Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I'm on Salamol, and Clenil Modulite 200 at the moment. Sometimes it's best to not try too hard to get the dosage down, since illnesses hit hard and fast, (like this chest infection that's going around), and it can take time to get your lungs in a condition to be able to deal with it. On the subject of getting dosages down though; I think doctors and nurses sometimes try a little too hard to ration meds, not knowing we often know ourselves better than they do.

Good luck though, if you can get dosages down, safely.
Yes, that's definitely true. I had been almost completely off meds since last summer and was doing really well, am hoping to get to that point again. Hope you improve quickly and are able to cut down as well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I'm a teacher. Lots of kids our with confirmed flu. But we didn't see any cases until the last 2 weeks. Also a couple teachers out with it.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
At one of the places I work, we have an entire respiratory panel that will test for twenty-one different things, mostly viral and a few bacterial. Where I live, there seems to be a lot of Coronavirus going around, in addition to Adenovirus and Rhino/Enterovirus, which are pretty standard fare. I remember last year, into the Spring, Parainfluenza was really making its way around.

There are also a lot of coinfections going on with patients as well.
Thank you! That’s interesting!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It estimates that the flu killed more than 80,000 people ...
I’ve heard that number quite a bit. It will be interesting to see the big picture when the 2018 National Vital Statistics Reports (NVSR) are released.

Currently, the most recent is 2016 & it states deaths at 51,537, 8th leading cause of death for 1.9% of total deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr67/nvsr67_06.pdf. (Page 9)

That is, of course for “Influenza & Pneumonia”, with ICD-10 codes of J09-J18. I really wish it were clarified, as J09-J18 seem very broad:
Quote:
J09: Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus
J10: Influenza due to other identified influenza virus
J11: Influenza, virus not identified
J12: Viral pneumonia, not elsewhere classified
J13: Pneumonia due to Streptococcus pneumoniae
J14: Pneumonia due to Haemophilus influenzae
J15: Bacterial pneumonia, not elsewhere classified
J16: Pneumonia due to other infectious organisms, not elsewhere classified
J17: Pneumonia in diseases classified elsewhere
J18: Pneumonia, organism unspecified
ICD-10:

I’m curious about J15; as it includes Pneumonia due to staph, group B strep & Escherichia coli without diagnosed flu.

I’m also curious about J17; as it includes Pneumonia due to anthrax, gonorrhoea, typhoid fever & whooping cough, etc ... Also without having been diagnosed with the flu. Not to mention that some of those are vaccine preventative diseases & reportable/tracked as well. J17 also includes Pneumonia from parasites.

I’m just wondering how these are adjusted for in research; for both vaccine effectiveness studies & mortality rate data.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

That is, of course for “Influenza & Pneumonia”, with ICD-10 codes of J09-J18. I really wish it was clarified, as J09-J18 seem very broad:

J09: Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus
J10: Influenza due to other identified influenza virus
J11: Influenza, virus not identified
J12: Viral pneumonia, not elsewhere classified
J13: Pneumonia due to Streptococcus pneumoniae
J14: Pneumonia due to Haemophilus influenzae
J15: Bacterial pneumonia, not elsewhere classified
J16: Pneumonia due to other infectious organisms, not elsewhere classified
J17: Pneumonia in diseases classified elsewhere
J18: Pneumonia, organism unspecified

... curious about J17; as it includes Pneumonia due to anthrax, gonorrhoea, typhoid fever & whooping cough, etc ...

ICD-10:
No ICD-10 fluent posters yet? Sorry, I'm prone to fixating on stuff but I'm just wondering; since flu deaths include codes: J09 to J18 ... If I have Anthrax & die from pneumonia ... Have I died from Anthrax Pneumonia or Secondary Pneumonia?

Will I then be counted as a flu death?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
I’ve heard that number quite a bit. It will be interesting to see the big picture when the 2018 National Vital Statistics Reports (NVSR) are released.

Currently, the most recent is 2016 & it states deaths at 51,537, 8th leading cause of death for 1.9% of total deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr67/nvsr67_06.pdf. (Page 9)

That is, of course for “Influenza & Pneumonia”, with ICD-10 codes of J09-J18. I really wish it were clarified, as J09-J18 seem very broad:
ICD-10:

I’m curious about J15; as it includes Pneumonia due to staph, group B strep & Escherichia coli without diagnosed flu.

I’m also curious about J17; as it includes Pneumonia due to anthrax, gonorrhoea, typhoid fever & whooping cough, etc ... Also without having been diagnosed with the flu. Not to mention that some of those are vaccine preventative diseases & reportable/tracked as well. J17 also includes Pneumonia from parasites.

I’m just wondering how these are adjusted for in research; for both vaccine effectiveness studies & mortality rate data.
Influenza and pneumonia are combined because not everyone with influenza gets tested. As you are well aware the CDC estimates the number of flu deaths each season by collecting data on laboratory confirmed influenza from around the country and extrapolating to come up with a figure for the entire country. That is why it is called an estimate. Counting every single case of flu in the country would be enormously expensive. In addition, not everyone with flu sees a doctor.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0118369

There is no need to "adjust for" ICD 10 codes in research and vaccine effectiveness studies. Those would be done with methodologies that are specific to what is being studied.

Flu is included in J10.x and J11.x. It could be coded as J12.9 or J18.9 if not confirmed by testing. The other codes are not used for influenza.

Quote:
No ICD-10 fluent posters yet? Sorry, I'm prone to fixating on stuff but I'm just wondering; since flu deaths include codes: J09 to J18 ... If I have Anthrax & die from pneumonia ... Have I died from Anthrax Pneumonia or Secondary Pneumonia?

Will I then be counted as a flu death?
You would have died from anthrax pneumonia. If you had another organism in addition to anthrax you could also have secondary pneumonia, but since anthrax was the root cause of the illness it would be counted as an anthrax death. It would not be counted as a flu death.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Influenza and pneumonia are combined because not everyone with influenza gets tested. As you are well aware the CDC estimates the number of flu deaths each season by collecting data on laboratory confirmed influenza from around the country and extrapolating to come up with a figure for the entire country. That is why it is called an estimate. Counting every single case of flu in the country would be enormously expensive. In addition, not everyone with flu sees a doctor.

There is no need to "adjust for" ICD 10 codes in research and vaccine effectiveness studies. Those would be done with methodologies that are specific to what is being studied.
Yes, I know they are estimates (the mathematical formula used does include an adjustment, btw). My point; was that VPD's are reportable, that many VPD's can result in pneumonia & that pneumonia is a significant cause of death. Therefore, if not accounted for; mortality rates will be inaccurate, because only influenza is combined with the "J's".

Quote:
Flu is included in J10.x and J11.x. It could be coded as J12.9 or J18.9 if not confirmed by testing. The other codes are not used for influenza.
I think J09 was amended in 2009 to reflect the inclusion of Influenza A/H1N1 pandemic swine flu & I also think they are using J12-J18 & I don't know when that started but I picked 2012 to look at because it was after the 2009-2010 pandemic, yet prior to 2014 to include "final" data. The National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 65, Number 4, (06/30/2016); clearly shows a different format that states:

Quote:
Influenza & Pneumonia: .........(J09–J18) All ages: 55,227
Influenza: ............................(J09–J11) All ages: 4,605
Pneumonia ...........................(J12–J18) All ages: 50,622
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

Yeah. So, I cross-reference with an additional report, also from the CDC but it has deaths calculated by flu season & includes total deaths for perspective:

Quote:
2011–2012 Total deaths: 1,618,051 Influenza: 665 Pneumonia: 126,177
2012-2013 Total deaths: 1,718,093 Influenza: 4,541 Pneumonia:138,092
Also:
Quote:
Influenza and pneumonia deaths are defined as deaths with codes J09–J11 (any listed cause) and J12–18 (listed anywhere without influenza also listed), respectively, in the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health...-2008-2015.pdf

So I just can't see how J09-J18 can = 55,227 if J09-J11 = 4,605; unless they are estimating/factoring/considering/adjusting or whatever ... from J12-J18. At any rate; it's important for me to figure out what happened last year, mostly because it shouldn't have happened.

Who even cares about how they count, confirm or catastrophize flu, when diagnosing pneumonia can be done in about two minutes with a stethascope, followed up with a chest x-ray? When treating pneumonia in a first world country is usually so successful? What I really hope is that it didn't have aything to do with some strategy of Executive Order 13676 (U.S. National Action Plan for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria), because I actually had a provider tell me last year that she wasn't "allowed" to prescribe antibiotics under her own discretion.

Quote:
You would have died from anthrax pneumonia. If you had another organism in addition to anthrax you could also have secondary pneumonia, but since anthrax was the root cause of the illness it would be counted as an anthrax death. It would not be counted as a flu death.
Actually, I sort of picked a bad example because pneumonia caused directly from Anthrax is very rare & due to inhalation. As in U01.6 Terrorism involving biological weapons.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Yes, I know they are estimates (the mathematical formula used does include an adjustment, btw). My point; was that VPD's are reportable, that many VPD's can result in pneumonia & that pneumonia is a significant cause of death. Therefore, if not accounted for; mortality rates will be inaccurate, because only influenza is combined with the "J's".

I think J09 was amended in 2009 to reflect the inclusion of Influenza A/H1N1 pandemic swine flu & I also think they are using J12-J18 & I don't know when that started but I picked 2012 to look at because it was after the 2009-2010 pandemic, yet prior to 2014 to include "final" data. The National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 65, Number 4, (06/30/2016); clearly shows a different format that states:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

Yeah. So, I cross-reference with an additional report, also from the CDC but it has deaths calculated by flu season & includes total deaths for perspective:

Also:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health...-2008-2015.pdf

So I just can't see how J09-J18 can = 55,227 if J09-J11 = 4,605; unless they are estimating/factoring/considering/adjusting or whatever ... from J12-J18. At any rate; it's important for me to figure out what happened last year, mostly because it shouldn't have happened.

Who even cares about how they count, confirm or catastrophize flu, when diagnosing pneumonia can be done in about two minutes with a stethascope, followed up with a chest x-ray? When treating pneumonia in a first world country is usually so successful? What I really hope is that it didn't have aything to do with some strategy of Executive Order 13676 (U.S. National Action Plan for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria), because I actually had a provider tell me last year that she wasn't "allowed" to prescribe antibiotics under her own discretion.

Actually, I sort of picked a bad example because pneumonia caused directly from Anthrax is very rare & due to inhalation. As in U01.6 Terrorism involving biological weapons.
ICD 10 codes have nothing to do with how adult flu deaths are estimated. The are primarily billing codes. You have been given the link that describes the methodology used for the estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness