Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

It is arthritis for me. I saw it on the X-rays. I have wondered why an MRI is necessary. I assume they’ll get better images, and in 3-D.

I’ve had a partial MRI at the ER when I had diverticulitis. I was in pain, but not at all stressed about the test. But I was not inserted into a noisy tube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is arthritis for me. I saw it on the X-rays. I have wondered why an MRI is necessary. I assume they’ll get better images, and in 3-D.

I’ve had a partial MRI at the ER when I had diverticulitis. I was in pain, but not at all stressed about the test. But I was not inserted into a noisy tube!
Are your doctors pushing for an MRI? As I said I've had at least 2 for arthritis and never did a thing surgically and just continue as I do with managing my pain and walking. Some MD's do push for those pricey tests.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Stop and think! If an Ortho was operating in, say Africa, where there were no advanced imaging, or perhaps, no electricity, what would these Ortho's do without their "crutches"?
Accurate images are not so much a "crutch", as they are a confirmation of what the surgeon already strongly suspects the problem is. Accurate images allow them to verify a diagnosis and, in the case of surgery, have the best possible preparation for the anatomy involved.

[quote=silibran;54290607]It is arthritis for me. I saw it on the X-rays. I have wondered why an MRI is necessary. I assume they’ll get better images, and in 3-D.

/QUOTE]

Don't be afraid the ask the doctor exactly that. (P.S. I'm sorry I screwed up the quote capture).

Old 01-29-2019, 07:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,935 times
Quote:
As I understand it, the open MRI that I would drive to will produce a good image. I was cautioned that other, more local open MRI sites could NOT produce clear images. At this moment, I think I can somehow get through this. I have a few more questions about managing pain and possible sneezing. With me sneezing is always a possibility!

But I don’t even like elevators!
I have had a few on my back, and neck, and 1 of the head. Except for one of my knees, I've always had to go in head first. Keep your eyes closed, and just do not open them. You will be fine.

I think it is worth it if you want a decent image. My last one was of my neck less than a year ago. I too have arthritis down my entire right side.

As others here have said - the image quality will not be as good.

Arthritis in the spine CAN cause issues. It can decrease the space that the nerves have that pass thru the holes in the vertebrate. That is what they were concerned about for me in my neck

Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,935 times
Ya know what - I just thought of something that might help you. Call and see if if you can bring one of those eye masks that people use when they sleep. They are usually silk or satin covered. See if you can put that on as you lay in the bed - before they put you in the tube.

If you take a muscle relaxer before that, and use that - I'll bet you will be fine. That should not contain any metal, so it seems like it would not be a problem

Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Stop and think! If an Ortho was operating in, say Africa, where there were no advanced imaging, or perhaps, no electricity, what would these Ortho's do without their "crutches"?

When I had a Baker's Cyst, first the Ultrasound, then the X-ray, then the MRI, and then the Ortho wanted me to get an MRI with Contrast. I didn't! I made a beeline to Tijuana to the Angeles Hospital (a medical tourism hospital where everyone there must be fluent in English) and I lucked out and had an Ortho who had just relocated there from Kansas. Yes, an American Dr.! This is what he told me:

"Dr.'s own and operate a number of these "imaging factories" in the U.S. and they'll try and get you to have as many images as possible, providing the insurance will pay for it! For a Baker's Cyst, I only require an X-ray!"

This was one of the reasons for my moving to Tucson, more proximity to the medical sanity in Mexico! I worry, worry the day comes when they accept Medicare in Mexico!
STOP AND THINK! Which country has more healthy people with fewer health problems, Mexico or the US?

Seriously bad advice above. People die due to "medical tourism" every single year. If you're not sure WHY the doctor wants the test, ASK HIM. DON'T go running off to Mexico!

I had a gynocologist once who told me "For (whatever the procedure was, I forget what it was exactly but basically something had to be removed from the surface of my cervix), a cryocautery unit is UNNECESSARY! I use a CAUTERIZING GUN!"

And then he did. And he burned me in places that didn't need to be burned, as well as the pain of burning the whatever it was off my cervix. And he YELLED at me every time I flinched and whimpered because I was being a BABY. AND it turned out he was drunk at the time.

Doctors say all kinds of stupid things. Even American ones. ESPECIALLY American ones who can't cut it here and end up in Mexico. Mexico is the traditional haven for doctors who have lost their licenses here in the US. Possibly that has changed, one would hope so, but I'd trust a Mexican trained doctor in Mexico WAY more than I'd trust an American-trained one who ended up there.

But I'd WAY more trust the doctor I ALREADY HAVE here before I'd go running off to some 3rd world country for medical care.

ASK. It's way cheaper, not to mention far far SAFER, than running off to Mexico for god knows what reason.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
I don't love enclosed tight small spaces, either, but I didn't think my MRI was that bad. It may help if you keep your eyes closed so you aren't staring at the MRI ceiling right above your face, which may freak you out even more, and see if they'll let you listen to music, I know some places do. They may provide it for you. I didn't have music but I didn't mind. Tell the tech or another employee in advance that you're nervous. The form I filled out before they took me back asked if I was claustrophobic, I put yes, and when I went back there the guy was very nice and calm, explained everything to me, and had me keep my eyes closed while I was in there. He gave me a small thing (really not sure what it is) to squeeze to signal if I needed to get out, because the machine is so loud they may not be able to hear you if you try to talk, so the thing he put in my hand alerts him and he said he'd come right in if I squeezed it. I didn't need to call for him, everything was fine. I think all that that he did for me helped, though, because I was pretty anxious going in, I think he could even see it on my face. Idk if they'll do this for you, but he put a cushion under my lower legs to relieve the pressure on my back from lying flat on a hard surface for so long, so that may help.

Close your eyes, don't move, pretend you're in bed or somewhere that you like and you'll get through it. Other than being a tight space, there is really nothing scary about it if you think about it, nothing bad will happen to you. The tech has easy access to you and can take you out probably within 15 seconds.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
STOP AND THINK! Which country has more healthy people with fewer health problems, Mexico or the US?

Seriously bad advice above. People die due to "medical tourism" every single year. If you're not sure WHY the doctor wants the test, ASK HIM. DON'T go running off to Mexico!

I had a gynocologist once who told me "For (whatever the procedure was, I forget what it was exactly but basically something had to be removed from the surface of my cervix), a cryocautery unit is UNNECESSARY! I use a CAUTERIZING GUN!"

And then he did. And he burned me in places that didn't need to be burned, as well as the pain of burning the whatever it was off my cervix. And he YELLED at me every time I flinched and whimpered because I was being a BABY. AND it turned out he was drunk at the time.

Doctors say all kinds of stupid things. Even American ones. ESPECIALLY American ones who can't cut it here and end up in Mexico. Mexico is the traditional haven for doctors who have lost their licenses here in the US. Possibly that has changed, one would hope so, but I'd trust a Mexican trained doctor in Mexico WAY more than I'd trust an American-trained one who ended up there.

But I'd WAY more trust the doctor I ALREADY HAVE here before I'd go running off to some 3rd world country for medical care.

ASK. It's way cheaper, not to mention far far SAFER, than running off to Mexico for god knows what reason.
Well, I’m not “running off to Mexico” for anything medical.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 PM

I really do appreciate all of these comments. I do think I can get through this. I also appreciate the tips and suggestions.

My arthritis is in my lower back and I think I seeing the x ray was sort of upsetting. I’ve had back pain for years, but I never imagined it was so bad. The doc mentioned injections as a possibility, when after the MRI I have to see “ a back guy.” And, eventually I should have knee replacements. I’ve had knee pain for years too. And I saw on x-rays where bone meets bone.

I think all of this was a little much to take in. I think of myself as healthy, and suddenly I realized I am old and my bones are a mess.

All of your posts have been helpful, so thanks. If you guys can do this, I can too.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
I really do appreciate all of these comments. I do think I can get through this. I also appreciate the tips and suggestions.

My arthritis is in my lower back and I think I seeing the x ray was sort of upsetting. I’ve had back pain for years, but I never imagined it was so bad. The doc mentioned injections as a possibility, when after the MRI I have to see “ a back guy.” And, eventually I should have knee replacements. I’ve had knee pain for years too. And I saw on x-rays where bone meets bone.

I think all of this was a little much to take in. I think of myself as healthy, and suddenly I realized I am old and my bones are a mess.

All of your posts have been helpful, so thanks. If you guys can do this, I can too.
It's wear and tear and aging. I saw a D.O. for many yrs starting in my 30's and he did great work with his hands and his table in his office. He once said to me "you have the back of a 90 yr old" and this was in my 30's... The epidurals are heavy injections of cortisone and only break down and weaken the joints more. I never did one and I had scripts for a couple yrs back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness