Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone here has seen a connection between flu shots, or rather, people that have had the flu shot, getting flu, or something really nasty resembling flu, but others not getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I wonder if anyone here has seen a connection between flu shots, or rather, people that have had the flu shot, getting flu, or something really nasty resembling flu, but others not getting it.
Yes, you can get flu after taking the vaccine. It does not prevent all strains, and it is less effective than many other vaccines.

Not every illness that looks like flu is caused by flu viruses. Other viruses can cause the same symptoms.

There is a particularly unpleasant bacterial respiratory illness circulating in my community now which causes a wretched cough. DH and I both had it. There is no vaccine for it, and flu vaccine will not protect against it.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, you can get flu after taking the vaccine. It does not prevent all strains, and it is less effective than many other vaccines.

Not every illness that looks like flu is caused by flu viruses. Other viruses can cause the same symptoms.

There is a particularly unpleasant bacterial respiratory illness circulating in my community now which causes a wretched cough. DH and I both had it. There is no vaccine for it, and flu vaccine will not protect against it.
I'm not sure if it's the same illness, but I've just had a nasty chest, that lasted about three weeks. The odd thing is that I, and all the people that had the flu jab, at the nursing home my wife works at, have had the same, though my wife, who dodged having the jab, also avoided getting ill with the same infection.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband's co-worker lost his five year old daughter to the flu yesterday.
That is so sad. Even when the flu vaccine does not prevent one from getting the flu it has a great effect in reducing the severity of the illness.

CDC reports that between 2010-2012 that those children vaccinated for the flu had a 74% less chance of requiring an admission to a pediatric intensive care unit at a hospital than those children who were not vaccinated.

The figure is 82% less for adults who were vaccinated compared to those who were not as measured from 2012-2015.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Other studies show that vaccinated adults are 52% to 79% less likely to die from the influenza if they are vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/v...e-outcomes.htm

The flu is serious business and vaccination is the single most effective way to either prevent it or reduce its severity.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-16-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Let's make sure there is NO vaccine argument on this forum. I will let the previous post stand but no more pros and cons about vaccines. Only posts that are very pertinent to the original post about the flu this year.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's the same illness, but I've just had a nasty chest, that lasted about three weeks. The odd thing is that I, and all the people that had the flu jab, at the nursing home my wife works at, have had the same, though my wife, who dodged having the jab, also avoided getting ill with the same infection.
With any infection not everyone who is exposed will get sick. If the illness is not flu or is a strain not covered by the vaccine, the vaccine will provide no protection. Have any of the sick people been tested for flu?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
With any infection not everyone who is exposed will get sick. If the illness is not flu or is a strain not covered by the vaccine, the vaccine will provide no protection. Have any of the sick people been tested for flu?
To be honest, the first time I've heard of testing for flu, is in this thread. It's not something our NHS in the UK, seems concerned with. I didn't even get tested when I had pneumonia last year, though I wasn't allowed to leave the doctor's surgery before taking a load of steroid tablets, and a high dose antibiotic.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
To be honest, the first time I've heard of testing for flu, is in this thread. It's not something our NHS in the UK, seems concerned with. I didn't even get tested when I had pneumonia last year, though I wasn't allowed to leave the doctor's surgery before taking a load of steroid tablets, and a high dose antibiotic.
There are tests that can be done in the office.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8649066.html

Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,961 times
Quote:

Yes... the connection is those that get the flu shot get the flu less often.

I find it quite disturbing that only 37% of adults can bother themselves to get a flu shot.
Moderator cut: political

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-16-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 06:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"CDC says it’s another bad flu season..."
well, is there a GOOD flu season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness