Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times

Advertisements

Ultimately it is your body. If you think there is something wrong make an appt with another doctor. You might even find one you like better.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Mod cut.

Anyway, I don't know, was it a shark bite or a cat bite? Tendons and damage check????

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2018 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It is all pink today. I am going to assume that is normal. It is swollen and i can't move the finger. I am angry with the doctor because she was so minimizing to the wound and sent me home with crap instructions which contradicted what she said. i am sure if i went back she would be all *oh wow i can hardly see it*.
and I totally agree with you. I am not a worrier in anyway. I had a cat one time that dug her nail into my hand so bad that I swear she got the bone (well probably not) but that was not the same as a bite. I know how bad it hurts though. BTW was this your regular doctor or what? Have you had mixed feelings about her in the past? I would have been concerned about the contradiction between what she told you and the final instructions. I am sure, btw that you are ok, just keep your eye on the bite.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Mod cut.

well that might be wrong but i wouldn't know because my arrogant doctor didn't tell me anything other than minimizing my wound that she told me to come in and get looked at. On the phone they are all that is so serious but in person they are like -- why are you wasting my time? And they wonder why people let things go.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2018 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

Old 02-19-2018, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Today I had a horrible incident. Long story short I got bit by my cat on my hands. BAD. It was deep and painful. I called the doctor to see if i should come in --they said yes. I went in.. the doc said, well that doesn't look like anything. She goes was it a scratch or a bite?

Jerk... I know it doesn't look like much but it was a deep puncture so it looks like nothing.

I ask if I need to get a tetanus shot. Nope she says. On her discharge notes it says yes if it has been over 5 years. it has.

She gives me an anti biotic and tells me to take it asap. I do with milk. Later reading the discharge notes it says check with your doctor about milk with an anti biotic, drat i took it with milk. I call her and she is very dismissive but no this anti biotic is ok with milk.

No check on tendons or any damage to the hands.
I'm confused. Who did you speak to when you called? It's pretty unusual for a doctor to be answering the phone in their office. You're saying "they" said yes to come in. I'm guessing you didn't talk to the doctor herself. So it's unsurprising that she asked you questions. From the sounds of it, she was not minimizing but wanting to know how the injury happened.

The tetanus shot, yeah, probably she should have checked your chart before she said it was unnecessary.

Re: antibiotics, it's always wise to take meds with water rather than other liquids. However, it should say on the prescription bottle if it truly is not OK to take it with anything else.

I'm sure she was observing your hands while she assessed you.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Cat bites can cause a bacterial infection! I've seen what a nasty cat bite/scratch can do. Go read up on cellulitis. Good thing you're on antibiotics. Keep an eye on it! Sorry the dr. was so dismissive.
Can people explain if they had family members have to go into the hospital if those family members got antibiotics right away? I have heard stories of issues only where the person was not put on anti biotics right away.

I got my first dose of antibiotics within 1 hour and 30 minutes of the bite.

I am familiar with cellulitis due to my mother getting that on a skinned knee.

I am sure it wasn't the same doctor but I don't understand why the staff was all, oh you must come in right now, and she was like "oh wait, let me get my glasses" No better yet, magnifying glass.. no I need the microscope for that tiny tiny tiny little wound. I hate the way they make you feel like they are wasting their time or overreacting when you are 100% following directions -- or trying to.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I've been bit by a cat twice. First time I did not go to the doctor and it turned into an infection, so I went in and was given antibiotics. My doctor told me to always get them for cat bites, so for the next one I went immediately.

If you don't like your doctor, get a new one. They are like anyone else, some you will like, some you won't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Today I had a horrible incident. Long story short I got bit by my cat on my hands. BAD. It was deep and painful. I called the doctor to see if i should come in --they said yes. I went in.. the doc said, well that doesn't look like anything. She goes was it a scratch or a bite?

Jerk... I know it doesn't look like much but it was a deep puncture so it looks like nothing.

I ask if I need to get a tetanus shot. Nope she says. On her discharge notes it says yes if it has been over 5 years. it has.

She gives me an anti biotic and tells me to take it asap. I do with milk. Later reading the discharge notes it says check with your doctor about milk with an anti biotic, drat i took it with milk. I call her and she is very dismissive but no this anti biotic is ok with milk.

No check on tendons or any damage to the hands.
First of all, clearly you don't HAVE a doctor with whom you have a relationship. Always telling when people say "THE doctor".

Everybody knows the standard protocol for a potentially dangerous cat bite. And puncture.

Did you go to some "urgent care" place?

Was it a resident? It's not unusual they screw up in some ways. Bedside manor, wrong a/b etc. I don't see residents unless I know what's going on to my satisfaction.

Was it a PA?

Even so, there was no dramatic error here.

See: MAYO CLINIC

Cat Bites Are More Dangerous than Previously Thought - Catster

https://consciouscat.net/2014/03/03/...bites-lightly/

There is no "check on tendons or damage to the hands" required on that visit.

I guarantee you this, as a professional pet sitter, who's had/seen bites.

She did exactly what she should have - with the question of the tetanus issue which remains up in the air as to why that happened.

Based on YOUR telling of the story.

The tetanus thing has always been TEN years, not five.

I don't even understand your complaint about the a/b.

You didn't read your own discharge instructions till AFTER you took an a/b.

It was okay to take with milk so what did you expect her to do in advance?

I understand your reaction because your own cat caused this dramatic, upsetting and painful thing. It happens. It's not the doctor's fault. Nor the cat's.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-19-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Of the many medical people I've dealt with, only a few were jerks. They were jerks in the same way that some of the legal beagles (lawyers) that I've encountered were jerks, having that attitude that because they have degrees in "professional" occupations, they are better than you.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Sounds like you need a new doctor. If I find the doctor to be a jerk, I move on. Too many out there that you can choose from--you can be picky.

I will agree that most put themselves on a high pedestal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness