Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:10 AM

401 posts, read 529,574 times

Advertisements

So I have noticed this problem for many years to some degree, but recently it has become much worse. Here's the deal. Any time I eat something with a high sugar and/or fat content (but mostly sugar), within about 30 minutes - and lasting as long as 8-10 hours later - I get really hot, my heart races/pounds, I get out of breath, and I get "the shakes" or tremors and feel light-headed, dizzy and just plain feel awful.

If I stick with lame, low calorie foods like salads, vegetables, soup, etc....this does not happen. This morning is a perfect example. This is unusual, and rare - but I happened to eat two huge cinnamon rolls with icing - and for the last several hours, I have been suffering the consequences.

I lost my health insurance after exhausting my life-savings on the premiums for coverage I couldn't use anyway thanks to the insane deductible - about a year ago (next month will be 1 year with no health insurance), but every year up until that time - I had a complete annual physical exam with all the blood tests done and every year it always came back normal with no thyroid or blood sugar issues.

Has anyone heard of anything like this or experienced anything similar? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Um, don't eat sugar?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,676,278 times
Quote:
So I have noticed this problem for many years to some degree, but recently it has become much worse. Here's the deal. Any time I eat something with a high sugar and/or fat content (but mostly sugar), within about 30 minutes - and lasting as long as 8-10 hours later - I get really hot, my heart races/pounds, I get out of breath, and I get "the shakes" or tremors and feel light-headed, dizzy and just plain feel awful.

If I stick with lame, low calorie foods like salads, vegetables, soup, etc....this does not happen. This morning is a perfect example. This is unusual, and rare - but I happened to eat two huge cinnamon rolls with icing - and for the last several hours, I have been suffering the consequences.

I lost my health insurance after exhausting my life-savings on the premiums for coverage I couldn't use anyway thanks to the insane deductible - about a year ago (next month will be 1 year with no health insurance), but every year up until that time - I had a complete annual physical exam with all the blood tests done and every year it always came back normal with no thyroid or blood sugar issues.

Has anyone heard of anything like this or experienced anything similar? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sounds like hypoglycemia. You load up on carbs & sugar (pancakes for breakfast did it for me a lot of times) and your body overreacts by amping up insulin production which then drops the sugar levels too fast. I used to get it frequently when I was younger, most often in the a.m. (probably because you've been fasting all night).

The solution is to moderate your sugar/carb intake in the morning, and if you get lightheaded try eating a little fat/protein (a slice of cheese used to work for me).

Luckily if all you have is hypoglycemia you can easily treat it yourself.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Your body is changing and telling you that in no uncertain terms you arent to eat those things. Your blood sugar probably goes through the roof when you eat that stuff.
On the bright side, if you can kick sugary foods for around 3 weeks you can kick your dependence on sugar, and you wont want to eat that stuff anymore.
But stop eating that stuff now before your body gets worse, unless you want to handicap yourself.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
OP: Don't you get the message..Sugars are the killers, the damage makers in so many ways, eat those lame "clean" foods.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I get you. For the short term, be sure to eat some protein to lower the sugar surge.

For the long term, maybe dedicate one day a week to enjoy such a high amount of sweets/fat. Balance.

I can't eat a lot of fat either or I get gastric distress. Again, this can be solved by relegating such things to once a week and clean eating the other days.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Maybe you’re in love.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:

If you know what happens when you eat a load of sugar, why do it? Your annual exam (I assume with the usual 12 hour fast, right?) is intended to measure different things, not a temporary spike or drop in blood values after one ill-advised meal.

It should help to do some experimenting to establish how much sugar is "too much". For many people there are usually thresholds over which they can guarantee they'll pay a price for what they consume...fat, alcohol, sugar, things that trigger allergic reactions, caffeine, dairy, gluten, etc. You just have to learn what your particular system will and won't tolerate. For example, you might find you could have enjoyed half of that cinnamon roll or eat one without the frosting and be OK. Two was not OK. Up to you to find out and adjust to reality.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 PM

765 posts, read 474,322 times
darlin' your body obviously just can't handle the sugar and the resulting spike of sugars in your bloodstream. You could be pre-diabetic or even be in the zone of diabetes 2.

first thing, i hear you about the prohibitive cost of insurance....but there are resources out there that are FREE and might help you deal with this. Second? Find a copy of SUGAR BLUES, it might still be in your library, hopefully you have an statewide library system that you can go to online and find what library has a copy.... or just hit some of the thrift book stores. I highly recommend this book, it might scare you straight from over dosing any longer on sugar laden products and start you on the road to more sensible eating. THIRD? VERY IMPORTANT: Get thee to your town Health Department!!!! I think every town in America has free screenings quarterly or maybe just bi-annually if you are out in a rural area, you can get definitive diagnosis on diabetes. You can call your state Health Department to see what screenings they offer and where. I truly can't imagine you cannot find free screenings anywhere, your town will have social workers too who can offer programs or support.

In the interim, check out the local hospital for screenings, clinics too. And your town health department, might, like mine, have a nutritional counselor or even a dietician and there will be no charge for using them. GOOD LUCK!!!!! BE PROACTIVE AND TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR NUTRITION. Our populace is one of the least educated when it comes to good nutrition and doctors/health professionals are increasingly putting greater emphasis on nutrition as a way to control even such awful diseases as cancer.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:

Something like that happens to me sometimes. Not often.

Do you take your blood pressure at home? I suggest you start doing that regularly. Like every day, maybe more than once a day.

My blood pressure is normal. But when I take it at home in the morning, it's still normal, but much lower than in the doctor's office.

I have gotten dizzy off and on for years. I think it's probably my blood pressure. It can happen if I eat too much sugar at a time, but particularly if I don't eat at all for a while and then go somewhere where I am standing up for a length of time.

I have only gotten the shakes a couple of times, and that was after not eating for hours. I don't have diabetes or blood sugar issues or any medical condition.

The reason you MAY react to the sugar more than most is maybe you aren't used to eating much sugar, and then you overload on it? Just a thought.

I suggest:
Keep track of your blood pressure.

When you eat sugary things, eat some protein at about the same time. The protein cuts your body's insulin reaction to the sugar.

Cut back on sugar, of course. Maybe substitute fruit, which is sweet but has vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
The body doesn't have as much of an insulin reaction to fruit as to refined sweets.

Either eat sugar less often, or eat less of it when you do eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness