Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,233,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Physical therapist here. Of the hundreds of TKR patients I have worked with, only one had complications. So the odds are very much in your favor as long as you have a good surgeon and follow the post-op procedures carefully.
As a physical therapist, do you find differences in knee procedures affecting the speediness of the therapy?
What I mean is, after my second knee replacement, I woke up with the chiller and a knee brace after surgery. From the get go, my leg was already flat, and stayed that way, so my PT was shorter (just needed to work on the bend). On my first knee, the brace was not placed right after surgery, and so the therapy to get the leg flat took a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:05 AM

674 posts, read 611,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a physical therapist, do you find differences in knee procedures affecting the speediness of the therapy?
I assume by "knee procedures" you mean "rehab procedures" and not "surgical procedures" (because there are several approaches that a surgeon can use to get to your knee joint, each with its pros and cons). I don't think the rehab procedures make a lot of difference. In my opinion, how quickly you recover depends more on your comorbidities, BMI, previous fitness and physical activity level and how diligent you are with the rehab exercises.

Different hospital systems also seem to have different favorite procedures; one that I used to work with a few years ago favored a "continuous passive motion" machine (CPM) and lent one to every TKR patient. BTW there is some debate as to the effectiveness of those things. The current hospital system I am with, favors Polar Care units and gives one out to every TKR case.

In my experience, walking frequently (while observing any weight-bearing precautions stipulated by your surgeon, and stopping before you have pain) is one of the best things you can do for your new knee. And work on bending and straightening it, since it's very difficult to go through life with a stiff leg.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,233,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I assume by "knee procedures" you mean "rehab procedures" and not "surgical procedures" (because there are several approaches that a surgeon can use to get to your knee joint, each with its pros and cons). I don't think the rehab procedures make a lot of difference. In my opinion, how quickly you recover depends more on your comorbidities, BMI, previous fitness and physical activity level and how diligent you are with the rehab exercises.

Different hospital systems also seem to have different favorite procedures; one that I used to work with a few years ago favored a "continuous passive motion" machine (CPM) and lent one to every TKR patient. BTW there is some debate as to the effectiveness of those things. The current hospital system I am with, favors Polar Care units and gives one out to every TKR case.

In my experience, walking frequently (while observing any weight-bearing precautions stipulated by your surgeon, and stopping before you have pain) is one of the best things you can do for your new knee. And work on bending and straightening it, since it's very difficult to go through life with a stiff leg.
Thanks, I specifically was talking about knee replacement surgery. Although the same surgeon did both my knees, my recovery was quicker on the one that was cranked down straight with a brace before I woke from surgery. It cut my PT in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness