Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: No one knows what it is and everyone is guessing. I never had issues with my hands but arthritis did set into my right thumb area over 30 yrs ago...I remember it well.

With aging everything changes and since the advanced tech world hands are worse. People who used their hands a lot in their professions, hairdressers as an example, ended up with issues.

Be more aware when sleeping the placement of hands, arms. WOrks in my body at almost 81.
I remember my mom was always opening and closing her hands as she had OA and years of making guilts did more damage...all the repetitive work.

Make changes, be aware.
At least other people's "guesses" make sense....

The OP stated her fingers are tingly and numb....that's not arthritis......

Carpal tunnel syndrome which is the most common cause of numbness and tingling in the fingers is not something to ignore and just hope it goes away....there are potential irreversible consequences to "hoping for the best" including permanent nerve damage and muscle atrophy

There are also a number of other possible causes of numbness and tingling of the fingers including cervical radiculopathy, metabolic neuropathy such as diabetes, vasculitis, other peripheral compressive neuropathies such as ulnar neuropathy or radial nerve palsy, drug side effects, etc......osteoarthritis of the hands would not be one of the causes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
At least other people's "guesses" make sense....

The OP stated her fingers are tingly and numb....that's not arthritis......

Carpal tunnel syndrome which is the most common cause of numbness and tingling in the fingers is not something to ignore and just hope it goes away....there are potential irreversible consequences to "hoping for the best" including permanent nerve damage and muscle atrophy

There are also a number of other possible causes of numbness and tingling of the fingers including cervical radiculopathy, metabolic neuropathy such as diabetes, vasculitis, other peripheral compressive neuropathies such as ulnar neuropathy or radial nerve palsy, drug side effects, etc......osteoarthritis of the hands would not be one of the causes.....
One can get issues like tingling from arthritis. Our bodies can do so many strange things and to discount other's opinions!!!!! Your comments are rude.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
One can get issues like tingling from arthritis. Our bodies can do so many strange things and to discount other's opinions!!!!! Your comments are rude.
That person isn't even a medical doctor, just pretends to be. Very ignorant of some well known health facts.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That person isn't even a medical doctor, just pretends to be. Very ignorant of some well known health facts.
I hear you loud and clear. I have opinions on this subject as I experience it myself and deal with too much arthritis bodywide. Arthritis rears it's ugly head in many ways and burning and tingling are a couple.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
I hear you loud and clear. I have opinions on this subject as I experience it myself and deal with too much arthritis bodywide. Arthritis rears it's ugly head in many ways and burning and tingling are a couple.
And any time I experienced numbness it was related to posture and alignment. We can trust our own experiences. And we can respect the experiences of others.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:00 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So some of the things we know about carpal tunnel syndrome (again assuming that's what you have)

-It is more common as we get older some of this has to do with carpal arthritis and inflammation within the tunnel

-It is more common in women than in men

-There is definitely an association between diabetes and obesity among other medical conditions with development of carpal tunnel syndrome

Driving is typically associated with increased pressure on the median nerve so very common for folks with carpal tunnel syndrome to have worsening symptoms with driving and repetitive tasks

Diagnosis is typically made through combination of history, physical exam and often nerve testing/EMG for definitive diagnosis to rule out other causes such as cervical radiculopathy (pinched nerve in neck) or metabolic causes of neuropathy such as diabetes
I appreciate everyone's input. I know nothing about carpet tunnel or other possible causes.

It is interesting you mention arthiritis and inflammation. I had/have been having arthritis? like pains in my hand, but most my left. I asked the Dr., during routine blood work to check for inflammation and there some. Not sure how much or what kind.

Pinched neck nerve? Wouldn't that normally just be one side or the other? It is mostly my right but also my left, just not as often or as bad.

Got a Dr. appt to discuss - can't get me in for a month!

Should I get some wrist thingies? Take some low dose aspirin for inflammation? Is where I am now irreversible? My right thumb and forefinger are almost always just a little but numb feeling. (This has all gotton worse sort of fast)

Last edited by Giesela; 04-10-2019 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,803 times
Is your appointment with your regular doctor or an ortho? I would hate for you to wait a month to see him and then be told you need a referral to an ortho and be further delayed. If you can cut to the chase and go straight to an ortho, do that, or at least schedule an appointment if you can.

I am not a doctor, but if I were dealing with what you are, based on my own experience with these symptoms and various injuries with my kids, I'd try the splint, ibuprofen or naproxen (if your stomach can tolerate) and ice...don't forget plain old ice, which will reduce inflammation and pain. I would ice for 20 minutes throughout the day, but especially last thing before bed, then splint and rest. If you do this for the few weeks between now and your doctor appointment, you can then tell the doctor what you have tried and whether it worked.

You may want to get your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism is a known risk factor for carpal tunnel. Since you are having issues on both sides and you mentioned the weight/pre-diabetes issue, that would be more reason to make sure the doctor checks for an underlying thyroid issue while treating the immediate symptoms.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
I get that in my left hand. Back of my arm aches and then eventually after a few minutes thumb, index and middle finger all go numb. It appeared about a month after I fell over backwards and the back of my neck struck a landscape edging (big 4x4 log). Went to the doctor and he asked if it was only those three fingers. I said yes and he said I wrenched my spine and have a pinched nerve in my neck that leads down my arm.

Interestingly it took about a month after the fall to show up. But am convinced that started this. If I lay down with my arm by my side the numbness goes away. If I sit up with my arm by my side the numbness comes back. Something about laying down is taking the pressure off my neck and that nerve that feeds those three fingers.

Went to a chiropractor after that but nothing worked.

It has diminished some since last year... but still there.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Sounds like Carpal Tunnel to me. I had it for years. The splints at night helped A LOT! NSAIDS every now and then, but eventually it got so bothersome that I ended up having surgery to release the nerve. Best decision I ever made and I regretted waiting so long - but it is what it is.

It's been over 10 years since I had the surgery (on both hands, not at the same time) and I have had no problems at all.

Also, have your doc check your thyroid levels.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I know nothing about carpet tunnel or other possible causes.

It is interesting you mention arthiritis and inflammation. I had/have been having arthritis? like pains in my hand, but most my left. I asked the Dr., during routine blood work to check for inflammation and there some. Not sure how much or what kind.

Pinched neck nerve? Wouldn't that normally just be one side or the other? It is mostly my right but also my left, just not as often or as bad.

Got a Dr. appt to discuss - can't get me in for a month!

Should I get some wrist thingies? Take some low dose aspirin for inflammation? Is where I am now irreversible? My right thumb and forefinger are almost always just a little but numb feeling. (This has all gotton worse sort of fast)
Arthritis issues can come on fast and I'm seeing it in two friends who are dealing with OA issues now for a few years, I've been having issues for 60 some yrs, and for me advancing to where I had a hip replacement which caused more issues and mostly right side of body where hip was replaced.

I have seen some with those wrist supports, and I have not gone that route. I work on being very aware and using my hands properly.

I would take some anti inflammatory otc pain stuff with food on stomach for sure, why not.

Don't panic and keep moving the hands, opening and closing and don't let them stiffen up big time,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness