Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times

Advertisements

the prescription is still good. bring the glasses by the optometrist and see if they can fix it or offer to replace it for free (can't hurt to try).

I got glasses from walmart last year and they said they replace them for free no matter what for 1 year.

Also try one of the online eyeglass places. I've purchased spare glasses for about $20-$50 delivered. you don't even need to provide proof of prescripton, just type the numbers in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Or should I schedule/pay for another exam before getting a replacement? Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to undergo the time and $ that goes with another exam but not sure if the 6-month old prescription would be okay to use.
Prescriptions are good for a year. You don't need another exam unless you believe your vision has changed since your most recent exam.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Yes....most are good for 2 years, an exception is if you are diabetic, then it is one year. Go back to where you got your prescription and ask for a copy....or go to where you ordered your glasses and either see if they are covered for breakage/replacement, or order a new pair. They will have your prescription on record.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Typically eyesight don't change in two years. so yes, do it.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It was the frame. Stupid thing broke in half at the nose piece when I was putting them on this morning. Been using a backup pair for the time being.

Are the frames alone considerably cheaper? What about the eyeglass places that send out to have prescription glasses/lens made and then you pick them up in 7-10 days?
You might be able to get the same or similar frames and have the lenses put in them which would save you considerable money. FWIW I have ordered glasses from Zenni online and they have always been perfect, even had my eye doctor check that the prescription was right and it was. Much cheaper and you can order several pairs to keep around. On the sides or on the bridge of your frames you might find some numbers on it that will help in ordering online from Zenni. All you need which you may not have is the PD (pupil distance) numbers. Zenni has a tutorial and sheet to print to help you with that.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I don't know if the laws vary by state but here in Texas it needs to be less than one year old. I have taken a 9 or 10 month old prescription in to get new glasses. If you were planning on keeping your glasses for a year at least, there should be no problem getting a replacement pair with the existing prescription.
There is no law in Texas or anywhere else requiring that a Rx be less than a specified number of years old. The Supreme Court struck down an Oklahoma law to that effect. Opticians will tell you that there is such a law, but there isn't. Nearly all dispensing opticians have an optometrist in their office, and it is a racket to force you to pay for a new Rx. The optician can sell you lenses whenever they want, even if you self-declare your Rx from memory. It is perfectly legal to fit your frames with a replacement lens to match one that you broke, no matter how old it is. At least, I can find no such law, but I am prepared to be corrected if anyone can quote one.

Justr order your glasses from Zenni Optical. They will sell you whatever you ask for, and they are not breaking the law anywhere.

If you have had cataract surgery, it is medically impossible for your Rx to change during the remainder of your lifetime, but they will keep making you come back every year for the rest of your life and keep giving them money to confirm that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness