Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research on the benefits and potentials risks of HRT for menopause.

Anyone ever used HRT?

What was the experience overall? Good/bad?

Side effects?

Thank you for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
It used to be the menopause prescription of choice for docs - I'm talking decades ago. Nowadays they worry about breast cancer so I don't think it's prescribed so much. Could be wrong, tho.

Anyway, I took HRT for years after and never had menopause symptoms, my skin stayed young looking, no side effects that I know of. Who knows what happens years afterward?

Old 11-26-2017, 08:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
We just went thru this with another member. Here is the thread.

Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)

I did very poorly with Premarin which was prescribed to many back in the early 90's when I tried it.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Due to severe symptoms, I used HRT for 5 years...extraordinary relief at least for me.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We just went thru this with another member. Here is the thread.

Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)

I did very poorly with Premarin which was prescribed to many back in the early 90's when I tried it.
I would prefer to do the bioidentical HRT but unfortunately my insurance won't cover it.

They will pay for the conventional HRT.

Yeah, I haven't heard too many good things about Premarin so that would be one that I will probably steer clear of.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I think I posted this in the other thread, but I started going through menopause naturally at age 38. By the time I was 41 I was completely through it. I have an existing heart condition so my cardiologist advised against any type of HRT except an all natural cream by Dr. John Lee called Progesterall that my mom recommended I use.

https://www.johnleemd.com/progesterone-cream.html

To be honest, I used it during the 3 years I was going through the change to help relieve symptoms and it did, but I don't use it anymore as I don't feel I need to. Don't get me wrong, I still had hot flashes, but only at night and not as severe as I have heard others discuss. I was still bitchy and had brain fog, but I did feel the symptoms were mild. I don't use anything now and I'm fine. Everyone is different so you need to see what works for you.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I was on HRT for many years until I became more involved in animal testing. Then I took Black Cohosh Root until it made my breasts so sore I had to stop it. I didn't have any problems with Premarin or anything else prescribed but I am now 75 and have not had any strokes or heart problems, which is what I understood the concern to be,

Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Premarin is evil. If you use Premarin knowing its impact on the horses it is dervied from I'm pretty sure I'd get blocked if i expressed what I think should happen to that person.
Women who use it certainly don't get to think of themselves as animal lovers or selfless people or nice people in any way.

The HRT horses - Dateline NBC | NBC News

https://www.ofhorse.com/view-post/The-Premarin-Scandal

Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Premarin is evil. If you use Premarin knowing its impact on the horses it is dervied from I'm pretty sure I'd get blocked if i expressed what I think should happen to that person.
Women who use it certainly don't get to think of themselves as animal lovers or selfless people or nice people in any way.

The HRT horses - Dateline NBC | NBC News

https://www.ofhorse.com/view-post/The-Premarin-Scandal

Wow, if I ever knew that I've forgotten it. I'm 20 yrs past menopause but I never took any hormone replacement therapy, just pretty much toughed out the symptoms of menopause when I had them. At the peak of my menopause we had serious issues going on that took over our lives, kept us awake nights and made my menopause small potatoes in comparison so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the symptoms. I think I also went through a sudden "traumatic-related" sudden cessation of my periods at this time and that was that.

One of the reasons I didn't even consider taking anything was that I was also fighting hypertension at the time, and my mother had taken it and developed a blood clot in her leg, so I figured there was a family history of HRT related thrombosis.

If I were looking for relief of menopause symptoms these days, I'd probably look into the OTC estrogen or hormone substitute products I see advertised or on the shelves in drug stores,, at least to start. I have no idea about the effectiveness of these products, but I guess I would find out.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I was on HRT for many years until I became more involved in animal testing. Then I took Black Cohosh Root until it made my breasts so sore I had to stop it. I didn't have any problems with Premarin or anything else prescribed but I am now 75 and have not had any strokes or heart problems, which is what I understood the concern to be,
How opposite some people can be, Premarin made my breasts hard rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness