americans are in bad health and it's probably getting worse.

Overall cancer rates declined recently, but that could be explained by decreased smoking.

To summarize -- it is a mistake to draw simple conclusions based on over-simplified and misleading statistics.

Certain commenters picked on every little thing I said, intentionally misunderstanding and distorting. But I think most people will admit that there are many problems with the medical industry, and with the air, water and food we are all exposed to. I think most will admit that we face serious problems, and should not be complacent and assume the medical industry will keep us in good health.
Okkkaaaaay....so, let's say one measure of health is the percentage of people who are obese. That percentage has gotten much higher in recent decades than what it was in earlier decades - I don't know that we have any kind of good estimates before 1900? Regardless, are you holding the medical industry responsible for obesity? Or the food industry and popularity of processed food?

That's just the first thing I could think of....

Old 11-06-2017, 12:07 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:

Or can we?

Your question is more philosophical/religious than medical really. My Uncle died in his crib at a year old in 1924 right next to his twin brother who lived into his old age. Death Certificate said Crib Death because medicine then did not know. Do they know today what causes SIDS?

My Great-Grandma, born in the 1860's, lived to be 94 without Modern Medicine. She was killed by a Taxi crossing the street on her way to buy groceries. What would you call that?

I have know people who died in their 20's (heart attacks) in the 1970's, in their 30's and 40's in the 80's and 90's from breast cancer, and in more modern times, my SIL last June at 70 from Dementia. Where is Modern Medicine keeping these people alive?

False sense of security in today's society that medicine has some pill or vaccine which will save you from dying. When it is your time to go, it is your time. No human being can change that. Philosophy or Religion whichever you subscribe to.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okkkaaaaay....so, let's say one measure of health is the percentage of people who are obese. That percentage has gotten much higher in recent decades than what it was in earlier decades - I don't know that we have any kind of good estimates before 1900? Regardless, are you holding the medical industry responsible for obesity? Or the food industry and popularity of processed food?

That's just the first thing I could think of....
I think obesity results from the modern lifestyle of driving cars and watching TV, and eating processed food. But individuals should take their own responsibility and improve their lifestyle.

Obesity is definitely one factor that greatly damages contemporary health, and it can't be blamed on the medical industry or the food industry, because individuals have a choice.

However there are many other factors contributing to current health problems.

There is no simple way to figure out whether we are living longer because we are healthier, and if we are healthier what is the reason.

I think we are definitely NOT healthier, and there are factors we have little or no control over, such as toxins in the environment.

And I think lifespan has increased because of factors OTHER THAN recent medical advances.

Proving this one way or another is not simple. Most people just go along with the mainstream news sources, but I have also looked at other sources.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Your question is more philosophical/religious than medical really. My Uncle died in his crib at a year old in 1924 right next to his twin brother who lived into his old age. Death Certificate said Crib Death because medicine then did not know. Do they know today what causes SIDS?

My Great-Grandma, born in the 1860's, lived to be 94 without Modern Medicine. She was killed by a Taxi crossing the street on her way to buy groceries. What would you call that?

I have know people who died in their 20's (heart attacks) in the 1970's, in their 30's and 40's in the 80's and 90's from breast cancer, and in more modern times, my SIL last June at 70 from Dementia. Where is Modern Medicine keeping these people alive?

False sense of security in today's society that medicine has some pill or vaccine which will save you from dying. When it is your time to go, it is your time. No human being can change that. Philosophy or Religion whichever you subscribe to.
Sometimes early deaths can be prevented. There is no reason to just be philosophical and figure you have no control over it. We have some limited control. Antibiotics and surgery can sometimes save lives. Improving your lifestyle can sometimes extend your life and improve its quality. But environmental toxins can cause cancer in anyone.

We have control over some things, and no control over others. But that wasn't the reason for this post. For one thing, I am pointing out what you just said, that there is a false sense of security that pills or surgery will cure or prevent all diseases.

And that false sense of security comes partly from the medical industry and its implication that our lives are longer and healthier because of recent medical advances.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:

I love the fact that you drew simple conclusions based on NO over-simplified or misleading statistics....no statistics whatsoever in fact....just...simple conclusions based on nothing...but....opinion

THEN

You summarize that is a mistake to draw simple conclusions based on over simplified and misleading statistics...

CLASSIC

Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Discussing "average life span" 150 years ago makes it seems like people wore out and dropped dead at 30. The main contributors to lower lifespan were childhood diseases and childbirth (for women). Lots of people made it to 80 or 90, just read the old gravestones in the cemetery.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Discussing "average life span" 150 years ago makes it seems like people wore out and dropped dead at 30. The main contributors to lower lifespan were childhood diseases and childbirth (for women). Lots of people made it to 80 or 90, just read the old gravestones in the cemetery.
Yes, and there are plenty of articles and resources explaining this and showing evidence.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
It's a fascinating topic. I wish "they" would eliminate infant mortality/childbirth deaths from this equation so we could get a handle on the subject.

So many health problems today that our parents/grandparents did not experience; you gotta wonder about those. I don't think we're healthier today. At all.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:

Or can we?

You're overthinking things.

We live longer since we vaccinate our kids. Its almost unheard of for someone to die of Measles, Polio, Tetanus, etc...I have an uncle that passed from Tetanus as a child, another that almost died of the measles.

We live longer since we have antibiotics; Strep Throat is quickly treatable and is unlikely to cause Scarlet Fever or Rheumatic Heart disease.

We live longer since we're better able to treat conditions like Asthma over the long term.

We live longer since we're better able to treat hypertension, since we're able to treat heart disease, since surgery has become more advanced and we can perform better cardiac, vascular, and other surgeries.

We live longer since fewer of us die in car accidents or farm accidents.

We live longer since employers are now worried about making sure workers wear respirators and aren't exposed to chemicals they used to breathe in regularly.

We live longer because we have ambulances that get here in a hurry and can stabilize us for a trip to the hospital.

We live longer since cancer is far more treatable than it was.

We live longer since our water is generally free of bacteria that make us sick, and because we can treat our sewage.

If you live long enough, Cancer or Heart disease is most likely to get you. If more people live into old age, there will be more of them that get Alzheimers.

Should we be concerned about what's in our environment, our food and our water? Yes.

Are there problems with our lifestyle and diet as Americans? Yes, But that doesn't mean that our food is less safe than it was, that the "evil corporations" or "toxins" are what's making us sicker. Americans sit more and eat more poorly than they should.

Are there issues with our healthcare system? Yes, but that doesn't take away from the fact that your prognosis on nearly every condition is better now than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.