Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
One of the ways either S Korea or Thailand prevented the virus from decimating the country (they share boundaries w/China) was the govt got enough masks for every person in the country! They did other things, too. They were ready, since they had had to deal w/SARS and other viruses. As a result of that & other steps they took, Thailand had few cases, and S. Korea went from a high virus growth rate to dropping off the top 10 list altogether! Two success stories.

(They did other things, also, like getting enough tests for everyone in the country, isolating the area where the virus was growing, ventilators & PPE for healthcare workers, etc.)
You get it. I bought 10 KN95's from a hardware store recently. They were around $4.50 a piece. They are the Chinese equivalent to our N95. I've been looking on line for Korean KMOEL or European FFP2 masks. Australia makes P2 and Japan makes D5. All are better than surgical masks or bandana's.

I prefer to wear my N95, but they don't last forever and we only have 3. The KN95's are our back ups. I'm hoping Home Depot stocks the N95's again before fall. I'll be buying some for the second wave of this next fall.

Our response to this is still third world. Masks should have been required in January. Taiwan. Less than 500 cases with zero new cases and 6 deaths. That response should have been our response here like it was in 2003 when SARS reached our soil. It was totally stomped out in 6 months.

Look, you get what you pay for. Wear the best mask if you're lucky enough to have an N95. There is a good YouTube video on how to make a close second to the N95. I have friends wearing bandana's when they had N95's in their basement. That's just dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 02:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You get it. I bought 10 KN95's from a hardware store recently. They were around $4.50 a piece. They are the Chinese equivalent to our N95. I've been looking on line for Korean KMOEL or European FFP2 masks. Australia makes P2 and Japan makes D5. All are better than surgical masks or bandana's.

I prefer to wear my N95, but they don't last forever and we only have 3. The KN95's are our back ups. I'm hoping Home Depot stocks the N95's again before fall. I'll be buying some for the second wave of this next fall.

Our response to this is still third world. Masks should have been required in January. Taiwan. Less than 500 cases with zero new cases and 6 deaths. That response should have been our response here like it was in 2003 when SARS reached our soil. It was totally stomped out in 6 months.

Look, you get what you pay for. Wear the best mask if you're lucky enough to have an N95. There is a good YouTube video on how to make a close second to the N95. I have friends wearing bandana's when they had N95's in their basement. That's just dumb.
I just bought a couple off of Ebay. $20 for 2, its pricey.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:09 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
That's California. We don't abide by such heavy-handed commands.

It's their prerogative. But it's not a law.
Who said it was a law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
At some point we need to cast off the panic-mode and return to normal interaction. Be brave!
We have close to 60,000 confirmed cases and 2,430 deaths in our state so far. Nothing to pretend to "be brave" about.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Many states are requiring masks. Some states that weren't hard hit aren't requiring them. I guess maybe if I lived in Wyoming or Montana and lived out in a rural area I wouldn't bother. But if you're living in a populated area, you should probably be wearing one.

I was lucky because someone made some for me. The town also had volunteers who were making masks so that might be another option for people. Call your municipal offices and see if they have any masks available or if they know where to get some. Could try calling your health dept. too.

It's not time to discontinue mask wearing because this pandemic will probably get worse now that people are starting to venture out more. It spreads like wildfire and it doesn't care what political party you belong to or what you believe. These are weird times and so we have to get used to some weird stuff--like wearing a mask. But people need to stop whining. This is just a first world problem.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:06 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I wouldn't pay $0.01 for a mask; even less for a box of them. I reject mass hysteria; yet I enjoy staying home.

Masks provide "the illusion of safety". Of course, if people want to wear them and think there is a benefit, go for it. But I will not participate.
Not really

Imagine not wearing clothes and someone else peeing on you while not wearing clothes, you get really wet, not good!

Now, you put on clothes and the same nude person pees on you, you are almost as wet, not good!

Now you both are wearing clothes and the other person tries to pee on you, who gets the wettest?

That's what masks (other than respirators and N95s) do. They prevent someone else from hacking all over you while doing the same for others if you cough or sneeze!

Be considerate!

Old 05-07-2020, 08:52 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Not really

Imagine not wearing clothes and someone else peeing on you while not wearing clothes, you get really wet, not good!

That's a guy thing.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:00 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I wouldn't pay $0.01 for a mask; even less for a box of them. I reject mass hysteria; yet I enjoy staying home.

Masks provide "the illusion of safety". Of course, if people want to wear them and think there is a benefit, go for it. But I will not participate.
I agree. I don’t wear a mask at home either. But I sure mask up to get groceries.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:33 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
And are they going to supply them? What if someone can't find any or can't afford face masks? I bought 10 for $19.99 online Sunday with a shipping time of 10 days. If I wanted them the next day the shipping cost was $99!!! Can you believe that?
I don't live in Illinois, just in the neighboring State so I get all of their news. If you don't wear some kind of face covering (mas, scarf, etc) out in public they can deny you access into public places such as stores.

Chicago is a new hot spot and is getting thousands of new cases a day. If they have any chance of re-opening, people there need to cover up and take this seriously!

Old 05-07-2020, 02:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I made ours for free, by cutting up a Scott shop towel to fit inside a standard dust mask. Couple of staples, and voila it's done.

It's not pretty, but nobody recognizes you in a mask anyway, so who cares.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:06 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
The idea of wearing a mask goes both ways.
Primarily protecting OTHERS FROM YOU.
Secondarily, protecting you from airborne virus and keeping your filthy hands you touch everything with, off your face.
Saw a little boy lower his mask to wipe his nose with his hand and then touch everything in sight.
Most people seem to have no idea what the mask is for.
If you are asymptomatic you can be spreading the disease and feel no symptoms what so ever.
People can die as a result because you don't think you are infected, or that is that important, of course, unless it hits home, then you're looking for someone to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness