Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Every unnatural drug has side effects, and they always will. They do not work with the body to help it heal. Pain drugs dull symptoms and do nothing to correct the cause.

Other kinds of drugs also have side effects, especially if used for a long time. And the interactions between different drugs are mostly unknown, because there are so many possible combinations most cannot be studied.

Drugs are now called medicine, but they are not medicine. They interfere with the body's natural processes and with its ability to heal itself.

The idea that drugs could be made without side effects is like the idea that there are cures for cancer that are kept hidden. Medical science does not have the kind of abilities you imagine it has.
1. Define "unnatural" drugs. LIFE is chemistry

2. Many medications absolutely "work with the body to help it heal" to claim otherwise is to be ignorant of how many medications work.

3. Pain drugs dull symptoms and do nothing to correct the cause....not to overstate the obvious...but Yeah....and???

If someone has a broken leg and has pain, the fracture will eventually heal and the pain will go away.
There is no "magic natural medicine" that will heal broken bones faster....so while waiting for the fracture to heal should we deny patients medications that "dull the symptoms"????

Lets just go back to the Middle Ages

4. Your "go to position" always seems to be "most things are unknown"....actually most drug drug interactions are pretty "well known" even if YOU don't seem to "know this"....ask Mike1003

5. Drugs are called medicine because that is what they are...

Definition of medicine
1a : a substance or preparation used in treating disease. eg
cough medicine

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/medicine

Maybe you have some other "special definition" you wish to share???

As for "medicines" interfering with the "body's natural processes and ability to heal itself". WRONG again

6. The "body" does not have the magical abilities to heal ITSELF that you seem to think it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Rush Limbaugh abused....something he was prescribed and got hooked on. (Pain killers?) He went deaf. Kinda bad for a radio talk show host. He also had the implants - or something that restored his hearing.
He discussed all this on his show. He was ashamed and did not make light of it at all.
I don't think it's that uncommon.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But opiates as a whole aren't "unnatural" - what can be more natural than a beautiful poppy?

For that matter, so is cocaine, so is alcohol, so is aspirin - natural that is.

So I don't think it is the "naturalness" or "unnaturalness" that is the defining factor of whether something has side effects.
Vicodin contains acetaminophen which has been associated with hearing loss. So I suspect the problem the OP brought up is due not to the opiate, but to the acetaminophen.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But opiates as a whole aren't "unnatural" - what can be more natural than a beautiful poppy?

For that matter, so is cocaine, so is alcohol, so is aspirin - natural that is.

So I don't think it is the "naturalness" or "unnaturalness" that is the defining factor of whether something has side effects.
Natural vs unnatural is a lame argument. We can synthesize drugs to act exactly the way something 'natural' would and our bodies do not know the difference.

I guess we should forgo pain pills and just take opium instead.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Natural vs unnatural is a lame argument. We can synthesize drugs to act exactly the way something 'natural' would and our bodies do not know the difference.

I guess we should forgo pain pills and just take opium instead.
Thats what they did years ago, opium would be more effective for pain, but addiction potential would be crazy high.

Btw, Vicodin is very low on the painkiller chart in terms of strength, just to put it into perspective, on the street, Vicodin ES 7.5 mgs go for about $2. each, in other words, they are not that sought after.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats what they did years ago, opium would be more effective for pain, but addiction potential would be crazy high.

Btw, Vicodin is very low on the painkiller chart in terms of strength, just to put it into perspective, on the street, Vicodin ES 7.5 mgs go for about $2. each, in other words, they are not that sought after.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. And Vicodin can be very effective for some pain. And we are not trying to compare street drugs to doctor prescribed drugs.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. And Vicodin can be very effective for some pain. And we are not trying to compare street drugs to doctor prescribed drugs.
Many times the drug is the same, you don't have the script in your hand when you're making the purchase.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I think the key here is abuse. There’s so much hysteria out there that many forget that only about 5% (or less) of patients who are prescribed opiates get addicted. If you take it as prescribed for the duration you need it then you’re not going to wind up deaf. If you don’t or buy it on the streets that’s a different story. Just wanted to chime in so that no one thinks taking Vicodin after a surgery is going to make them deaf.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I think the key here is abuse. There’s so much hysteria out there that many forget that only about 5% (or less) of patients who are prescribed opiates get addicted. If you take it as prescribed for the duration you need it then you’re not going to wind up deaf. If you don’t or buy it on the streets that’s a different story. Just wanted to chime in so that no one thinks taking Vicodin after a surgery is going to make them deaf.
This......but some don't want to hear it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I made sure the header I posted had the word Abuse in it as it came from the House Clinic link. The person who went thru the totally deafness did in fact abuse the drug, she got so addicted to it and I guess could not gain control of her life...and as I said she went to a rehab for months...A hard hard lesson but she lived and it was touch and go as there were other meds involved and she did end up in hospital in ICU as well. Today she does all in her power to steer clear of any pharma drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness