Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?

Yes, because if you eat healthy it will put doctors out of business. So no supplements or fruits or vegetables for you!

People forget doctors and the medical industry are a giant business. If everyone was healthy they would literally be out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Yes, because if you eat healthy it will put doctors out of business. So no supplements or fruits or vegetables for you!

People forget doctors and the medical industry are a giant business. If everyone was healthy they would literally be out of business.
Well, to be fair, the large amount of fruits and vegetables I eat didn't prevent me from getting a skin cancer. Our family has an extremely strong tendency toward BCC (basal cell carcinoma)...both parents and all seven of us siblings, I'm the youngest, have had multiple BCCs. By the way, the ones who go out in the sun a lot don't seem to have more or less than the ones who rarely go out in the sun.

I'm pretty sure the derm. was concerned about bleeding issues during surgery and not overall health. But be that as it may, I'm going straight back to healthy eating as soon as it is over.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, the large amount of fruits and vegetables I eat didn't prevent me from getting a skin cancer. Our family has an extremely strong tendency toward BCC (basal cell carcinoma)...both parents and all seven of us siblings, I'm the youngest, have had multiple BCCs. By the way, the ones who go out in the sun a lot don't seem to have more or less than the ones who rarely go out in the sun.

I'm pretty sure the derm. was concerned about bleeding issues during surgery and not overall health. But be that as it may, I'm going straight back to healthy eating as soon as it is over.

Do you take astaxanthin and/or krill oil, and do you wear sunscreen? In my opinion sunscreen actually contributes to skin cancer. It basically blocks D3 from being formed properly and then you add in all of the toxic ingredients found in sunscreens as well. Not a good combination.

I would be interested in a research study (it will never happen because of big pharma and the sunscreen industry) that compares skin cancer rates between the following groups:

1. Never wear sunscreen with high sun exposure.

2. High sun exposure and always wear sunscreen.

3. Little sun exposure but always wear sunscreen when in the sun.

4. Little sun exposure, never wear sunscreen, but burn easily when in the sun because of so little exposure.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Do you take astaxanthin and/or krill oil, and do you wear sunscreen? In my opinion sunscreen actually contributes to skin cancer. It basically blocks D3 from being formed properly and then you add in all of the toxic ingredients found in sunscreens as well. Not a good combination.

I would be interested in a research study (it will never happen because of big pharma and the sunscreen industry) that compares skin cancer rates between the following groups:

4. Little sun exposure, never wear sunscreen, but burn easily when in the sun because of so little exposure.
There was a thread on here last year about the best and least toxic sunscreens. It appears that research is being done to find out which ones are least toxic.

I'd be interested in the the results of the study you mention too. I've had two skin cancers and have been told to always use sunscreen, so I do. And vitamin D is in my calcium that I take every day so I always test okay for vitamin D.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:

I live in Southern California and am out in the sun a lot, and to be honest, I am not at all good about wearing sunscreen. I went many years without wearing it at all. Now I try to remember to rub a little on my face if I know I am going to be outside, but often I forget.

My D3 level was tested last month and was 48.

I have two brothers who live in northwest Washington and are pasty white because they rarely see the sun, they never use sunscreen, and they've both had skin cancers. One sister has faithfully put on sunscreen every day for many years and she's had three BCCs. I rarely use suncreen, am in the sun a lot, and have had two now. I honestly think it is somehow genetic for our family because there doesn't seem to be any other common factor. It would be nice if there was some magic way to prevent it other than having the dermatologist freeze off tiny spots as soon as they appear. My current BCC is under my eyebrow and I just didn't notice it until too late.

Last edited by saibot; 07-10-2019 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?
Like the other people who responded to you, I don't understand this either and have never heard of a doctor saying this to anyone. Why didn't you ask him why? And since your surgery isn't until next week, you could still call the office and ask why this was said to you.

If I was told this, I would want to know why. If you find out, please come back to this thread and let us know the answer.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Like the other people who responded to you, I don't understand this either and have never heard of a doctor saying this to anyone. Why didn't you ask him why? And since your surgery isn't until next week, you could still call the office and ask why this was said to you.

If I was told this, I would want to know why. If you find out, please come back to this thread and let us know the answer.
He really stressed the no vitamins, supplements, and herbs. The fruits and vegetables was a throwaway comment as he was leaving the room. At the moment, I thought he was joking, but after getting home, I started thinking maybe he was serious. Jamin's link does mention some fruits and vegetables which I eat every day (broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, cherries) which act as potential blood thinners.

Definitely, if I find out more, I'll update.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Quote:

Vitamin K can cause excessive bleeding, As for all fruits and vegetables...sounds like a bit much

Could you call Derm office and just ask for specific ones?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Without getting into a friend's history of BCC and radiation, good lord what a mess this woman went thru for years. She's of Swedish heritage and spent many days on cruises and I don't know if she used sun screens or not and she was born and raised in Santa Monica so exposed to sun all her life. She's probably 87 or so now.

I spent a lot of time in the sun but a little later in life and I'm half olive oil decent, so I never had BCC issues and my skin is pretty remarkable from all the sun.

Well, my friend found later after so much radiation on her legs this info and thought I'd share it here;

https://earthclinic.com/ailments/bas...medies/iodine/

I've used tincture on a couple moles and they eventually dried up and fell off.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Vitamin K can cause excessive bleeding, As for all fruits and vegetables...sounds like a bit much

Could you call Derm office and just ask for specific ones?
You have that backwards, Vitamin K doesn't CAUSE bleeding.....Vitamin K is essential for clotting factors and is used as a reversal agent for Warfarin/Coumadin

Vitamin K DEFICIENCY leads to excessive bleeding....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness