Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this drug off and on for years but never went there and mostly due to costs but the side effect issues were always lurking in my mind. Anyone have experience with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've thought about this drug off and on for years but never went there and mostly due to costs but the side effect issues were always lurking in my mind. Anyone have experience with it.
Celebrex has fewer side effects than the ibuprofen you take.....

Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I tried it years ago and it didn’t work for my knee pain however I know a lot of people have great success with it. I’d try it again for sure. It’s less harmful tan. Large amounts of ibuprofen so really what do you have to lose?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:18 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I use it and I think it helps my knees. I get it through a Canadian pharmacy for about $80. for 3 months (generic). I’m thinking of knee replacement, so I’ll probably stop taking it after that, because it’s less convenient to get than OTC.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I use it and I think it helps my knees. I get it through a Canadian pharmacy for about $80. for 3 months (generic). I’m thinking of knee replacement, so I’ll probably stop taking it after that, because it’s less convenient to get than OTC.
Doesn't sound like it does enough for the cost and possible s/e. I ended up in the ER in the 80's due to an anti inflammatory drug so I tread slowly. I think I read that Celebrex is the sister drug to Vioxx which was taken off the market. Thanks.

I guess I can still manage on what I do and the pain reduction supplements I use. Also, I do have a block about supporting pharma more than I have to.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound like it does enough for the cost and possible s/e. I ended up in the ER in the 80's due to an anti inflammatory drug so I tread slowly. I think I read that Celebrex is the sister drug to Vioxx which was taken off the market. Thanks.

I guess I can still manage on what I do and the pain reduction supplements I use. Also, I do have a block about supporting pharma more than I have to.
What would you need to hear to convince you to take it? I can't imagine that anything would from the opinions you've voiced here!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:

Don’t know what a “sister” drug is.... there is no such thing...

Vioxx and Celebrex aren’t the same hence one is off the market other is not

Celebrex is also SIGNIFICANTLY less likely to cause a GI bleed than the ibuprofen you still take. Also less likely to cause renal damage or heart issues. All of which are more like with ibuprofen

Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I took it for years for my shoulder and it worked well until I finally had surgery to fix the problem. I didn't have any side affects while taking it, but I don't think it's meant to be taken long term though as with any NSAID.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
I took Celebrex for a short time many years ago - probably 20+ years ago - it did not help at all! Had absolutely no effect at all!

I would not recommend it. It has been linked to heart attacks.

Vioxx was a bit of a scandal - caused heart attacks - needed to be removed from the market. Same with Bextra - it caused heart attacks and was taken off the market. Celebrex is similar to Vioxx and Bextra.

The only thing that helps me is ibuprofen. I take Advil. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory and does absolutely nothing for my arthritis pain & lack of flexibility. Always take ibuprofen with food when you can to protect the stomach lining.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I took Celebrex for a short time many years ago - probably 20+ years ago - it did not help at all! Had absolutely no effect at all!

I would not recommend it. It has been linked to heart attacks.

Vioxx was a bit of a scandal - caused heart attacks - needed to be removed from the market. Same with Bextra - it caused heart attacks and was taken off the market. Celebrex is similar to Vioxx and Bextra.

The only thing that helps me is ibuprofen. I take Advil. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory and does absolutely nothing for my arthritis pain & lack of flexibility. Always take ibuprofen with food when you can to protect the stomach lining.
Thanks for your comments. I do muscle testing (energy work) and my body tells me No on celebrex and ibuprofen is ok for me...and yes I make sure food on stomach. I don't like taking any of it, but I want to keep moving. You know what I'm holding out for.... thanks friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness