Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Hopefully your doctor will order a blood panel to see what is really going on. I would just wait for the results before spending money on vitamins and supplements. You can do that after when you can take the proper ones.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
OP, I'm a 35 year old man, and I have pretty much what you describe in your OP.

My doctor diagnosed me as hypothyroid a couple of years ago, and I take one pill a day for it (in the morning). I also supplement with several other things including Vitamin D and B-Complex at his suggestion. Since I've started all of this, I feel "better", but not "better". Meaning, I still feel those ways, but not as bad as I did before that appointment.

I can easily sleep 10+ hours per day and feel like I need more after I get up. I feel best after the sun goes down, and feel mostly well as long as it's dark. I'm more sensitive to cold than I've ever been, but the heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when I was younger. I feel worst during the afternoon, say from 1pm until 5pm, and especially when I drive during that block of time, I feel like I can't focus, and feel a combination of sad/depressed and ADD (it's hard to explain). I've also gained about 30 lbs over the last 4 years (I'm huge anyway, 6'7").

I live at altitude, in a VERY SUNNY place overall, but the clouds tend to come in....you guessed it, in the afternoon. I have also wondered if the altitude might play a role (in my case). For example, when I visited Phoenix last summer, I had none of these symptoms. I could have jumped up in the air and clapped my feet together. And to be honest, in my case, I don't really notice the symptoms anywhere else that's not high, and if I do, they are comparatively mild. Also, I don't necessarily think it's the cloudiness (I spent a month in Seattle at the end of last year and felt fine the entire time), but I have found a new affinity for bright sunshine (that I didn't have before).

I've found that exercising (during any time of the day) makes me feel a ton better, the symptoms mostly go away on days I do. Even just walking.

You should have your thyroid levels tested again. It's not uncommon for the medication to be adjusted several times before the right dosage is found. My mother has been hypo for over 30 years, it took a bit for them to find not only the correct dosage but the med that would work best for her.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
FIRST - I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I have that covered.

Here are my symptoms -

1. Daytime sleep. Sometimes 12 or more hours per day.

2. Most alert in the evening.

3 Lately, I've been awakening at around 3 to 4.

4. When I am awake at night, I am lethargic and almost limp. I have no energy. I could sleep more.

5. The cold really effects me.

6. By March, I am usually worn out by winter.

7. It's very cloudy wear I live. Sunshine is rare in winter.

8. I am also sensitive to heat. When everyone else seems to think the temperature - inside or out is tolerable, I am either HOT or COLD.

9. I want to wake up - I try to fight daytime sleeping, but I almost feel that waking up is impossible.

10 This has been getting worse and getting more debilitating since late January.

Any vitamins to recommend? The only thing I can think of is terrifying.

Thank you.
Endocrine issues, that's what this says to me. A circadian rhythm, that's way off, possibly pointing to your daily cortisol "rhythm" being off. Thyroid may be tied in.

I would recommend you find a practitioner, whether MD, nurse, or Naturopathic Doc, who administers the Adrenal Stress Index Test, a saliva collection test that tracks your 24-hr. cortisol output. The test has an option for including certain other hormones, too. Finding someone on insurance who administers the test is a bit challenging, but they're out there. Otherwise, you may have to pay out-of-pocket for an off-insurance MD who uses the test, or a Naturopath. Your primary care doc can order a thyroid test, and whatever other blood workup s/he thinks you need. You could request s/he add to the blood draw test list: pregnenolone, which is an adrenal hormone precursor. If that's low, it's an indication your adrenal output is off (the cortisol issue I mentioned). They can also include an Epstein-Barr check to the test. (The sign of "mono", a fatigue illness.) Count David mentioned Vitamin B12; that's a good one to check, as well.

How old are you? And have you noticed any tick activity in the last months?

If it's an endocrine issue, vitamins & supplements from the vitamin store won't help you, so wait until you get tested, and proceed from there.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-26-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Sheena, let us know how you did at the doctor. Can understand how scared and upset you are; hope you got answers/help.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have long thought that I could suffer from SADD. Does SADD get worse as you get older? Generally, I have noticed that I am worse in LATE winter, early Spring. Is that part of SADD?

Short of moving to FL (I am thinking about it) what can I do now? Yes. I get depressed in the winter. But the hypersomnolense is new this year. When I finally awaken, I feel even more depressed.

Does this sound like the early stages of any deadly illness to anyone?
No. Nothing that isn't fixable.

Prior to these symptoms, were you under any prolonged stress, or were there any sudden stressful events? (You or husband lost a job or started a new job, marriage or divorce, home relocation, death of a close loved one, victim of crime, etc.)? Has the quality of your sleep worsened (it sounds like it)? Have you noticed any sleep apnea, compared to before? Waking up gasping for breath? Do you find it hard to pick yourself up out of bed in the mornings? Like, literally struggling to pick yourself up, or do you have to stay in bad longer in the morning, to gather the strength to get up?

Old 03-26-2019, 03:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You might have a related vitamin deficiency like vitamin D due to lack of sun. By early spring you would feel even worse because you still haven’t gotten any sunlight.

Another option is a thyroid problem, as cold sensitivity and lethargy are signs of hashimlto’s or hypothyroid. Luckily that is easy to manage.

These are the first two things that popped into my head reading the symptoms.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:49 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
It could also be Mononucleosis.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 AM

265 posts, read 686,769 times
Hi, I have many of these and I have nerve damage also from my diabetes. Let's hope you or anyone here don't get that. Too progressive and comes normally a 10-15 yr less of your lease on life. You all take care of yourselves!!. peace out. Jim

Old 03-27-2019, 01:39 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times
I have been following this thread and really have nothing new to add that hasn't already been advised, plus I have learned several new things as well. In any case, I'm hoping Sheena ends up with answers to her issues and the solutions or remedies are not difficult for her.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Hello everyone. I'm so sorry it took me a while to get back to you, and I am overwhelmed by the support, encouragement, and well wishes of people on City Data. I especially want to thank those of you who took the time to send me a personal message containing a word of encouragement.

(I sound as though I just received an Oscar, but I really am touched. I had you tell you all.)

My appointment was yesterday at 3, but I did not get out until after 5PM. My sweet husband knew that I was tired and suggested dinner out. We got home a little late, I checked CD, but I was literally too tired to write a response and I thought, since there is a lab on premises, so I was hopeful that I would have some news. I just returned from having a mani-pedi, and I called to see if any results were in - I know wishful thinking on my part - but they are not. The receptionist told me to call Friday.

I thought I detected something in her voice when she realized that I was the "new patient" - but I realize that my imagination may be working overtime right now.

Anyway, I liked the Dr. It was my first time seeing him. While I have lived in this area for several years, I did not have a primary care physician. I had one for two years but he stopped taking my insurance for some reason. I've tried to find someone but many were not taking new patients at this time. I found one to be slightly crazy and his office was unfriendly.

So, if anything came out of this, we finally have a primary care physician.

I told him what I told you all. He was a good listener, and he asked relevant questions. He also took input.

He told me what tests he was running at at my suggestion, he is checking my vitamin D levels.

Also, unrelated to the problem of insomnia and lethargy, I have a chronic problem with post-nasal drip that, while it sounds insignificant, has really had a negative impact on my life. I have asthma, and it is part of my respiratory problems, but not the cause. He gave me a chest x-ray and checked my lung capacity. The x-ray results were unremarkable but my lungs volume is not what it should be.

To that end, he changed my inhaler to Symbicort, two puffs, twice daily; and he added Singular.

As to my chief complaint, he would not speculate until the test results were in.

He believed all self reported previous diagnoses - fribro, chronic fatigue syndrome etc. He also said that this particular area is very bad for people with SAD. He added that we experience fewer sunny days than Seattle. Something I did not know before.

Additionally, he said that North East OH is a very bad location for allergies, and asked if they have gotten worse since moving here, and they have.

Which could also be a function of getting older.

So, I am waiting until Friday and trying to stay calm. Which is very difficult, under the circumstances.

Oh, my vital signs were all normal, weight good, but I have eczema, which I just thought was dry winter skin. He gave me Triamcindone cream for that.

On the good side - we actually have a sunny day and I was able to take a walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness