Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This is from the article you linked:

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes."

That confirms what I said. Concentrated refined sugar, separate from a natural food source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, a lot of good info in that article ^^. As far as including sugar, my feeling is a VERY SMALL amount is OK AFTER a healthy meal (protein, veggies, etc) The protein and fat in the meal will slow the spike of the sugar, especially if it is just a small amount.

The problem with people consuming large amounts of processed sugar (especially in sodas!!!! ) is that it will cause a flood of insulin to be released; and after a time the body gets insulin resistant, which can result in high blood sugar. For myself, I stick to a small handful of chocolate covered almonds, sometimes mixed with a few dried fruits after dinner. Very satisfying for the sweet tooth, and not too harmful.

Regular exercise, even just walking for a short time, goes a long way to reduce blood sugar.
I agree with all of that.

And good idea combining chocolate with natural food. It might not be at all harmful that way.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I think it is pretty much accepted that sugar isn't good for you.

I have a low tolerance for sweet things, even a raw carrot tastes to sugary to me, and I've always been that way. I bought a pizza crust and it came with a sauce, which was disgustingly too sweet.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from becoming pre-diabetic.
I have been getting less tolerant for sugar. I never was crazy about it, but I like dessert sometimes.

I think they put way too much in most of the cookies, etc., you can buy in the store.

As for why you are pre-diabetic in spite of doing everything right -- there must be a reason, and it can't be entirely genetic.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
All carbohydrate foods, whether starch or sugar, become glucose during digestion. Glucose is what causes an insulin response. Too many, and too prolonged insulin responses, can contribute to diabetes. If you are age 45 to 50, you cannot consume sugars and starches the way you did in youth, as your insulin levels will spike more easily in middle age, than in youth.

If you wish to avoid diabetes, you need to control your insulin, not just your sugar. Realizing that all starches - potatoes, grains, pasta, breads, corn - become glucose once eaten, and it's not just sucrose (sugar) you need to watch, is a big step toward controlling your insulin. And insulin control is diabetes control.

I can't believe that so many people over age 45 are still stuffing themselves with pasta, bread, cereal, wine, and (shudder) soda, and thinking, "I'm not eating anything sweet or sugary, so I should be OK". No wonder we are Obesity Nation!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

Old 05-17-2018, 04:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
All carbohydrate foods, whether starch or sugar, become glucose during digestion. Glucose is what causes an insulin response. Too many, and too prolonged insulin responses, can contribute to diabetes. If you are age 45 to 50, you cannot consume sugars and starches the way you did in youth, as your insulin levels will spike more easily in middle age, than in youth.

If you wish to avoid diabetes, you need to control your insulin, not just your sugar. Realizing that all starches - potatoes, grains, pasta, breads, corn - become glucose once eaten, and it's not just sucrose (sugar) you need to watch, is a big step toward controlling your insulin. And insulin control is diabetes control.

I can't believe that so many people over age 45 are still stuffing themselves with pasta, bread, cereal, wine, and (shudder) soda, and thinking, "I'm not eating anything sweet or sugary, so I should be OK". No wonder we are Obesity Nation!
I know! Just eat protein and fat and you'll live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I am 56 and in great shape and I LOVE pasta and sourdough bread, and potatoes and white rice! OMG I cannot believe I do not have diabetes yet.

People are obese because they OVEREAT crappy food. Of course if someone is pre diabetic or has diabetes they need to cut out the simple carbs. And an obese person would be advised to go low carb in order to lose weight.

I would love to see and end to these blanket statements that demonize food groups and assumptions that everyone needs to do the same thing.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am 56 and in great shape and I LOVE pasta and sourdough bread, and potatoes and white rice! OMG I cannot believe I do not have diabetes yet.

People are obese because they OVEREAT crappy food. Of course if someone is pre diabetic or has diabetes they need to cut out the simple carbs. And an obese person would be advised to go low carb in order to lose weight.

I would love to see and end to these blanket statements that demonize food groups and assumptions that everyone needs to do the same thing.
It's like married people wanting everyone to be married like them or have kids like them....NO! I won't get married, have kids, OR cut out carbs (all pure evil! ). And I'm nowhere near diabetic. The middle road is always best and that's the one I'm taking.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:15 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Yes, I agree, but I think the poster you quoted was referring to those who STUFF themselves with those foods. I eat all the foods you do, but don't "stuff." And I exercise every single day and drink tons of water. I also like my daily glasses of wine. It is important to be happy, and it makes me happy to consume these foods.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 PM

635 posts, read 784,695 times
I will add that your activity level will have a big effect on how you use sugar. I read once that white rice was a 100 on a scale going to 100. A healthy diet with eating in moderation is what is good for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness