Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times

Advertisements

So I woke up this morning (around 5 am), started work at 6 am and 30 minutes in ended up going to my room. I quickly realized I had food poisoning. It has been an AWFUL day. First, I couldn't go back to sleep even though I felt exhausted - I was up and down to the bathroom (thankfully I was not barfing, though it felt like I might).

What freaked me out though was the severe cramping and the random body pain. I was not running a fever, but I would get random twinges all over my body that were startlingly painful, and my stomach was just cramping into a knot to the point it was causing lower back pain. I drank small sips of water and hoped things would get better.

Eventually I texted a coworker to let her know I was not coming back to work, and asked her if I should go to the ER (we discuss health issues a lot). She told me if I was asking, I probably needed to go. But the idea of going to an ER where sleep would be impossible and I'd have to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes was not appealing. I decided to tough it out.

At around 2 pm, I took some Advil PM to help with the body pains and help me sleep. I had not taken it earlier because I was worried about the nausea causing complications with the ibuprofen (it seemed logical at the time). It worked - knocked me out for 2 hours and I woke up feeling a little shaky about 30 minutes ago. I might even eat something.

But here's my question - should I have gone to the ER? I didn't go because it seemed like a hassle, but I was also a bit scared that something beyond food poisoning was going on. Also, no one was around to drive me, and I didn't trust myself behind the wheel with all that was going on. An ambulance DEFINITELY would have been overkill. At what point does it seem wise to go to the ER with food poisoning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
In reference to food poisoning, the Mayo Clinic says that many cases are self-treatable.

However, if you experience any of the following signs or symptoms, seek medical attention.
  • Frequent episodes of vomiting and inability to keep liquids down
  • Bloody vomit or stools
  • Diarrhea for more than three days
  • Extreme pain or severe abdominal cramping
  • An oral temperature higher than 100.4 F (38 C)
  • Signs or symptoms of dehydration — excessive thirst, dry mouth, little or no urination, severe weakness, dizziness, or lightheadedness
  • Neurological symptoms such as blurry vision, muscle weakness and tingling in the arms
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20356230

Some of these symptoms could also be caused by a bacterial infection like C. diff (Clostridium difficile) or something else for which you would want to seek medical attention anyway.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
In reference to food poisoning, the Mayo Clinic says that many cases are self-treatable.

However, if you experience any of the following signs or symptoms, seek medical attention.
  • Frequent episodes of vomiting and inability to keep liquids down
  • Bloody vomit or stools
  • Diarrhea for more than three days
  • Extreme pain or severe abdominal cramping
  • An oral temperature higher than 100.4 F (38 C)
  • Signs or symptoms of dehydration — excessive thirst, dry mouth, little or no urination, severe weakness, dizziness, or lightheadedness
  • Neurological symptoms such as blurry vision, muscle weakness and tingling in the arms
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20356230

Some of these symptoms could also be caused by a bacterial infection like C. diff (Clostridium difficile) or something else for which you would want to seek medical attention anyway.
Thanks! I tried plugging in my symptoms earlier and didn't get back much information. Definitely didn't have a fever, though the cramps and body pain were awful - mainly because they meant I couldn't fall asleep to rest. Nothing else was that dramatic besides the bathroom trips, which ended when there was nothing left to expel. Frankly I'm still a little fuzzy, but I think that's the Advil PM doing that.

Much appreciated. off to drink some more water!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
If the pain etc was not enough to warrant an immediate trip to an ER, why not see your regular doctor, or a urgent care clinic instead ?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:12 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
When you are not VERY sure that what you are suffering is food-poisoning and the problem does not improve.....best to get checked-out.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I think you did the right thing, and the ER was not necessary. Now IF it continues I would see my doctor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-26-2018, 06:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Never having had food poisoning and disliking hospitals as I do, I'd have rode it out. Are you sure it was food poison? I had a tad of upset stomach the other evening after a more than normal dinner which included a beer which I rarely have, and my stomach was out of sorts, so a gulp pf baking soda in water did the trick. I slept good all night thanks to the B.S.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:50 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Never having had food poisoning and disliking hospitals as I do, I'd have rode it out. Are you sure it was food poison? I had a tad of upset stomach the other evening after a more than normal dinner which included a beer which I rarely have, and my stomach was out of sorts, so a gulp pf baking soda in water did the trick. I slept good all night thanks to the B.S.
I also was wondering if this was actually food poisoning and not just a stomach virus of some sort? I had food poisoning once and let me tell ya, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach! Had I been able to leave the bathroom (I’ll spare the details) I would have went to the ER!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also was wondering if this was actually food poisoning and not just a stomach virus of some sort? I had food poisoning once and let me tell ya, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach! Had I been able to leave the bathroom (I’ll spare the details) I would have went to the ER!
Stomach virus is a catch-all term that can include food poisoning.
https://familydoctor.org/condition/s...stroenteritis/

Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 PM

255 posts, read 183,810 times
Unless it's continuing for several days, don't go. Save your money.
Also fyi, an urgent care clinic can be just as expensive as the ER..trust me.
I took my daughter to an urgent clinic and insurance is refusing to pay..$700 and the Dr didnt even do anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness