Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I always thought auto insurance costs needed to be based on driver's record. I never had an accident all the years I drove but my insurance costs was based on zip code.

Same with a person's health, the healthier they are and less doctor/hospital visits the less they would pay.

Yea, I know there is that one time BUT...how about all the other times.

I'm getting psyched for my annual MD visit early next year, and if it were not for a couple meds refills, I'd not even go.
Great post and I agree if you are a good driver why should you pay for bad drivers. Same as healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 AM

329 posts, read 512,017 times
High deductible plans are a barrel of sh*t.

You gotta shell out thousands before your insurance kicks in just so your premium deducted out of your paycheck is "lower".

Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Obamacare was created by the health insurance companies.

We have universal access to healthcare. I know of no law that prohibits anyone from picking up a phone and making an appointment with any physician they choose. The restrictions are imposed by the health insurance companies. Preexisting conditions is an INSURANCE issue. Not a health access issue. Type of care covered is an insurance issue, ie, insurance does not for preventive care such as functional medicine or alternative or complementary care.

Ger rid of health insurance companies. You'd be shocked to see how quickly prices start falling. And how many options people actually have for healthcare. Not insurance.

I agree that Obamacare was created by the health insurance companies.

It doesn't matter if there is a law restricting access to healthcare if a provider won't schedule an appointment if you don't have health insurance.

I'm not sure where you are going with your other comments. Denying insurance due to pre-existing conditions is currently not allowed. This could change in the near future. I don't trust insurance companies to determine what should be covered. Their decision will be based on a profit motive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Great post and I agree if you are a good driver why should you pay for bad drivers. Same as healthcare.

Are you lumping bad drivers and people with terminal illness together?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
If you've ever had Medicaid, it's an eye-opening experience. It beats Medicare by miles, and when I think of all the thousands and thousands and thousands we spent on premiums while working, it raises my blood pressure. When I think of relatives on SS who shell out monthly premiums for Medicare, after having deductions from their paychecks all their working lives, that doesn't make me feel any better.

Now that I'm working again, I have no plan at work as they make sure no one works over a certain amount of hours there.

I vote for single payer, medicaid for everyone, and if we had back the money that goes on insurance premiums and co-pays for both doctors and drugs, we could afford good coverage for everyone, and include dental and vision and hearing aids, too.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With my medical maladies here in Montreal i'm in the hospital for one thing or another on a weekly basis,i'm not seeing these long lines you speak of.Today its first check of a maturing fistula then an appointment with the nephrologist then a session with dietician ,Cost? $0.00
It also seems logical to me the more people you have paying taxes for universal healthcare the more sucessful the system.
You keep talking about how great your insurance is, well maybe if we had 30million population vs 330million, things could be different here too...plus our countries are run differently in many ways.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree that Obamacare was created by the health insurance companies.

It doesn't matter if there is a law restricting access to healthcare if a provider won't schedule an appointment if you don't have health insurance.

I'm not sure where you are going with your other comments. Denying insurance due to pre-existing conditions is currently not allowed. This could change in the near future. I don't trust insurance companies to determine what should be covered. Their decision will be based on a profit motive.

Are you lumping bad drivers and people with terminal illness together?
Perhaps many terminal illnesses could have been prevented in the first place, no???

Taking care of one's own health from the early years. Smokers are not enhancing their health, so pay more for insurance as well and in general.

I'm talking about insurance in general actually.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-14-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
"Blame the patient"! It's amazing to me how many authorities there are here on CD who think every illness and condition that they don't have is caused by "lifestyle", or "bad diet", or whatever. NO ONE has bad genes, or just bad luck to get some diseases. Heck, if you are a male, you are automatically at higher risk for heart disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you've ever had Medicaid, it's an eye-opening experience. It beats Medicare by miles, and when I think of all the thousands and thousands and thousands we spent on premiums while working, it raises my blood pressure. When I think of relatives on SS who shell out monthly premiums for Medicare, after having deductions from their paychecks all their working lives, that doesn't make me feel any better.

Now that I'm working again, I have no plan at work as they make sure no one works over a certain amount of hours there.

I vote for single payer, medicaid for everyone, and if we had back the money that goes on insurance premiums and co-pays for both doctors and drugs, we could afford good coverage for everyone, and include dental and vision and hearing aids, too.
Medicaid benefits depend on the state. People have very unrealistic ideas about single-payer, thinking it's totally "between doctor and patient" with no oversight, restrictions, and the like.

Quote:
Perhaps many terminal illnesses could have been prevented in the first place, no???

Taking care of one's own health from the early years. Smokers are not enhancing their health, so pay more for insurance as well and in general.

See my first response.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:

I won't go as far as agreeing that a terminal illness like cancer could have been prevented in the first place, but I agree there should be incentives for people to live a healthy lifestyle.

The trouble is, it doesn't really benefit insurance companies. People tend to be insured by many different health insurers over their lifetime. Some healthy lifestyle behaviors, such as exercise, have advantages over long periods of times in preventing chronic illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes. How would you go about providing an an incentive to someone for changing to a healthy diet or beginning an exercise program? Who determines what a healthy diet is or what qualifies as an exercise program? Do you provide an incentive for not smoking? If so, do you test the person for nicotine and how often? Does that become part of the health insurers data on that individual?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I won't go as far as agreeing that a terminal illness like cancer could have been prevented in the first place, but I agree there should be incentives for people to live a healthy lifestyle.

The trouble is, it doesn't really benefit insurance companies. People tend to be insured by many different health insurers over their lifetime. Some healthy lifestyle behaviors, such as exercise, have advantages over long periods of times in preventing chronic illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes. How would you go about providing an an incentive to someone for changing to a healthy diet or beginning an exercise program? Who determines what a healthy diet is or what qualifies as an exercise program? Do you provide an incentive for not smoking? If so, do you test the person for nicotine and how often? Does that become part of the health insurers data on that individual?
I'm no insurance expert but have a lot of common sense. When I fill out a health questionaire at a doctor's office one of the questions is tobacco user. Alcohol drinker, how many a day etc....

Same for hospital admittance and by then it's too late due to poor choices.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:

Since a lot of Americans have no desire to take care of themselves the point is moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness