Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 PM

126 posts, read 137,132 times

Advertisements

For the past week or so I've been getting bitten by some type of insect that I believe to be in my house. I live in boston and last week it got very hot quickly. It had been in the 50's all of a sudden it was in the 90's. It dropped back down to the 60s last week now it's 50's and cold. I was spending more time outside in the yard when it was hot with my kids (2 and 4 years old), windows open in house, other than that no big changes. We also have a golden retriever. I noticed the bug bites last sunday or monday i'd say. First i noticed a patch of bites on the side of my calf. Very itchy, then I had two fairly close together on my wrist and two more on the side of my arm along with a few on my 'love handles.' I was like, what the hell is on me? They didnt seem like mosquito bites, my kids dont have bites, my husband doesnt have bites. The bites have NOT gone away, they're still there after a week and I've had a few more. Bed bugs crossed my mind and i inspected the beds and couches and i really don't see any traces that they tell you to look for-egg shells, fecal matter, the bugs themselves. I noticed a small black bug crawling on me earlier today...it wasn't jumpy like a flea normally is.

I did get flea bites back in 2002 when i was living in CA from a cat in the neighborhood who had bad case of them. I also wondered if these could be flea bites. It is bizarre to me that no one else in my house has them and they arent going away and I'm getting more bites! I'm really frustrated and i cant relax. I'm constantly walking around the house looking for bugs, looking in the couches, beds, rugs. I dont know what else to do other than call an exterminator. I woke up this morning with a bite on my face. It's like two little bumps next to each other.

One thing I know that we do have is mice. We've lived in this house since 2014 and they show up every year. We've had traps, had an exterminator out. I saw one earlier this week and i've seen droppings. Not sure if they are bringing along some type of bug with them but I've never had bug bites in this house. I was standing in the living room and i felt a little sting on ankle and i'd been bit. One night I felt my foot being bitten and now have little dots on my foot.

We are not dirty people, we do have two young kids and a dog but other than that my husband basically has OCD and cleans a lot. He seems to be in denial about my bites. He's like no one else has them, they're not in the house, you got them somewhere else. I haven't been anywhere else other than a kids bday party that was outside. I do take public transportation to work and i've wondered if i picked something up there

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? My mind is telling me bed bugs or fleas. I have seen a few spiders so i thought maybe that at one point but there are too many bites for it to be a spider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
I always think it's a small spider when I have bites like what you describe. They don't go away quickly. They sometimes have pus that wants out before they heal. The last time, when I would scratch. the tiny scabs would come off and there would be a tiny bit of blood.

Anyway, I had several too, and it wasn't bedbugs or fleas. I freaked out that it might somehow be bedbugs, but the bites healed and there have been no more.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Thanks! It's just really disturbing that after a week the bites are still there in all their glory and arent going away. I've put baking soda and apple cider vinegar on them. Took a bath earlier today which i normally dont do. I'm so worried it's bed bugs because they sound really trouble to get rid of and just are gross.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
If on observation of the bite you see two tiny marks right next to each other, there is a good possibility that a spider has sunk its fangs into you.
https://healthhearty.com/insect-bites-identification

Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Yes i thought that as well...but quite a few arent two tiny bites next to each other.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
Yes i thought that as well...but quite a few arent two tiny bites next to each other.
Hopefully going to that link will help you identify the bites.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:15 AM

i was bit again last night on the back of the leg. about 3 bites. Searched all over the bed, sheets and I'm finding nothing!!

Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
Thanks! It's just really disturbing that after a week the bites are still there in all their glory and arent going away. I've put baking soda and apple cider vinegar on them. Took a bath earlier today which i normally dont do. I'm so worried it's bed bugs because they sound really trouble to get rid of and just are gross.
There's a clue.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Have you seen signs of fleas? Checked your dog?? Does your dog have flea and tick preventative?

Flea fecal matter appears on pet as dark little crumbles...and the pet scratches a lot. Also, I think they choose some folks and not others for some reason.Do the bites itch??

We had a thread like this a few months ago, might want to look for it......turned out to be fleas.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM

649 posts, read 817,019 times
I am allergic to fleas. I end up with big welt looking bites and no one else ever has any. Fleas are usually around your ankles and feet however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness