Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 11:32 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,007,109 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
As someone who has had RA for 18 months, though it took a few months to get the definitive diagnosis at age 49, all research suggests not much has changed in the last few decades.
Currently I am on Methotrexate, Plaquenil and Folate supplements, and was initially on Prednisone for several months until early this year.
I also had Cortisone injections into the left shoulder and left hip last year for concurrent bursitis.
Currently now just take NSAIDs periodically as needed.
The course and progression of this autoimmune disease still seems to be fairly universal.
I am strongly seropositive for Rheumatoid Factor and Anti-CCP proteins, inflammatory markers positive.
Just curious as to how others have seen their disease progress, or know of others with the disease, and/or reduced to low disease activity or even remission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 07:25 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,183 times
Arthritis is more like a 'symptom' of your illness which is autoimmunity. Doctors are trained to suppress your symptoms, addressing the parts of the body the immune system is attacking rather than trying to treat the underlying causes of it.

Consider addressing the possible causes: hidden allergens or sensitivities, inflammatory diet, low grade infections, environmental toxins and stress. Typically, most or all of these underlying factors are present in every autoimmune disease. Successfully addressing them improves your condition with good chance of remission. Biologic drugs can give you a 'remission' or absence of symptoms, but eventually you may develop antibodies that counteract the drug causing relapse. Additionally, with one autoimmune disease, you are at greater risk of developing more autoimmune diseases by not successfully addressing the underlying factors.

Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2019, 07:34 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,007,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Arthritis is more like a 'symptom' of your illness which is autoimmunity. Doctors are trained to suppress your symptoms, addressing the parts of the body the immune system is attacking rather than trying to treat the underlying causes of it.

Consider addressing the possible causes: hidden allergens or sensitivities, inflammatory diet, low grade infections, environmental toxins and stress. Typically, most or all of these underlying factors are present in every autoimmune disease. Successfully addressing them improves your condition with good chance of remission. Biologic drugs can give you a 'remission' or absence of symptoms, but eventually you may develop antibodies that counteract the drug causing relapse. Additionally, with one autoimmune disease, you are at greater risk of developing more autoimmune diseases by not successfully addressing the underlying factors.

Best of luck!
Thanks for your advice.
I have not worried about diet or toxins or other causes etc to date, as the "horse has bolted", ie I already have the disease.
The treatments so far are aimed at reducing the activity of the immune system.
Will definitely try to address these other things though.
Cheers Derek41

Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Huge progress has been made with biologics, and they really work wonders.

I have psoriatic RA, and it's nice and aggressive.... but biologics make me almost symptom free.

There has never been any correlation between "toxins", inflammatory diet or any of that with autoimmune disease, but it can't hurt to try.

I've done omission diets, been allergy tested, went gluten free, addressed my gut biomes, herbs and supplements, you name it, I probably tried it. And still my disease progressed from the original psoriasis when I was around 18 to full blown RA around 40-45.

I started on Enbrel and it worked for about 5 years, and now I'm on Taltz, which is working very well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,589,849 times
My mom has had RA for 40 years (diagnosed, probably before that) and is still going strong on biologics. She leads a very healthy lifestyle with exercise, nutrition and adequate sleep. I think that is key to managing any chronic condition as well as overall health in general. It’s not a death sentence by any means so revel in that and do your research to determine the best way to proceed for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness