Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:07 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
200mg daily for sure and some days take more. Some days take a little less and I have purchased various doses over many yrs and even have a bottle of 400mg capsules and some days take 1. Depending on bodyweight has a huge bearing too, gotta take enough for the weight. Starting out I would think it's good to buy 100mg caps and work with them.

This antioxidant keeps me in a positive mindset against the horrible memory loss issues in our population. My insurance policy. Not LTC insurance.

Know that those who take Pharma blood thinners cannot do both.
Thank you so much for the information, Jamin! I am female, 5'9 and about 122lbs. so rather lean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 11:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Thank you so much for the information, Jamin! I am female, 5'9 and about 122lbs. so rather lean.
I would think 100mg daily would be a good maintenance dose for you. If you have a specific issue like horrid allergies or other issue, take a loading dose for a week or so or more, double it to 200mg.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL died 2 years ago from Frontal Lobe Dementia. Amyloid Plaque? We were told that her brain cells were disintergrating, and would eventually spread to the rest of her brain and involuntary brain functioning. This would cause her to die.

She was given medication to just slow the progression to other brain cells, but eventually she would still die. She passed 5 years from first being diagnosed.

Is this the same medication being talked about? It is not a cure.
My wife,83,is now in total short term memory loss.
Doctor prescribed Donepezil Hcl Tabs,I would like to know if they are of any worth or your experience with this medicine.I know there is no magic bullet but do not like unnessary chemicals in the body.
According to Google,mixed reviews,brand name Aricept.It has been around for some time,says slow progression of Amyloid Plaque??

Old 10-29-2019, 03:47 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times
Thank you, Jamin! I will try to get my husband to start it as well because he has high blood pressure and cholesterol and I was reading that it may help that, too. But he has to stop his meds before we try it.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My wife,83,is now in total short term memory loss.
Doctor prescribed Donepezil Hcl Tabs,I would like to know if they are of any worth or your experience with this medicine.I know there is no magic bullet but do not like unnessary chemicals in the body.
According to Google,mixed reviews,brand name Aricept.It has been around for some time,says slow progression of Amyloid Plaque??
My mom was on aricept for a while. It did nothing noticeable for her and suppressed her blood pressure (along with some other drugs that were doing the same) so we took her off it. I’m sorry you and your wife are going through this.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:07 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There is a lot of interest and new investment in a company that our FDA has encouraged to apply to get their drug licensed: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-reviving-hope. How this all works out for a company that failed the clinical trials we will have to wait and see. But there might be a little ray of hope? It is supposedly not a drug to cure the disease; but one to slow down its progression.
They continued to collect data beyond the point when they declared the drug had failed. It probably doesn't make any difference.

Anything that helps blood flow will help clearing of the amyloid-beta plaque. Coffee is the most well-known. Many drugs and supplements also act as blood thinners. You probably have to start in your 40's or 50's

Pharmaceutical companies have been giving up on amyloid-plaque drugs.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/04/30/...ng-alzheimers/

Last edited by lchoro; 10-29-2019 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-29-2019, 11:13 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Thank you, Jamin! I will try to get my husband to start it as well because he has high blood pressure and cholesterol and I was reading that it may help that, too. But he has to stop his meds before we try it.
Why stop meds? I take BP meds and and never stopped them taking grape seed ex and for the cholesterol issues, there are other sides of the issue on the importance of cholesterol and how we're so instilled in fear on it. Our bodies need it and for sure our brains.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
My mom was on aricept for a while. It did nothing noticeable for her and suppressed her blood pressure (along with some other drugs that were doing the same) so we took her off it. I’m sorry you and your wife are going through this.
Her BP has not changed 130-134,she does drose off a lot and do wake her in morning,this is first month,was there any withdrawal problems from aricept.
thank you for response.
I guess it is shooting in the dark as far as worth.I have to be careful how I handle her mentally.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:14 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They continued to collect data beyond the point when they declared the drug had failed. It probably doesn't make any difference.

Anything that helps blood flow will help clearing of the amyloid-beta plaque. Coffee is the most well-known. Many drugs and supplements also act as blood thinners. You probably have to start in your 40's or 50's

Pharmaceutical companies have been giving up on amyloid-plaque drugs.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/04/30/...ng-alzheimers/
That is a good article but I have to wonder why our FDA would encourage a company that has taken that path? Biogen Inc. drug specifically targets the amyloid-beta plague; so that is confusing. But then we are talking about a disease that is confusing! Biogen Inc. stocks have again soared since the FDA encouragement; but not all investors know what they are investing in; so we will have to wait and see.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:32 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Biogen also excluded high dose in original study data since it causes swelling of the brain. I would be very worried about brain damage more severe than Alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness