Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

Anyone else get this recently? I sure did and it started while I was on my last day visiting family in Chicago. I got up at 7 am yesterday and helped my brother feed his kids breakfast. I made myself some eggs and coffee and within 2 hours later I was throwing up. I had to take a plane ride back to NY feeling this way. by the time I got home last night I had 102 fever. Thankfully none of my brother's family got it.I stayed home from work.Today I feel about 65% better, very weak but I did manage to eat some toast with jelly. Last time I got this was 10 years ago. I rarely get sick or have fevers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Anyone else get this recently? I sure did and it started while I was on my last day visiting family in Chicago. I got up at 7 am yesterday and helped my brother feed his kids breakfast. I made myself some eggs and coffee and within 2 hours later I was throwing up. I had to take a plane ride back to NY feeling this way. by the time I got home last night I had 102 fever. Thankfully none of my brother's family got it.I stayed home from work.Today I feel about 65% better, very weak but I did manage to eat some toast with jelly. Last time I got this was 10 years ago. I rarely get sick or have fevers.
I hate to say this, but there's no such illness. I'm not saying you weren't sick; I'm sure you are. But you don't have flu of any kind. Yes, stomach bugs are always going around. Drink lots of fluids.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You beat me to it - some/many call it stomach flu but there is no such thing.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:16 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Is "stomach bug" a more medically accurate term than "stomach flu"? Surely they are both just colloquialisms.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is "stomach bug" a more medically accurate term than "stomach flu"? Surely they are both just colloquialisms.
"Stomach bug" is far more accurate. Stomach infections have nothing to do with influenza (flu), and are a frequent cause of people saying they got a flu shot but got the "flu" anyway. The medical term is gastroenteritis, if you prefer.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
You all know what she means.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
I am sorry for your illness, whatever it was. Being sick and away from home base is stressful. There is no virus that causes this, it is bacteria. That can be treated or cleansed from your system with antibiotics. See a doctor to be treated or go to a first care infirmary. Drink a lot of fluids if you can.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I am sorry for your illness, whatever it was. Being sick and away from home base is stressful. There is no virus that causes this, it is bacteria. That can be treated or cleansed from your system with antibiotics. See a doctor to be treated or go to a first care infirmary. Drink a lot of fluids if you can.
Many viruses and bacteria can cause gastroenteritis. The OP should not go off and demand antibiotics.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/gastroenteritis/guide/

Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Many viruses and bacteria can cause gastroenteritis. The OP should not go off and demand antibiotics.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/gastroenteritis/guide/
Haven't read you in a while, nice to see you. Also parasites can cause this, possible when traveling. Chicago also has high levels of lead. What was the last thing I suggested? See a doctor.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
I had it on Christmas Eve.

I remember I was not hungry on the afternoon of the 23rd. I was walking home at about 8pm and I remember I felt very cold but did not have a stomach ache.

At about 10pm, I started feeling nausea, stomach ache and still felt very cold. I was shivering from the chills.

At 11pm, I had a really watery taste in my mouth and felt close to vomiting, but did not.

I fell asleep about 1am at 3:30am, I felt like I was going to vomit. I went out outside in a grassy area where there was fresh air and vomited several times.

I went back to bed and woke up several times with varying waves of nausea. I got up for the day about 1pm and went back to bed at 4pm. I felt very weak.

Remember going to sleep again at 4pm and getting up around 8pm and by then, I did feel much better at 8pm.

Seems like by the following afternoon, I felt much better.

The last time I vomited before December 24rd 2017, was in 2009 after I had ate something that I think was not cooked properly.

The stomach "flu"/norovirus last December was much different from the foodborne illness I had in 2009.

With the foodborne illness, I was extremely ill and passed out three times in the span of 6 hours and was in the emergency room but felt nearly 100% with-in 12 hours.

With the stomach flu I had I had nausea and no energy for a much longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness