Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 AM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

Went to my family doctor for help in losing weight. Wife confirmed I’m not over eating nor starving my body with insufficient calories. He ordered blood work and confirmed I have hypothyroid. Past week I’ve been taking the medication as directed and am noticing something I wasn’t expecting. For more than a decade I’ve had a sinus and inner ear congestion problem. At its worst I could hardly hear out my good ear and can’t breathe out my nose. Only a neti pot and or a strong decongestant would alleviate the problem. Since I’ve been taking the thyroid medication my nasal mucus has begun to thin and drain down the back of my throat and there’s less pressure in my ears. Have also noticed more motivation to get up and do things again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Sure....I can believe it about the energy...and the thyroid impacts nearly every part of the body. However, it usually takes several weeks to feel the full effects so - stay tuned!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
You'd expect more energy with thyroid supplements but improvement with nasal and sinus issues is a new one to me...

Hopefully you'll have improvement in several areas of your life.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,385 times
Low thyroid is associated with fluid accumulation but where you get it seems to vary with the person. My husband experienced what you did OP, an immediate rapid return of normal hearing and he stopped snoring (for awhile, he now has severe apnea not due to thyroid). His fluid accumulation was in his head, literally.

Me, on the other hand, I didn't have hearing or snoring issues, but one of the last symptoms I got after years of going undiagnosed was stiffness in my hands and feet that prevented me from functioning in the morning. I had to wake up a few minutes early and massage my feet to be able to stand up. Before I did anything like make coffee, I had to massage my hands. It was weird because it wasn't the bones and joints that felt stiff, it was the fleshy part. Still, I was told repeatedly that it was arthritis. Well, my "arthritis" resolved suddenly and completely within two weeks of starting a very low dose of thyroid medication. It was fluid retention in my extremities. The more they increased my medication, the more different symptoms disappeared, in the reverse order of their arrival. My cholesterol dropped dramatically in the first six months.

My experience with weight loss after starting medication was that nothing really happened until I had been stable on the same dose for a few months. Until then, I was able to stop the weight gain, but not able to lose anything. And yes, you do have to diet and/or increase your activity level, the medication is good, but not a miracle. Low carb seems to work well for many thyroid patients. A prolonged low calorie diet can actually make the thyroid slow down, which you don't want.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:32 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
OP: I've been taking thyroid med since 2002 and for going on 80 (hard for me to believe) I am more energetic overall in spite of OA pain.

As for the mucus issue, I've also been taking a antioxidant for decades and had no mucus for years but came up with some lately and just believe body changes and I'm not concerned, I just blow it out and it's clear, not infection. I blame dairy too for the mucus issues.

What we put in our mouths is the biggest factor. Thyroid addresses some 66 body systems.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
The increase in energy is to be expected with treatment, which is a good thing! Thyroid issues often come with or contribute too food intolerances or sensitivities. Sinus issues and congestion can be a manifestation of these foods. Treating your thyroid may be making you less sensitive to some of these foods. I bet if you did a food sensitivity test (it's a blood test), you would discover some.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I have NEVER heard of the relationship between food intolerance or sensitivity and thyroid? Any sources? I'd be interested in reading reliable sources.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
There is plenty of info on how soy consumption inhibits thyroid hormone production. I went thru that ordeal when soy hit the U.S. like gangbusters.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The increase in energy is to be expected with treatment, which is a good thing! Thyroid issues often come with or contribute too food intolerances or sensitivities. Sinus issues and congestion can be a manifestation of these foods. Treating your thyroid may be making you less sensitive to some of these foods. I bet if you did a food sensitivity test (it's a blood test), you would discover some.
Only food intolerance I have noticed is tomato sauce. I was stationed in Italy for two years in the 1990s with no adverse effects. Past ten to twenty years if I eat a certain amount of tomato based foods then I experience (trying to be polite and not gross) increased mucus discharge and swelling within the anus. Becomes like pushing Play-Do through the star opening in the Play-Do Fun Factory. After several days away from tomato based foods, things get back to normal.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Only food intolerance I have noticed is tomato sauce. I was stationed in Italy for two years in the 1990s with no adverse effects. Past ten to twenty years if I eat a certain amount of tomato based foods then I experience (trying to be polite and not gross) increased mucus discharge and swelling within the anus. Becomes like pushing Play-Do through the star opening in the Play-Do Fun Factory. After several days away from tomato based foods, things get back to normal.
Tomato has a lot of histamine, which might be why it affects you that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness