Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:12 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

If you say that eating "lame" stuff doesn't cause you gastric distress, then you should eat far more of the lame stuff and less of the stuff that causes you distress.
The stuff isn't "lame"; it doesn't make you feel that way. Seems like common sense to me. Your New Reality has been knocking on the door for quite a while. Time to listen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the nutritional content of a Cinnabon classic roll (which has less calories than some others of Cinnabon) and it has 880 calories, 37 grams of fat, and 58 grams of sugar in one roll. If this is the type of cinnamon roll the OP is eating, it is no wonder there are issues. I would probably have gastric distress pretty quickly with 2 because my base metabolic rate isn’t even this many calories.

A Pillsbury style grand is only 140 calories with 4.5 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I used to get these symptoms after eating a sugary breakfast. I am convinced my metabolism was screwed up by trying the Atkins diet as a young adult.

I now know to stay away from foods heavy in available sugar (soda, candy, pancake syrup with HFCS). A little sugar mixed with carbs does not affect me the same way.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The stuff isn't "lame"; it doesn't make you feel that way. Seems like common sense to me. Your New Reality has been knocking on the door for quite a while. Time to listen!
Um, the OP used the word "lame" in his initial post. I merely repeated it.

And I'm ok diet wise, thanks.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the nutritional content of a Cinnabon classic roll (which has less calories than some others of Cinnabon) and it has 880 calories, 37 grams of fat, and 58 grams of sugar in one roll. If this is the type of cinnamon roll the OP is eating, it is no wonder there are issues. I would probably have gastric distress pretty quickly with 2 because my base metabolic rate isn’t even this many calories.

A Pillsbury style grand is only 140 calories with 4.5 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar.
I think the two large cinnamon rolls are standard grocery purchased ones, not cinnabon. And if that's the case, two of them is probably in the neighborhood of 700. Too much at one sitting, no wonder he's not feeling well.

Solution for him is what I've said, eating less of the garbage and more of the "feel good" stuff.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM

9,861 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
This morning I had potatoes, eggs, blueberries and vanilla yogurt. Same result. In fact, I am a lot worse than yesterday. Felt fine before I ate, have been sick with all the same symptoms pretty much from about 30 minutes after eating and lasting for the last 6+ hours now. There is definitely something wrong but with no insurance - I don't know what to do. Maybe go to Walmart and see if I cant find a cheap blood pressure monitor and cheap blood sugar monitor? I don't know if my blood sugar is too high, too low and same with the blood pressure. But whatever the problem is - it is definitely related to eating. I can barely stand up or walk across the room.
Just eat the eggs tomorrow and see how you do.

I used to have the same symptoms you did, and I still do if I eat carbs in the morning.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:40 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
There's an expression that "the dose makes the poison."

What size portions are you talking about with potatoes, eggs, yogurt and blueberries? And just how big were the "huge" cinnamon rolls with icing?

Perhaps you are just eating too much at one time even with reasonably healthy choices? Personally, while I don't think potatoes, eggs, yogurt and blueberries are necessarily unhealthy, that sounds like two breakfasts worth of food to me.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
sugars and carbs are the food demons not meats not fats.....

I eat meat and fats and very very low carb/sugar... and ive never felt better..

Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
It's called dumping syndrome: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_syndrome

"Dumping syndrome occurs when food, especially sugar, moves too quickly from the stomach to the duodenum."

"The symptoms of early and late dumping syndrome are different and vary from person to person. Early dumping syndrome symptoms may include:[1]
nausea
vomiting
abdominal pain and cramping
diarrhea
feeling uncomfortably full or bloated after a meal
sweating
weakness
dizziness
flushing, or blushing of the face or skin
rapid or irregular heartbeat

The symptoms of late dumping syndrome may include:[1]
hypoglycemia
sweating
weakness
rapid or irregular heartbeat
flushing
dizziness"
I agree. Dumping syndrome.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Time to get personal: how tall are you and how much do you weigh? This will tell us a lot.

Also, the fact that you describe certain healthy foods as "lame" means you have probably eaten a really bad diet for most of your life. And too much of it, also, from the breakfast you described. Anyone who would knowingly eat TWO sweet buns with morning coffee or whatever is not really serious about getting healthy. You need to smarten up and realize that you aren't nine years old anymore. Your body is trying to tell you something but you're not listening.

Sorry for the straight talk but I think you need to be shocked out of your bad eating habits.

P.S. I've read Sugar Blues also and it's quite an eye opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness